Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing tires (Read 335 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing tires
I know from years of following this fantastic group of participants that regardless of mileage, tires should be replaced every six (6) years.  Wondering from folks smarter than me, does that still hold true if the rig has been stored indoors virtually 100% of the time when not used on vacation and long weekend trips?

TIA!

Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Re: Replacing tires
Reply #1
"...the rig has been stored indoors virtually 100% of the time..."

The sun is not your friend in this case! If, as you say, the RV has been protected from sunlight you may be able to stretch the time-out for another two to three years. If the tires are a good quality to begin with and you have also used tire covers while camping it should be okay. I would highly recommend that you keep a close eye out for sidewall checking... that is a sure indicator of old age.   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Steve - that's exactly what I meant...it has been out of the sun....sorry if I was unclear.....I'm probably going to replace anyways since I'm still working but headed quickly to retirement so thinking I'll pull the trigger while still employed..thanks for responding
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #3
If the covered Storage let sunlight in daily , I would go with the six year rule.  My pneumatic model airplane tires rotted after 6 years of sun exposure in the garage.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #4
If the covered Storage let sunlight in daily , I would go with the six year rule.  My pneumatic model airplane tires rotted after 6 years of sun exposure in the garage.

Tires can rot sitting in a warehouse, you may eliminate sunlight damage but oxygen and ozone will continue to do their work on oxidizing the rubber compounds.
The six year rule is one I stick too, no matter how the rig is stored. Michelin warranties end at six years, I suspect they know more than us.
If the LD was stored in a dark, sealed chamber, filled with 100% nitrogen, the tires could last for many years.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
"If the LD was stored in a dark, sealed chamber, filled with 100% nitrogen, the tires could last for many years."
----
Hmmmm, wonder if that would work for me!?  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
"If the LD was stored in a dark, sealed chamber, filled with 100% nitrogen, the tires could last for many years."
----
Hmmmm, wonder if that would work for me!?  ;)

Probably not, humans like to oxidize to stay happy...and alive.

Happily oxidizing .
Larry
Larry

Reply #7
If the LD was stored in a dark, sealed chamber, filled with 100% nitrogen, the tires could last for many years.
Larry

I'm guessing it would be hard to drive but with some mods I'm sure it's doable. 

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #8
I'm guessing it would be hard to drive but with some mods I'm sure it's doable. 

The critical word is 'stored'.

Thinking about it, an oxygen mask, and supply, would be handy for driving thought the summer time wildfire smoke that has become the new normal in the PNW.

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
I think I got it --- my new LD
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #10
Another diesel pusher with bad gas mileage. At least the roof shouldn't leak, and no wood rot! No tires to rot away either! I bet no one would try to hit you on the freeway, or cut you off. Not sure about the kitchen or bathroom though. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB