Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze 30IB Entertainment Center convert to Bunk (Read 616 times) previous topic - next topic
Lazy Daze 30IB Entertainment Center convert to Bunk
Hello,

Has anyone ever removed the front entertainment center and converted this to a sleeping bunk?

I need to add some additional bed space.

Re: Lazy Daze 30IB Entertainment Center convert to Bunk
Reply #1
Click on the 'Community' tab on the home page of the forum, then click on 'Search', and type 'Convert Entertainment Center to Bunk' in the search bar; several relevant posts will show up.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yes,

I had found those posts from the past,  I was hoping someone had done it on their own and maybe had good luck.

Can the barrel chairs be removed, and an identical sofa from the other side of the RV be installed t ofold down to  create one large bed? Has any one done this?

I did this to a 26.5 mid bath a few years ago in the back and we LOVED it.

Reply #3
"Has anyone ever removed the front entertainment center and converted this to a sleeping bunk?"

You may want to call Vince at the Mothership and ask his opinion on that topic.  ::)

But I can tell you what he will say, "The overhead on the 30/31' models are not built to the same standards as the other floor plans and because of that will not sustain the weight you intend to place upon it. Sorry!"

Great storage area for lightweight items but not for people.  :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Any input on removing barrel chairs for a second sofa?

Reply #5
I don't remember anyone on the forum changing the entertainment center into a bunk or removing the cabinet between the barrel chairs.
You can be a pioneer.
Be aware that the cabinet was not designed to be removable, it most likely will come apart in small pieces.
The entertainment center will not come apart easily either. While it was not built as a bunk, the overhead is constructed in a very similar manner and should be acceptable for use as a bunk if you can figure out how to it.
You will end up with damage and holes to the walls and paneling, so consider this before proceeding.

Are you attempting to sleep a small army? The 31' models have limited cargo capacity, one of the reasons why they are not available with the overhead bunk. It was designed for use by two people, not 5 or 6.
Hope this is an older rig as it will decrease its value.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
I talked with Todd about the weight restrictions behind the entertainment center during the delivery walk-thru.
My take away from that is that I couldn't use that area for the library.  The books would be too heavy.   I don't think it would hold a sleeping body for the long term.

Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
Ok,

Thanks for the replies. I has asked about this a few years ago and the response at that time was the same.

Ill look at adding a second sofa, I do remember the screws on the mid bath coming in from the outside to secure the cabinet. and yes I did damage the paneling removing it!

Reply #8
When I first got my 30IB, I wanted to change out the barrel chairs to the dinette option.  So I called and talked to Vince about how these coaches were constructed.  After a short discussion it became apparent that this was not easy. In fact, the exterior of the coach has to be removed in order to get to the screws.  So I reupholstered the chairs along with the rest of the coach.

Reply #9
Depending upon the bodies to be bedded (e.g., kids/grandkids/adults agile enough for downward dog/etc.) a mattress topper + sleeping bags/bed rolls could be an option that would be less damaging to both the RV & cranial hair.

We did this in the '80s in my folks' Pace Arrow that was essentially the same floor plan as my 31' TB  (with a king bed at home, the jacknife sofa was just too cozy; my farmer husband--never a camper--took the sofa, & the 1 y/o snuggled with me in my still-serviceable Girl Scout sleeping bag).  When the granddaughters have been with me, the 5 y/o beds down in the Fisher-Price just-her-size sleeping bag in the hallway floor (they don't want to share a bed, & the sofa is too far away for her liking).

Tents also worked for us when my kids & I went to the Grand Mesa with the Aunt & Uncle back in the '80s.  Their 30' TT had a permanent spot outside of Cedaredge.  While it could have slept five with the sofa & dinette, it was much better for everyone's sanity to pop a tent in the "front yard."

On the other hand, I once had a really skinny freshman boy who managed to wedge himself onto a bookshelf in my classroom (made a great yearbook photo)--maybe the entertainment center could be turned into something like those Scandinavian cupboard beds...

Good luck deciding the right option for you.  If you choose deconstruction of the LD, hope you share pictures & travelogue of the journey.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #10
When I first got my 30IB, I wanted to change out the barrel chairs to the dinette option.  So I called and talked to Vince about how these coaches were constructed.  After a short discussion it became apparent that this was not easy. In fact, the exterior of the coach has to be removed in order to get to the screws.  So I reupholstered the chairs along with the rest of the coach.
There's a photo here which shows how interior components are attached from the outside. http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=72 - photo 0134

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11

Many people have modified their LD's interiors, removing couches and lounge tables. None of it comes out in one piece, all the interior pieces are screwed in from the outside, requiring the removal by cutting and brute force.
An oscillating tool, with a metal-cutting carbide blade, is useful for cutting the screws and general removal.

The Factory builds these rigs like tanks and they are made to be as strong and monolithic as practical. They feel they have built the best RV possible and anything that modifies the stock coach can and will destroy the integrity of the rig.
LD is a very conservative company and they don't want us messing with their creations and usually will tell you not to do anything that modifies the coach construction. I have seen a few mods that confirm their suspicions.

That said, it is possible to change things without long term damage, if done intelligently and with the right skill set.
Realize that any major changes will cost at least twice as much as estimated and take four times more time to complete than planned and can lower the resale value.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Hey guys,

I know this is an old topic but I wanted to re-visit it as I found a 30IB in FL and again need an overhead bunk for a small child. Has anyone accomplished this yet or seen it done?

Reply #13
Hey guys,

I know this is an old topic but I wanted to re-visit it as I found a 30IB in FL and again need an overhead bunk for a small child. Has anyone accomplished this yet or seen it done?

None of the 31' models have an overhead bunk, taking the entertainment center out is going to do a lot of damage and is going to be a huge project to make it look presentable. Nothing installed by Lazy Daze is designed to be removable, the cabinetry is going to come in pieces, not as a unit.
I suggest finding a floorplan with a bunk.

Larry
Larry

Reply #14
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5m51-7L7C9A

I thought about posting this video before when I first saw it although I forgot. This is a shop in Georgia that only does tpo roofs welded with no seams. They rebuild rotten bunks also. RV ROOF INSTALL on YouTube. They rebuild a rotten lazy daze with the entertainment center in this picture. It doesn’t show everything although it shows a lot. It must of sat for years to get that bad and pooled up in the front seam area.
On the subject of converting the overhead I would think that you could at least instead of the full queen size bed area you could add a single with the weight supported by the cab.

Below is a copy/paste from a thread last year: Reply #67 – A year ago
"How difficult is it to convert the entertainment center back to an overhead bunk?"

Extremely!

The way Steve Newton explained it to me was: "When we are in the construction phase for a coach that will have an entertainment center, the build technique is entirely different in the cab-over because it does not have to meet the weight requirements for a sleeping compartment."

So in essence, it was never intended to be a place to sleep, but to be used only for storage and TV and DVD, etc.   ::)

Reply #15
Ok,

I assumed that was still the case. Just checking in. I am a little torn on if this 30IB is worth looking at or not.

Ill try to post some info if I go look.

Thanks!

Reply #16
Wowza, very informative video, thanks for sharing!
Steve
2003TK

Reply #17
When we picked up our 2013 31IB, Todd warned us not to use the entertainment center for a library due to weight restrictions.  Pillows, not books.
Disclaimer:  if unsupervised, onboard book collection weight could easily exceed that of a small child  ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #18
"When we picked up our 2013 31IB, Todd warned us..."

I too have the 30'IB and in 2004 it came with the same dour warning of which others are speaking, do NOT load the cab-over with heavy stuff, the framework is NOT designed to handle it!  :o    ::)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #19
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5m51-7L7C9A

I thought about posting this video before when I first saw it although I forgot. This is a shop in Georgia that only does tpo roofs welded with no seams. They rebuild rotten bunks also. RV ROOF INSTALL on YouTube. They rebuild a rotten lazy daze with the entertainment center in this picture. It doesn’t show everything although it shows a lot. It must of sat for years to get that bad and pooled up in the front seam area.

It was interesting how they rebuilt the roof with a camber.  As they point out in the video, the combination of the flat LD roof and caulked seams around the perimeter is a bad combination which allows water to pool on the roof. For me personally, this has always been one of the negatives of Lazy Daze construction.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #20
It has always baffled me that Lazy Daze never figured out a way (i.e., camber) to remedy this obvious weakness.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"