Skip to main content
Topic: carrier rack on 26.5 (Read 216 times) previous topic - next topic
carrier rack on 26.5
I have looked through technical but can't figure out an answer. I have a 2005 RK, I weighed in at Boot Camp and am well balanced and underweight(my rig:). I want to figure out some type of battery powered transportation for next season. My first choice would be a carrier attached to my hitch for a "scooter/chair/bike" of some kind. I would like a golf cart but I think that would be too heavy and too difficult to get on/off the rack. So, what is a safe weight limit? I assume I need to consider the weight of the carrier? What type of battery transport goes on gravel roads and inclines? Ideas? Thanks, sharon
2005 RK

Re: carrier rack on 26.5
Reply #1
Hi Sharon,
In our little RVing group, several of us have purchased electric bicycles. They're not too heavy to lift on and off a rear rack and they work nicely for pavement and dirt as long as you get a model made for both when you go shopping. We like to ride dirt roads, quiet RV park paved roads and even some trails when it's allowed (some camping area have established mt. bike trail networks but not all are open to e-bikes so you want to check first).

One of the unexpected uses has been to buzz far enough away to find a cellphone signal when our campground has no signal. On a regular bike, it can be a workout and take a long time if that signal is 10 miles away. But on an e-bike as long as you pedal easily, you won't even break a sweat. Sometimes, if everybody's feeling lazy, only one of us will take everybody's cellphone in their pocket or pack and ride out and back to load the email on everyone's phones.. I know, it's crazy we need our email/texts, but what can I say?

Many of the new e-bikes are "pedal-assist" so they give you a nice boost but you get some exercise, too. They go up to 20mph for mountain bike style e-bikes and up to 28mph for hybrid (road/dirt) e-bikes. We really like ours. Some of us have Treks, Specialized and Cannondale brand e-bikes. The photo shows ours when we just got it - a Specialized Levo mountain bike.

Hope this gives you some ideas,
Jim & Deb
Santa Cruz, CA

Reply #2
If you're comfortable with a bike, an e-bike might be a good solution. 

I've been eyeing the most recent generations of electric scooters, but they aren't made for gravel and often have real ranges that fall well below what is advertised. 

An e-bike would be lightweight, easy to rack, and it would have a backup (pedals) for when you can't get a charge or run out of range.  There are lots of reviews on ElectricBikeReview.com - Prices, Specs, Videos, Photos

In my area, they occasionally show up on Craigslist in exceptional condition (2 rides, then 4 years in the corner of the garage).

You can get everything from an electrified beach cruiser (top of the page - not for gravel roads) to real hard-core mountain bikes (bottom of the page):
Hot New eBikes! Save Up to 63% Off Electric Bicycles +FREE SHIP 48

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #3
I've considered a 'RAD' bike:

Rad Power Bikes | Electric Fat Bikes and Electric Cargo Bikes

They're very well made, but for my purposes, an appropriate carrying rack would include some sort of very sturdy 'load and unload ramp'; I can't dead lift 60 pounds 2'-3' in the air any more!  :(
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Getting back to the first part of the question asked, our receivers are rated at 300 to 400 pounds, depending on the year of your RV.  A track carrier to handle an eBike would come in around 80 pounds, to which you would have to add the bike weight, but that would probably be fine.  Any kind of an electric lift is likely to be heavier.

A while back, I had a really rugged HPC electric trail bike.  It weighed 120 lbs.  My friend has a Luna eBike.  It weighs 80 lbs.  Mine would handle trails and hills better than his, but his was better on paved or gravel roads.  I had a track carrier with a ramp.  I could easily roll the bike up the ramp for loading.  He had a bike rack/track with no ramp, and had to lift his bike onto the ramp, then lock it in using the rack frame.

The world of ebikes is expanding rapidly, as are the regulations applying to them.  Before you commit much $$ to the idea, talk to your State DMV people to find out what is legal and what is not.  My buddy (Minnesota) needs nothing.  I (Oregon) needed a Moped license plate and insurance.  Had my bike been able to exceed 30 MPH I would have needed a motorcycle endorsement for my driver's license.

Note that there are many places you will not be able to ride.  All forms of wheeled transportation are prohibited on trails in Wilderness areas.  In National Parks, you will be limited to paved surfaces.  In Oregon, vehicles used on public lands must meet the requirements for being street legal.  If you have enough speed, that would mean lights, turn signals, etc., for an ebike, and below 30 mph, a moped license plate and insurance, else you cannot legally ride in state or national forests or parks. 

My bike was licensed and registered.  Once I was in New Mexico for the winter, I asked the head ranger at my campground about requirements to ride on BLM lands in the area.  His only question was, "Do you have DMV tags on it?"  I confirmed that I did, and he responded, "Have fun."  So, check regulations before you make a purchase.

I think the idea of a golf cart is not likely to be workable.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #5
All good points to consider before buying, Ken; thanks!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
For a number of years I had an eGo electric bike. I'm not sure if they are still available. Lazy Bones 2 now has mine. I carried it a few times on my 30'IB but it got to the point where I had to power it up the carrier ramp and eventually I couldn't manage it at all. I seriously doubt if I will ever carry any such item on the LD again.

eGo Cycle Rechargeable Electric Bike Scooter | eBay

However there are numerous accessible hiking/biking trails here in the East Bay Area (Contra Costa County) where I live and they are ideal for what I'm contemplating now.   ;)

https://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Raptor-Recreational-Scooter/spec.cfm?productID=115033&adv=googlepla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=googlepla&default=1&utm_term=&utm_campaign=610148043&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7-uUDVEzY-u_H7vg6u1yTuLZtGdM0it1Tz2cXZHs5o9J8xJLHQ4fABoCn14QAvD_BwE
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!