Skip to main content
Topic: Removing AC Roof Shroud on ‘06 TK (Read 142 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing AC Roof Shroud on ‘06 TK
I need to remove the roof shroud that covers the AC unit. Went to the storage yard today and climbed up to see what was involved. All I can see are four round bolt heads that have very tiny square indents/holes in the center of each. These holes are far too small for a regular screwdriver, blade or Phillips. I have a set of screwdrivers with a variety of less-common tips on them, and one of those might fit, but I didn’t have them with me at the time. The holes are so small, it’s hard to imagine getting enough purchase to actually turn the bolt. Before I strip something, has anyone removed that shroud and, if so, am I approaching this correctly?  I did remove the ceiling cover from the interior of the coach, but didn’t see any bolts for the roof shroud. Thanks, Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Re: Removing AC Roof Shroud on ‘06 TK
Reply #1

Jon, I think the screws with square holes in their heads are called 'Robertson screws'; here's a screwdriver with the appropriate tip (HD or any hardware store should have the tool):

Southwire Tools & Equipment SDQ2P4#2 Square Recessed Tip Screwdriver with...

I have replaced the shroud on my 2003, and the attachment screws are Phillips heads.

I'm pretty sure that you will get more replies to your question! Good luck removing the shroud; I hope it's not brittle enough to shatter and 'dust' when removed!  :o

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Jon, I think the screws with square holes in their heads are called 'Robertson screws'; here's a screwdriver with the appropriate tip (HD or any hardware store should have the tool):

Southwire Tools & Equipment SDQ2P4#2 Square Recessed Tip Screwdriver with...

I have replaced the shroud on my 2003, and the attachment screws are Phillips heads.

I'm pretty sure that you will get more replies to your question! Good luck removing the shroud; I hope it's not brittle enough to shatter and 'dust' when removed!  :o

I have often cursed Mr. Robinson because I don't have a set of his drivers. Just what the heck is wrong with using a regular old screw?

Chris
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
The shroud may disintegrate from sun exposure when you give it any stress. Mine did on my 2006 but I live in Arizona. If you are replacing the A/C, no problem, if you are not, be prepared to buy a new shroud.
Harry 2006RB