Skip to main content
Topic: Transmission cooler add on (Read 266 times) previous topic - next topic
Transmission cooler add on
Hi all,

We are looking for any information on adding an additional transmission cooler to our 2001 MB.  DH is a great mechanic and is willing and able to do the work. We are looking for any insight or input on this project. We home base in what most people call "flat land" we don't have a lot of experience in mountain terrain.  We are concerned about overheating an older transmission when down shifting on steeper inclines.

Thanks for any info. I did search through the forum but what I found was a lot of talk about replacing or a failing transmission.

tlbh2o
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Re: Transmission cooler add on
Reply #1
Type in Transmission cooler in the yahoo archives.    Tons of threads.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #2
My 2008 rear bath came with transmission cooler no problems with over heating

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
2008 RB

Reply #3
"We are looking for any insight or input on this project...  we don't have a lot of experience in mountain terrain."

h2o

My 30'IB is only 3 years newer than your rig. I live on the left coast and love mountain driving. I have towed a Honda Civic and now tow a Honda CRV. Not once in the past 15 years have I ever had a case of overheating and that's over certain passes where you meet yourself coming back on some of the turns. If you downshift and let the engine do the braking you'll better off. Riding the brakes is sure to get you in trouble!

That said, I also monitor my transmission temperature with an OBD2 connected Ultra Gauge. No indication of any problems.   ;)   8)     UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Type in Transmission cooler in the yahoo archives.    Tons of threads.
Thanks,  I didn't check the archive, you are right lots more info there.
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #5
Far as I know, your rig probably has an external cooler already. An option if you are concerned would be to install a larger one instead, same location.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Thanks Steve,
I found the thread in the yahoo archive, there was a link for a larger one with pictures.  It looks like ours has already been upgraded to the larger version.  DH is planning on some preventative maintenance before we hit the road for longer excursions.  He is planning on a new radiator, thermostat, cap, all hoses, water pump, serpentine belt, clutch fan. He has already redone all the brakes, we replaced the tires last year, and all new batteries a few weeks ago.  We resealed the roof, he checks all caulking joints regularly.  When we bought our Sand Castle it had a boo-boo, someone had crunched the generator door, we replaced that and have since repainted the entire lowest color band. We are going to add Max Air vent covers, and replace the stern Fantastic fan. 
Lots to get done before the last week of April. Oh yes he is also rebuilding a 1962 18' Chris Craft Holiday wooden boat.

Reply #7
Before you go to the effort of adding rain covers or replacing a Fantastic Fan perhaps you may want to consider the MaxxFan line. All 5 of my vents (30'IB) have the MaxxFans. It's my opinion that they are superior to the Fantastics, just as reliable, quieter and do not require additional rain covers as they are an integral unit. Never have I had an issue with rain entering, even while underway and the lids can be locked at any position, closed to full open.

They are reversible and come as manual or remote operation. When in camp the vents can be adjusted to pull air in from one end of the rig and exhaust it out the opposite end providing complete circulation, for your comfort or that of your pets.  ;)

Google Express
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!