Skip to main content
Topic: Toting a Motorcycle/ Scooter (Read 175 times) previous topic - next topic
Toting a Motorcycle/ Scooter
I know this issue has been discussed before, and that several of you have toted motorcycles or scooters on the back hitch of the LD. I'm wondering how much (vertical) weight can the stock LD hitch handle? With the inevitable bouncing that occurs, is an upgrade recommended?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Toting a Motorcycle/ Scooter
Reply #1
I carry a 250 cc motorcycle on the back of my 96 FL.
It's wet weight is 280 lbs. I had made a custom rack utilizing 3 attachment points to spread out the weight a bit. It's rock solid back there, has been for 12 years now.

It's been great having it along, the money it saves me by not having to move the RV to get errands done is huge.
Explore new areas to find likely hidey holes to get the RV into is also a big plus.

Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #2
I'm no engineer but I know with the load cantilevered out the downward (vertical) weight on the hitch quickly becomes more than the actual weight of the motorcycle and carrier.  With that said,  we carry a Honda 250 Rebel that weighs about 320 pounds on the back of our 24 foot twin king.  We had the hitch "beefed up." Like others have mentioned, the welder added two additional supports coming directly from the frame, and not the bumper, that connect to the carrier.   The carrier is still removable.

We have had no problems or issues in over two years of use and 20,000 miles.   When the weather is wet I wish I had a car as a toad, but for the most part this has worked great for us.  Not surprisingly, with the weight of the Honda and carrier hanging on the back it has increased the weight on the drive axle and reduced the weight on the front axle.   I have noticed no difference in handling.

I should add the helpful information provided by Jon and Loni, including pictures under "albatross" were what I patterned my modification on.
Joe
Joe
2015 TK

Reply #3
Depending on the age of your RV, your stock hitch vertical rating is between 300 and 400 pounds.  Yes, bouncing adds load beyond the simple weight of the rack and bike.  Getting things beefed up is probably wise.

As Joe said above, the cantilever effect will add about 50% greater load to the rear axle than the actual weight of the components you are hanging on the hitch.  So, if you put 400 pounds on the hitch, you are increasing the rear axle load by about 600 pounds.  You may want to check your actuyal loaded axle weights before spending too much money.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB