Skip to main content
Topic: Handy Weather Info for RVer's on the Move! (Read 429 times) previous topic - next topic
Handy Weather Info for RVer's on the Move!
Good Morning,

Tomorrow we will join the RV fold for summer!  In preparation I was looking at various weather info and over the years have found forecasting from the National Weather Service to be the most accurate.  The following web link is handy for checking for various weather quickly - like Highs, Lows, Chance of precipitation, etc...

National Weather Service

The link works great on my phone but of course got me thinking - is there an app for that?!  I have a few apps - myradar and accuweather, and have checked out a few more, but so far I like the national weather service link best for trip planning.

If anyone has a weather app that you really like - please share!

Happy Travels,

Pete
Pete
1994 RB

Re: Handy Weather Info for RVer's on the Move!
Reply #1
Dark Sky.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Wunderground
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
My Radar

Great for local and long range looks .....
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
Weather.Gov APP Page
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
"The link works great on my phone but of course got me thinking - is there an app for that?!  I have a few apps - myradar and accuweather, and have checked out a few more, but so far I like the national weather service link best for trip planning".

I agree with Peter.  I've used the NWS for a long time.  IMO, it is the best place to get current, accurate weather information for almost any location in the USA.  Easy navigation on either my computer or phone. 

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #9
Very welcome, Randy! 😉
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Thanks eveyone!
Pete
1994 RB

Reply #11
NWS NOW in the App Store. You can insert numerous locations or go off GPS. Has current conditions, hourly forecast weather, 7 Day Forecast, Forecast Discussion, Radar and Weather Maps. Includes Outlooks, Watches, and Warnings. All right from the horse's mouth, the National Weather Service. It is essentially the NWS's digital database to your area of interest.

If you want short-term forecasts of specific parameters, such as rainfall, say out to 18-21 hours or so. Go here...

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_ncep_jet

The output can be sectorized. Play with the drop-down menus.

Long-range direct model output of temp, wind, rainfall out to 384 hours from the Global Forecast System (GFS), go here..

GFS SAMPLED POINTS

You need it insert an ICAO Identifier (such as KPHX for Phoenix). The output is in Zulu Time steps, updated every 6 hours or so.

Chuck
X-NWS Meteorologist

1997 RB

Reply #12
Chuck, is the “NWS NOW” app you mention labeled “Forecast NOW” (app developed by Kelley Technology) in the App store? I found four “NWS” apps, but none labeled “NWS NOW”.

Thanks for any information.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
My apologies, the app is no longer in the "Play Store" for Android. It has moved to the Amazon App Store. It is a Free download.

Chuck
1997 RB

Reply #14
Available for Android only, unfortunately.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
That is an issue for sure. I don't know if this author is working on that. I do know he is and has been working on improvements.

Chuck
1997 RB