Skip to main content
Topic: Wave 3 repair (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic
Wave 3 repair
I have an Olympian (Camco) wave 3 catalytic heater that is need of repair. It’s a simple fix or so I thought. There is a leaking pilot light tube that is causing the problem. I called Camco in North Carolina and was told they would fix it for a fee to be determined after they did an inspection on the unit. The problem with that is postage would be @ $70 to send it to N.C. From California. I’m sure the total, including repairs and return shipping would be well over $100. So, I decided to find someone locally to fix it with no luck. Then I tried to find parts to fix it myself but couldn’t any place that sold 3/16” O.D. aluminum tubing and Camco doesn’t sell parts.
     I seem to have three choices remaining: I can pay nearly the price of a new one and send mine to be fixed. I can toss this one and buy new. I can ask my wonderful friends at LDO for help. It seems that I will first opt for door number three. HELP!
Thanks in advance, Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Wave 3 repair
Reply #1
I have an Olympian (Camco) wave 3 catalytic heater that is need of repair. It’s a simple fix or so I thought. There is a leaking pilot light tube that is causing the problem. I called Camco in North Carolina and was told they would fix it for a fee to be determined after they did an inspection on the unit. The problem with that is postage would be @ $70 to send it to N.C. From California. I’m sure the total, including repairs and return shipping would be well over $100. So, I decided to find someone locally to fix it with no luck.

If shipping is really $70, one way, buy a new one.
A large USPS Flat Rate Box cost $17.60 and will fit a Wave 3, so where does the other $52 expense come from?
USPS Flat Rate Boxes & Pricing - EasyPost

If the Wave is old, there are other parts that wear too, the catalytic pad eventually will go bad. One of our Wave's ignitors is failing.
At $185 for a new Wave 3, I wouldn't spend much over $100 to repair it, including replacing the catalytic pad.
Amazon.com: Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3 3000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater:...

If you do repair it, definitely have the Factory do it.
Let us know how it works out.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Use 3/16" copper tubing.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #4
I actually bought a Wave 3 for my Lazy Daze and used it twice.  For me, it just didn't put out enough heat.  I bought a Wave 6 and am completely happy. 

Since it's just sitting all wrapped up in a spare room at home, I'd be MORE than happy to sell it for a reasonable price.

Let me know...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #5
I know it’s been a while since I inquired about repair of my Wave 3 heater but I finally did fix it. I learned a few skills along the way and bought a few tools too. Thanks to Steve I found the 3/16 aluminum tubing I needed, cut it, bent it, flared the ends and installed it. After testing for leaks I ran it next to my propane detector in the coach for six hours. It seems to work perfectly and I have confidence that it will be safe and efficient to use. Problem solved. Total cost @$60.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.