Skip to main content
Topic: 120 Smart TV or 12V LED and Roku? (Read 285 times) previous topic - next topic
120 Smart TV or 12V LED and Roku?
Hi all,

My LD is in the RV shop getting another once over before our maiden voyage. As I thought might be the case, my 32" smart TV is just too big to be mounted anywhere in the rear of the vehicle, so I'm looking to get a smaller LED to travel. I started researching and now understand the difference between 120 and 12 V.  Seems like the special 12V makes more sense in the event I'm dry camping and really dying to watch some netflix (assuming there is Verizon signal available...). I read about inverters, but I'd rather not waste battery power for that.

Unfortunately there is no 12V Smart tv yet, so my options appear to be limited to a 12V LED and a Roku stick or 120 Smart TV.

Another consideration is that I've only seen two 12V outlets in my rig- one over the stove, the other along the baseboard midway between dinette and rear of house. That means I'd have to have a very long cord in order to have my TV mounted in the rear.

Thoughts?

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Re: 120 Smart TV or 12V LED and Roku?
Reply #1
Looks like adding another 12V outlet is the next item on your to-do-list.
That topic has been bounced around a few times on the board.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Just for the record, I really like Roku. I have a couple of them and they are very user friendly. I think that a 12V TV would be the best way to go, especially if you think you may be doing any boondocking.  You can always download movies to your phone or tablet, as well.

Then again, you're camping. Who needs TV anyway!  ;)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
A few year ago I opted for 12 with DVD, as I wanted places without cell nor wifi, and added the Amazon stick( what ever that is).
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
There a lots of websites, including Amazon, that sell 12v appliances (including TV's) for RV's, marine use, etc.  Search and you will see.

Pete
Pete
1994 RB

Reply #6
Here's a link to a recent thread about new TV recommendations that may be helpful..

new tv recommendations
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #8
Lisa,

If you can find my post on the 12volt blue ray player hunt you can see how I ditched the inverter.

Simply put many Samsung players can do Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon all on 12volt for about $100.00

Take a look at my post for the “wall wort” 110 to 12 volt converter. Any player with the 12 volt input on the rear can by run on 12 volt from your rig. Just check my post for the inexpensive components you’ll need. Pretty straight forward.

For additional 12 volt in our RB, I opted for a 15’ 12 volt power cord. About $6.00 on Amazon. I use it all the time. Much easier than getting underneath the dinette for power.

There may be TV’s that have the same 12 volt capabilities. Just look on the back of the set to see if it has the 12volt input. Here’s a pic of the input I’m talking about.

Good luck with your hunt.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #9
There a lots of websites, including Amazon, that sell 12v appliances (including TV's) for RV's, marine use, etc.  Search and you will see.

Pete

I did check Amazon and a couple RV sites. I read reviews for the two main brands, too.  The issue for me is the lack of 12V outlet in rear of my LD where I want to use the TV. For now I'm just going to get a regular 110 (I realize my error above referring to 120) TV since I can pick one up at local Best Buy for $100 or less.
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #10

Simply put many Samsung players can do Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon all on 12volt for about $100.00

Take a look at my post for the “wall wort” 110 to 12 volt converter. Any player with the 12 volt input on the rear can by run on 12 volt from your rig. Just check my post for the inexpensive components you’ll need. Pretty straight forward.

Kent

Kent, are you referring to DVD players? I don't really watch many movies and don't use DVDs. I would love to see if any of the Smart TVs have a 12V input on the back. If anyone knows of one, please share!

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #12
Lisa,

I’m really not sure which current tv manufactures include “smart apps” such as Netflix etc. For the $100, the Samsung Blu-ray player does a good job of streaming programs as long as a decent WiFi or Hot Spot signal is available.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"