Skip to main content
Topic: How to use search function (Read 935 times) previous topic - next topic
How to use search function
Enclosed is some screenshots with notations .......
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: How to use search function
Reply #1
Great post!  I've pinned it to the top (stickied)  :)

Reply #2
Here's a hopefully useful topic on how to use the forum's Search function for those who haven't tried it.

Reply #3
I sure would like to know how to use the search function. I see nothing pinned ?????
Well, if search can find 'Hot water heater'.  And not anything containing hot or water or heater.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
I sure would like to know how to use the search function. I see nothing pinned ?????

Did you not read the first post of this topic?

It's also the first pinned topic on the General Discussions board

If you are only viewing topics from the landing page (which only shows the most recent activity), you might want to review LDO Forum View

Reply #5
Search Function Tips/Instructions

Also these instruction, Don, which are pinned in the Site Instructional Guides forum.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
I think part of my search problems is the way I’ve been accessing the feature. I’ve been doing it through the splash page, instead of the drop down menu, which doesn’t allow advanced filtering (see upper righthand box in photo). Maybe others are doing the same?  🤔
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
Did you not read the first post of this topic?

It's also the first pinned topic on the General Discussions board

Nope, You fooled me. I saw pictures, did not look at the pictures to see they were captioned.

Ah pinned to a forum. Silly me expected to see it on the splash page I will never remember the forum, so I have created a bookmarked short cut.

Is this search new? The only search I knew about was here
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=search
And was not very usable.

Thanks

Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Search Function Tips/Instructions

Also these instruction, Don, which are pinned in the Site Instructional Guides forum.

Chris

Sorry, Chris, never knew about it. And I probably will forget it before dinner. Let's see click on Forum, scroll down a few screens, and there it is Site Instructional Guide. aka Help. This old dog is just can not learn any more new stuff.

Put it in perspective. Search and Help are a heck of a lot more important than Mentions.
As with Search, it should be at the top of the Splash/Opening page. New users and people with short memories should not be "punished".

35 years in IT, I have some opinions.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Sorry, Chris, never knew about it. And I probably will forget it before dinner. Let's see click on Forum, scroll down a few screens, and there it is Site Instructional Guide. aka Help. This old dog is just can not learn any more new stuff.

Put it in perspective. Search and Help are a heck of a lot more important than Mentions.
As with Search, it should be at the top of the Splash/Opening page. New users and people with short memories should not be "punished".

35 years in IT, I have some opinions.
If you get lost on the way to SEARCH, Don, just give a shout out and someone will get you there. 🙂

Chris

Reply #10
Chris, it's not just me. The ability to locate information keeps people asking again and again. That was the impetus for The Companion.

The Search that was just made known to me under Community is a huge improvement over the one under Media.
Frankly, what the use of the latter one? We had that with Yahoo.

I maintain that Search is important enough to rate being added to the gray bar at the top of the screen.

Neither Community or Media are words that suggest to an English reader that a search function can be found there.

Community - a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.

Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #11
Years ago I built and maintained my wife’s website when she ran an internet business.  I found that user feedback was paramount in making for an enjoyable experience and keeping users coming back.  A simple “Advanced” button next to the existing search text box in the page header that would take you to the community search page would be an easy and intuitive fix.  I urge the webmaster to consider this fix.

Thank you,
John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #12
I have made our administrators aware of these suggestions. Let's see what they say.

Chris

Reply #13
Years ago I built and maintained my wife’s website when she ran an internet business.  I found that user feedback was paramount in making for an enjoyable experience and keeping users coming back.  A simple “Advanced” button next to the existing search text box in the page header that would take you to the community search page would be an easy and intuitive fix.  I urge the webmaster to consider this fix.

Agreed!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264