Skip to main content
Topic: Questions regarding newer LDs and possible renovations (Read 430 times) previous topic - next topic
Questions regarding newer LDs and possible renovations
Hi all,

I am in an existential housing crisis and seriously considering buying a newer, slightly larger LD to live in for a while while I figure out where I want to live. I need to continue my job in the bay area, but I don't really need to be here most of the time. I was reading the classified forum and looking at the various models listed for sale.  Wondering about:

1) Why do newer models have 3 burner stoves? My 1991 has a 4 burner, which I think is better. I noticed the newer (and crappier) RVs I looked at before getting my LD all had 3 burner stoves. Why the change?

2) On the midbath (or rear lounge), i.e. the model with the opposing sofas in the rear, could one of the sofas be removed to have a foldable table installed? I think I have seen someone online that created a full office in the rear of a LD, or some other RV. I have no need for two sofas, but it would be great as a rear lounge and office.  If i could have one sofa removed and replaced with a table top that could fold down, and/or some type of storage underneath, similar to the dinette seat storage, THAT would be ideal. Even better if the table top could fold away and the storage had less depth than the sofa, thereby leaving more floor space, as then I could have my dogs' crates in there for times that containment is necessary.

3) What model/engine/accessories would be necessary to tow a smaller car? In my case a 2006 Corolla.

Thoughts?

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Re: Questions regarding newer LDs and possible renovations
Reply #1
I’m just guessing on the stove burner question. But I think having 4 burners so close together makes if difficult to fit that many pans. I know I have that issue with just a couple pans on the 3 burner stove. Also when I had 4 burners I can’t remember one time I used them all at the Same time. Matter of fact I don’t ever remember doing 4 burners at the same time on my home stove LoL. I have seen some newer rv’s with 2 burner stoves.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #2
What Duro said.

We had 4 burners on my previous LD and never used more than two at a time.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
We have a 4 burner stove,  We do occasionally use 3 burners but typically only 2 (even in stick and brick homes).
Larger pans (12” fry pans) need more space and do not play well with other pans beside them. 
If a 3 burner is the same overall size the pans would fit better,
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #4
Andy Baird remodeled a TK and then a midbath to make a back office.  He has pics - I think on his blog.  Do a search for his name and desk and you should be able to fi d it,
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #5
Lisa, according to the Motorhome magazine dinghy towing guide, a 2006 Toyota Corolla automatic is not towable four-down; the manual transmission is. You could check Remco towing to see if there are realistic modifications that can be made.

Re: Four vs. three stove burners. As others have said, the Wedgewood/Atwood stove in the LD doesn't have enough space for four burners and whatever might be plopped on top of them; be happy that it's not a two-burner as in many current RVs.  ;)

Re: reconfiguring the interior and removing built-in "furniture"; there have been many threads on this topic over the years. If you do a search, I think you'll find that the prevailing wisdom is that it is very difficult to remove couches and/or other pieces of furniture without risking damage. LD does not do Ikea-type KD furniture; they screw and bolt and caulk and staple everything into place from the outside as the LD is built. I don't say that ripping out couches and dinettes and tables and whatnot is impossible, only that, from what I understand, it's a big job, and one that can be easily screwed up.

As ever, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Lisa,

When we bought our 01 Mid bath,  (two sofas in the back that make into a king) the previous owner had removed the drivers side cushions and pull out section, they let the back rest stay in the down position and placed a work surface above and supported by the base, they had a small file cabinet, shelves for computer accessories, and a keyboard pull out tray.  It was a great working office area.  Under the rear sofa's is storage that opens from the outside so you could remove the complete base, but that is a lot of exterior storage area to give up. I believe they used the over cab as their sleeping area.  Or the remaining rear sofa can be made into a twin.

Upgrade frenzy

This is a link to Andy Baird's web page with lots of pics,  he had two different LD's 

The previous owners were great and had saved all the parts and pieces and we were able to replace the rear bed. We use it all the time.  We just don't like sleeping in the over cab area. 
Best of luck in your future adventures.

Theresa
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #7
Hi Lisa. The third burner in the middle front is a higher output burner(9,000 btuh) than the two in the back(6,500 btuh each). Clearance around the front burner didn't allow for more than one high output. I find the back burners useful for simmering/keep warm purposes, and the front burner for high heat searing/frying. That change from four burners happened about mid 1990's. Lazy Daze uses the same ovens/stove tops other manufacturers use.
    Any changes to the stock floorplans will hurt resale value. While you can say you'd take that tradeoff now, you might change your tune when you can't even get people interested in buying your modified rig at a future date. Unless of course you can find someone who wants exactly the modifications you ended up with. Unless you do it yourself, it would cost an armload to have it  done. Most 'converters' out there have no concept of what it is like to work on a Lazy Daze! It is not like those other brands, and any mods, might not be done as well as you would expect. I've seen results, years later, of amateurish work.
   Newer V10 E450 chassis's can successfully pull small (light) cars. Honda's Fit is one. The car's drivetrain has to be compatible with being pulled along. More rare than you would think these days.       RonB         
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
Lisa,

If you have the patience and you appear to have plenty, there are LD’s with a single sofa and the two barrel chairs (removable) with the built in fold up table in the rear.

This is an option that is still currently available. Search and you shall find.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #9
On a purely spitballing level .....

It's been my feeling that RVing is about a $100,000 level investment give or take   You pay it upfront or you pay it in installments to get to the point of being useful for travel, camping and/or living.    It's my feeling that humans can adjust to just about any floor plan.   What we can't change in an RV is the 'guts' ie tires, rear axle, springs, engine, etc.    It's my suggestion to folks that listen to me is to pick the 'guts' first then look for a layout that they feel comfortable with. 

Of course I'm only spitballing here ...... 
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #10
Hey,
Our 2000 MB was ordered as a "Rear Lounge" (one sofa & two barrel chairs). I talked Ed Newton into supplying it with only one chair and no table. It was like pulling teeth with Ed but he went along with it. I built out the back with a desk and a printer stand. (See Ron's Mods in the old yahoo files). The biggest problem with taking out the sofa on the driver's side is what to do with the outside storage under that bed. I think Andy Baird did that conversion and might have answers.

Ron
2009 Kodiak32 IB
Ron

Reply #11
Thanks, Theresa, for posting the link to my "Upgrade frenzy" page, which shows one way to replace a midbath's couch with a desk. I later scaled back the size of the desk by eliminating the drop-leaf extension, after I found that I didn't really need the extra space. And then before selling the rig, a friend helped me remove the desk entirely and build a platform couch/bed in the space originally occupied by the LD couch/bed. :-)

My "Follow the leader" web page gives an idea of what's involved in towing a small car.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #12
Some people, like my dear ol’ Dad, could easily get carried away modifying their rv’s. Just a word of caution, “Don’t get too carried away” or you may end up with something like this. https://youtu.be/_ALAO4Hp9Ek

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #13
Some people, like my dear ol’ Dad, could easily get carried away modifying their rv’s. Just a word of caution, “Don’t get too carried away” or you may end up with something like this. https://youtu.be/_ALAO4Hp9Ek

Be very careful .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze