Skip to main content
Topic: Awning Tools Case (Read 342 times) previous topic - next topic
Awning Tools Case
We've been unhappy with simply wrapping the awning crank tool and the awning support strut in towels to protect them while in the Driver's Side rear storage compartment in our MB.  So today, Margee made a case for these two (2) parts using some left-over heavy vinyl that we used to replace the fabric trim on the dinette table seats.  Each part has it's own pocket.  I will have warm thoughts about DW every time I use these awning parts.

Re: Awning Tools Case
Reply #1
Can you tell me what that support strut is? I happened to notice that in one of our outside storage cabinets is what I thought was an extra arm for the awning. I haven't pulled it out to see what the ends looks like.

Sean
2001 MB

Reply #2
Sean,

I can answer that if Ed doesn’t mind. The support arm attaches to the extended awning in the center while it is attached to the bracket above the coach door on a RB. Other floor plans may have a slightly different location but it will be toward the center of the awning on the exterior of the coach.

It is attached during the extension process as the two legs/arms are pushed outward and the awning is being lifted upward. Once the support arms (left and right) are tightened in place the locking mechanism on the “center support” is tightened.

Without the center support arm excessive weight is placed on the left and right legs/arms which can cause the awning to collapse toward the side of the coach.

After viewing awning videos on YouTube I noticed that many RV awnings do not have the center brace for whatever reason, however, the LD center support can get in the way of the coach door if the awning isn’t set high enough.

Hope this helps.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
I came up with a very cheap and easy to use solution for the stowing of the awning crank and support. Just inside the door I mounted a broom-clamp that held both pieces securely and could be easily reached from outside.

Reply #4
Another way of storing the crank and strut.  They are mounted just inside the coach door.
Awning handle and support | Flickr
The crank is hung on an eye bolt and secured again the wall with stick-back velcro.
The strut is extended between two short pieces of 1/2" PVC pipe that are screwed to the wall.

Our 23.5' FL has a short awning and doesn't really need the strut. If the wind suddenly comes up, a deployed strut will prevent quick retracting, it needing to be removed first.
Many LD owner have lost their light-weight Fiamma awnings, ripped off in wind gusts, they do not stand up to high winds. 
Wind worries me enough that I leave the crank hanging on the awning's eye whenever the awning is extended, to expedite rapidly retracting.
Here's tip on retracting it even faster. Loosen the the arm' adjusting screws and retract the awing with the arms still attached to the wall. When rolled tight, with so little awning fabric is left exposed,  high winds doesn't damage it.
Often it's left retracted this way when we are away or a night.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
"I came up with a very cheap and easy to use solution for the stowing of the awning crank and support. Just inside the door I mounted a broom-clamp that held both pieces securely and could be easily reached from outside"

Howdy Ted,

Between swatting at mosquitoes on Michigan's Upper Peninsula,  I have noticed you started posting here again. Could it be that you are thinking it may be time for your 3rd Lazy Daze? Why not make the 3rd time a charm and get a midbath this time? You could "Make RVing America great again!"...50 miles a day!

Steve K. (Needing another dose of Deep Woods Off...damn skeeters)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #6
Nothing but a RB would do, Steve!