Skip to main content
Topic: dark spot on wood - wetness?? (Read 122 times) previous topic - next topic
dark spot on wood - wetness??
So while cleaning up the RV in prep of a trip, I noticed a dark spot on some wood. It's the passengers' side rear outside storage bin. I took off the white panel to fully expose everything. It doesn't feel wet to the touch. None of the carpet is wet. I stuck a moisture meter on it. Down at the bottom where the dark spot is, it reads 10%. Way up at the top it's reading 7-8%.

I can't see anywhere where water could get to this point.

What say the experts here. Should I be overly concerned?
2001 MB

Re: dark spot on wood - wetness??
Reply #1
So while cleaning up the RV in prep of a trip, I noticed a dark spot on some wood. It's the passengers' side rear outside storage bin. I took off the white panel to fully expose everything. It doesn't feel wet to the touch. None of the carpet is wet. I stuck a moisture meter on it. Down at the bottom where the dark spot is, it reads 10%. Way up at the top it's reading 7-8%.

Don't know if it is problem but it doesn't look serious, It has been wet at some point, if it isn't soft, just keep an eye on when you wash it or when it rains.  The storage compartment may have been washed out or it sat with the exterior door open, in the rain.
It the wet look continues to spread, then you need to track down the source.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze