Skip to main content
Topic: Hubcaps (Wheel Covers) and TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) (Read 653 times) previous topic - next topic
Hubcaps (Wheel Covers) and TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
We're a couple weeks into our maiden voyage.

At about a 1,000 miles had a pressure check at a tire shop. 

Today did my first solo pressure check.  The front tires were a piece of cake.  The rear tires were a major pain and I had to take the hub caps off to get a pressure check ( purchased a dually pressure gauge at the tire shop. 

We're planning a TPMS, but will need to replace the valve stems first (according to the tire guy) .

I'm tempted to take the hubcaps off, but of course we'll need to store them until we get home.

Any suggestions???
Steve and Annette
2019 TK 24

Re: Hubcaps (Wheel Covers)
Reply #1
On which point(s) do you want 'suggestions'?  A basic suggestion is a strong recommendation to install long/configured brass or stainless valves on the rear duals; the long valves make checking and airing the rear tires very simple!

Duallyvalve Kits for Ford, GM, Dodge - Class C
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Steve,

Following Joan’s link is an easy way to achieve your goal.

To make it any easier just give them a call and tell them what chassis you have. They will ask about the tire size and the shape of the wheel cover openings. On the late model, the openings are oval.

The TPMS is a different story. We use the Tire Minder TM66 others use different systems. No matter which system you purchase it’s almost crazy not to have one of the available systems installed (a DIY project). A digital tire pressure gauge is also advisable.

Good luck and enjoy your LD.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Find a 2 way tire gauge for trucks.
I had to use a dial gauge  with straight forward chuck and angled rear chuck  instead of angled 2 way chuck.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #4
On which point(s) do you want 'suggestions'?  A basic suggestion is a strong recommendation to install long/configured brass or stainless valves on the rear duals; the long valves make checking and airing the rear tires very simple!

Just did this today and I think they are going to work out perfectly. I had the braided hoses and they had wear from the hubcap. I got the linc off this site and the people were great to deal with.

Duallyvalve Kits for Ford, GM, Dodge - Class C
1994 MB

Reply #5
"I had to take the hub caps off..."

Minor point of contention, no Lazy Daze I've ever seen has had 'Hub Caps'!

I have to presume that the items of which you speak are the Wheel Covers. They are best removed whenever work is needed on the wheel rims and tires. Sometimes they (wheel covers) can be a pain until you understand how they work. They need not be removed, however, if you have the long solid valve stems that most of us favor.

Best to start off with the correct terminology so that everyone comprehends what is being discussed.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
[/color]"I had to take the hub caps off..."

Minor point of contention, no Lazy Daze I've ever seen has had 'Hub Caps'!

I have to presume that the items of which you speak are the Wheel Covers. They are best removed whenever work is needed on the wheel rims and tires. Sometimes they (wheel covers) can be a pain until you understand how they work. They need not be removed, however, if you have the long solid valve stems that most of us favor.

Best to start off with the correct terminology so that everyone comprehends what is being discussed.  ;)
You say TomAto, I say TomAHto,   you say PotAto, I say Spud
More on Wheel Covers and Hubcaps
:o      ;)
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
In regards to the  “decorative” Wheel Covers, I would add that one of if not the best tools for easily removing the covers is a “Tire Spoon” (See pic). Preferably no longer than 10-15” in length with a spoon on both ends. The Ford OEM tire iron is useless in as much as it tends to strike the side of the coach and is awkward to use.

Just a thought.

Kent

Reply #8
Hi Kent; are your wheel covers "press-fit"  i.e. snap on covers? Mine require removing two 'fake' lug nuts, and the covers just fall off. No spoon or pry bar required.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #9
Ron, the wheel covers on pre-2007 rigs used the two lug nut/acorn cap style that have to be removed with the special tool; subsequent years have a press-on wheel cover, AFAIK.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Ron,

Yes mine are press on. I completely forgot about the previous style. My mistake.

My brother purchased a 2010 Jayco Greyhawk with the lug nuts. He and I struggled on how to remove them. Me 1000 miles away and him with no Class C experience. His tire store helped him out. I believe he purchased the press on wheel covers as an upgrade.

Kent

Reply #11
We're a couple weeks into our maiden voyage.

At about a 1,000 miles had a pressure check at a tire shop. 

Today did my first solo pressure check.  The front tires were a piece of cake.  The rear tires were a major pain and I had to take the hub caps off to get a pressure check ( purchased a dually pressure gauge at the tire shop. 

We're planning a TPMS, but will need to replace the valve stems first (according to the tire guy) .

I'm tempted to take the hubcaps off, but of course we'll need to store them until we get home.

Any suggestions???

I'm one of them that hates the Ford E450 wheel covers.   Yes hate
.   Being of a certain age my skin isn't as tuff as it used to be.   When I reached in to check tire pressure on the rear duels I'd pull back a bloody wrist/hand.   Also the holes in the wheel covers are not made for an adult male hand.  And no matter how nice I'll never be able to talked DW into checking air pressures ..... quote "not my job" end quote.   For a few years we went without the rear wheel covers.   We hated the look but safety was more important.  Last year I give in -- we put the covers back on.   I've accepted the fact I'll have to remove them to check air pressure.    The issue is I'm not a fan of extensions.   I know they have been around since God created a truck with duels.   <smile> one of my very few personal quirks.

On a side note I've been thru two different TPMS systems.   I wouldn't leave home without them.  
I have a personal fav but either will do a good job.
Tire Minder
TST

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #12
I hate chrome, always have.
I took the simulators off and painted my wheels semi gloss black.
4 less things I have to worry about, and save a little bit of weight.
Though, I wouldn't mind some aluminum wheels.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #13
Colddog, the long and U-shaped valves are *not* ‘extensions’; they replace the OEM valves in the wheels. Installing these valves makes checking and airing tires hassle-free and without the risk of drawing blood!

I had the first set installed immediately after taking delivery of my 2003 almost 16 years ago; when a mechanic broke the tip off one of the valves two or three years ago, I ordered a second set from ‘The Tireman’; I would not go down the road without these valves.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Years ago Andy Baird abandoned his wheel covers, opting instead to paint the wheels to suit himself. I went looking for the info on that upgrade but was unable to find it.   :-[
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Ron, the wheel covers on pre-2007 rigs used the two lug nut/acorn cap style that have to be removed with the special tool; subsequent years have a press-on wheel cover, AFAIK.
Our early 2007 TK has the two lug nut/acorn cap style covers. Have already replaced three of the lug nut/acorn caps due to being cross-threaded or stripped. Luckily I bought eight and will replace the rest as they age-out. Wanted Alcoa aluminum wheels but I have talked myself out of them; mainly because they cannot be installed on the inner duals.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #16
So essentially those newer press on stainless steel wheel covers, (not chrome) can at any time un-press themselves and disappear at any moment, to become a hazard for other motorists. I'm saved from the complexity of the 2001 and newer wheel lug extensions. My wheel studs are long enough from Ford to not need extenders, so mounting the KII wheel covers is pretty simple.   Soon I'll be getting new tires again, and I'll be switching from my 20 year old rubber hose extensions, to the one piece, bent, long tire  valves. It will be easier to install a flow through TPM system.   RonB

Reply #17
Ron,  what system are you looking at?   I have extensions, but not flow through.  So have to unscrew the tpm sensors whenever I want to check or change air pressure.

Reply #18
Ron,  what system are you looking at?  I have extensions, but not flow through.  So have to unscrew the tpm sensors whenever I want to check or change air pressure.
In case you haven't read this great thread from The Lazy Daze Companion, here it is: The Lazy Daze Companion: Tire Pressure Management Systems (TPMS)

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #19
Kent H. installed fittings on his tire stems to allow 'pass through air filling' with his system. Maybe he can elaborate.  His post was reply #16 May 21, 2018.   Flow Through Valve Stem Adapters and our TPMS
   RonB

Reply #20
Can someone post some photos of their wheel covers so us visual folks have a better idea of what is being discussed?  My '85 had white painted rims so this was not an issue.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #23
The best thing about the Tire Minder flow through valve is the fact that the Sending Unit does not need to be removed when checking/adding air.

Now I can service all my tires in less than 10 minutes. Beats the 30+ minutes it used to take. The flow through valve eliminates the frustration of removing & reinstalling the Sending Unit for all 6 tires (sometimes multiple times each to get the pressure right). That’s something I’ll never miss.

More time for coffee. That’s always nice.

Kent

Reply #24
I had the long valves and my TPMS installed in 2008.  Since then, I have replaced my sensors once, at the end of the battery life of the first set.  I have the snap on wheel covers.

With the TPMS, I can check all 10 tires, RV + TOAD, in less than a minute without leaving the driver's seat.  If a tire has a low reading, I can remove its sensor, add air, and replace the sensor without dealing with the wheel covers at all.  With the TPMS, driving down the road, I know what my tire pressure is.  If you rely on a tire gauge and a morning check before you start out, you know what your tire pressure used to be.  I know someone who ruined a tire, the fancy wheel, and the rotor on his TOAD, in 30 miles of towing.  It wa fine when he left one place, and the tire was gone when he arrived at his destination.  His bill was over $1600.  Like Joan, I would not think of traveling without my TPMS.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB