Skip to main content
Topic: Ford teases about the 2021 E-Series Cutaway (Read 1677 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford teases about the 2021 E-Series Cutaway
At the bottom of the Ford website page for the E-Series Cutaway chassis ( 2019 Ford® E-Series Cutaway | The Power You Need to Move Your Business |... ) this popped up.

"The new 2021 Ford E-Series Cutaway is ready to build on, with a new 7.3L V8 engine standard. And behind the wheel, there’s even more that’s new. There’s a refreshed interior, as well as a variety of new driver-assist features – including Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Departure Warning to help you drive with confidence."

Big changes coming. No mention yet about the E-Series and the new 10 speed 10R140 transmission which releases at the end of this year in the Super Duty truck line though.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Re: Ford teases about the 2021 E-Series Cutaway
Reply #1
That's exciting news, thanks for sharing!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
That's exciting news, thanks for sharing!
Unless things have changed since '02, it would be nice to have a heater that you could adjust to dash and floor at the same time. 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Unless things have changed since '02, it would be nice to have a heater that you could adjust to dash and floor at the same time.

After my previous '85, I'd be happy to just have cab AC that works. Come to think of it, coach AC (instead of a swamp cooler) would be nice too!   ;D
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
What about the 2020?  Is that going to be the v10 or v8?
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #5
Is the 7.3L “brand new” or has it been used in other applications?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Is the 7.3L “brand new” or has it been used in other applications?
The 7.3l pushrod V8 is a brand new design and will be released in the 2020 MY F-Series Super Duty pickups later this year. The 10-speed 10R140 transmission also releases at the same time. This has been discussed all over the net for at least the last 8-10 weeks. Up until now Ford has never said a thing about this new engine and the E-Series. Word is Ford has begun shutting down the V10 production, if it hasn't already. New Ford F-Series Super Duty Pickup Raises Bar Again with Next-Level...

Here is a video about this new engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #7
What about the 2020?  Is that going to be the v10 or v8?
From what Ford has said it appears the 2020 E-Series engine will be the V10.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #8
After watching the video and reading more about it, I think this newly designed engine holds much promise. I like the fact that they designed it as a package with the 10-speed transmission so anticipate the 2021 E-series chassis will include it.

When I first heard it was a 7.3 liter engine, I was thinking that must be a heavy sucker and was concerned if it would reduce the GVWR of the 2021 chassis but I don’t think that will be an issue. It may even increase it but guess we’ll need to wait until the official specs are published.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
This is good news for future Class C and A buyers. The 7.3-L engine. with a 10 speed transmission will be a huge improvement and should provide better mileage, as well as more power. It may give the E450 many more years of life.

The 7.3 is a switch back to a more conventional, low RPM, push-rod truck engine.
The V10 is an overhead cam engine, designed to run for long periods at high RPMs, it was a big change from conventional truck push-rod engines, which operate at lower RPMs.

The 7.3 was specifically designed for heavy duty applications and towing, it should provide a more pleasant driving experience. Combined with the new 10-speed transmission, there will always be a gear that keeps the engine's RPM in its most efficient range, for best power and mileage.
With the change to a new engine and transmission, I would wait a year or two before buying, to allow bugs to be worked out.
It took Ford 6 years to debug the V10 and 4L100 transmission.

Now if Ford raised the E450's GVW one or two thousand pounds, things could get even more interesting .
More CC could be available if Ford light-weighted the cab, with aluminum, and used high-strength steel in the frame,  Engineering and materials have improved quite a bit  during the last thirty years, the E-series last complete redesign was in 1992 . Reducing weight has become a religion in the auto industry.
Ford could widen the cab to match the wide-body rear axle, the increased leg room would be appreciated.
If the overall chassis dimensions remains the same, as the old, this could extend the life of Lazy Daze until the day Steve retires or sells the company.
Stay tuned.

We had dinner tonight will two other LD couples and were wondering if an older coach could lifted and transferred to a new chassis. 
Maybe, the coach bolts onto the frame and bare cutaways are available.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
"Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Departure Warning to help you drive with confidence."

A few weeks ago we brought our first new car in 30 years (we are not car folk).    I love the above features on our new  car.   If that same stuff comes to the RV world it would make driving more joyful and safer no doubt.  
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #11
I'm waiting for the gadget that disables the driver's cell phone when the engine starts!  >:(
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Our ‘17 Outback came with a variety of these new safety features. It was our first experience with these features and while I must admit they were a bit overwhelming at first, I would not buy another vehicle without them. I especially like the adaptive cruise control, and the pre-collision braking and rear cross traffic alert has saved my bacon more than once in the two years we have owned the Subaru!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
More info for Larry and Greg:

By the time this new engine/transmission system makes its way to the E-Series and to market there will already be about one year of actual commercial and consumer use. Though there will not be any long-term history I would expect any major issues would be reported by then. And I would hope that Ford engineering has learned from the early V10 and 4L100 transmission fiascos.

Re the new V8: Per Ford the company's engineers created the new 7.3-liter pushrod V-8 with the primary goal being improved fuel economy. Initially it will be port fuel injected but it was designed for both port and direct injection; many new cars now use both for optimal efficiency. Ford has not released the installed weight of this engine; there is speculation that the final block material has not been pinned down. I would hope that the V8 weighs less than the V10, it certainly is much more compact.

Re the new transmission: The Ford-designed 10R140 TorqShift 10-speed replaces the 6R140 in some 2020 MY Ford Super Duty trucks. It shares the same basic architecture of the 10R80 which was a joint Ford-GM design, so it has the same number and arrangement of clutches and planetary sets. All the 10R140’s drive hardware is beefier than in the 10R80, with the two transmissions sharing only 7% of the components. The 10R80 was released with the 2017 Ford F-150 pickup.

Chatles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #15
Charles, are you wearing your 'cloak of invisibility' in Ford's design and engineering center?  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
So Charles, if you were in the market, are you saying you would feel comfortable buying a 2021 Lazy Daze on the new chassis? Or would you wait a year?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
So Charles, if you were in the market, are you saying you would feel comfortable buying a 2021 Lazy Daze on the new chassis? Or would you wait a year?
Greg, at this point I would not jump on a 2021 LD but that is because there isn't any real-time data and info out there since no one has even had the opportunity to see, let alone test, this new combo. In a year my position could change. But I might put an order in and wait and see, could always pass and wait some more.  ;)

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #18
Charles, are you wearing your 'cloak of invisibility' in Ford's design and engineering center?  ;)
Hahaha. :)  :)  :)  Joan, just sharing real information and some speculation I've come across in my research. Rumors of a Ford "Godzilla" V8 have been been floating around for over a year.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #19
I'm waiting for the mid-sized Ranger to de-bug.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
I'm waiting for the gadget that disables the driver's cell phone when the engine starts!  >:(

<smile> don't know 'bout other car systems  but in the Toyota Highlander when you connect  your cell into the system it will allow a notice of a text message to come thru but will not let you read it unless and until the car is stopped. 

BTW some cell phones have a default setting that do the same thing if it thinks it is going faster than 15 MPH. 

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #22
We are staying at “Paradise By The Sea” RV Resort in Oceanside. From there we took the Jeep down to Del Mar fairgrounds to see the GoodGuys annual car show. Ford Motor Co. had a demonstration and parts trailer set up there. They also had John, the technician and answer man, to answer questions. I asked him if they were providing mpg, horsepower Ann torque numbers yet. He said all the numbers would be relatively similar to the 6.7L diesel. When asked if it would be available in the E450 platform he said yes. He said the numbers would be coming out in the early summer.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #23
Has anyone heard any updates on the 2021 chassis?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24
Lots of good info in the attached PDF.
Chet in Yorktown, Virginia