Skip to main content
Topic: New ford engine (Read 962 times) previous topic - next topic
New ford engine
   There is a new 7.3 Ford V-8 power plant. Estimates are for better gas mileage and more horse power and more torque than the V-10. It will be smaller than the 6.3 diesel and the V-10 in size. It will likely be paired with the 10 speed tranny. I’m curious as to whether or not it will replace the V-10 in the class C motor home market?
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: New ford engine
Reply #1
Dale-

My understanding is that the new engine has been designed to replace the V-10 in all applications, including the E-series chassis. To date, the E-series chassis has been restricted to using the two-valve version of the V-10, as the three-valve version is said to be too wide to fit under the hood.

Here is a link to a thread on another forum:

Ford Announces New Large V-8 and Ten-speed Transmission

Note: The thread gets pretty "geeky" in spots.

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #2
Between you and me I'll be dead or almost dead before they work out all the teething pain with this new engine.    But I'll glad they are moving forward.   The 20 plus year old v-10 can use some upgrading thats for sure.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
There is a lot of speculation out there about this new powertrain and the E450. One thing that keeps popping is the 10-speed transmission, 10 gears may not be necessary or even fit in the E450. Some state the top 3 gears are only for fuel efficiency in lightly loaded situations which do not exist in a fully loaded E450 MH. Time will tell.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #4
I'm surprised they went back to a pushrod engine, it should be narrower than the 2V V10 and there is a good chance it would fit the engine bay of an E450. The V10 is physically a huge engine, made wider by the overhead cam heads. Engine bay width is the main restriction in the E450, any replacement engine needs to fit the somewhat narrow bay.
The unanswered question is if and when will the 7.3L engine become standard ?
It may depends on costs of the new engine and transmission and how much re-engineering the chassis would require to fit the new engine and to deal with the increased power and torque. The whole driveline is designed as a package, change one thing and everything else needs to match.

Ford has given us no useful information as to the future of the E450. It is such an old chassis, that sells out every year, Ford may not do anything other than sitting back and collecting the E450's continuing profits.
While the V10 has been updated through the years, and it's weak points eliminated, it still may not be able to meet upcoming emissions standards, assuming the EPA doesn't relax them.
So many question, so little actual information.

So, it's back to speculation time...again.
Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Ford has given us no useful information as to the future of the E450. It is such an old chassis, that sells out every year, Ford may not do anything other than sitting back and collecting the E450's continuing profits.
While the V10 has been updated through the years, and it's weak points eliminated, it still may not be able to meet upcoming emissions standards, assuming the EPA doesn't relax them.
So many question, so little actual information.

So, it's back to speculation time...again.
Larry
Larry, you are so right. Not one official statement from Ford about the future of the E450 platform but loads of info about the V8 and the new Transit drive trains.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #7
I'm surprised they went back to a pushrod engine...
Larry
Fuel economy. The V8 has 20+ % lower friction and part count than the V10. The V8 was also designed for both GPFI and GDFI, but will only be GPFI upon release.

Charles

Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #8
Update to old post.

Ford has just released the Official 2020 Ford 7.3L V8 Power Numbers and transmission pairing information. The specs are class-leading in the heavy-duty truck segment, but the output of 435 hp / 475 lbs-ft torque is less than many originally expected. It appears there is also a lower power tune for E-series and commercial vehicles at 350 hp / 468 lbs-ft. The current V-10 is rated at 305 hp / 420 lbs-ft torque. The V-8 at the lower tune has the hp peak at 3,900 rpm compared to V-10 at 4,250 rpm with the torque peak also at 3,900 rpm while the V-10 is at 3,250 rpm.

Ford has also confirmed that the only transmission offered for the MY 2020 E-350/E-450 Cutaway chassis will be the TorqShift Heavy Duty 6-speed.

So there it is. Interesting.

Charles

Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #9
Update to old post.

Ford has just released the Official 2020 Ford 7.3L V8 Power Numbers and transmission pairing information. The specs are class-leading in the heavy-duty truck segment, but the output of 435 hp / 475 lbs-ft torque is less than many originally expected. It appears there is also a lower power tune for E-series and commercial vehicles at 350 hp / 468 lbs-ft. The current V-10 is rated at 305 hp / 420 lbs-ft torque. The V-8 at the lower tune has the hp peak at 3,900 rpm compared to V-10 at 4,250 rpm with the torque peak also at 3,900 rpm while the V-10 is at 3,250 rpm.

Ford has also confirmed that the only transmission offered for the MY 2020 E-350/E-450 Cutaway chassis will be the TorqShift Heavy Duty 6-speed.

So there it is. Interesting.

Charles

Thanks, Charles, good to know!  Any thoughts/ guesses on what the resultant improvement in gas mileage for a LD might be?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
Thanks, Charles, good to know!  Any thoughts/ guesses on what the resultant improvement in gas mileage for a LD might be?
Hi Greg. Lot's of speculation out there. Most are in the 15% range based upon Ford's claim of 20% less internal friction than the V-10 due to 2 less cylinders and all the OHC components. Also, some claim the V-8 will run more efficiently fuel-wise than the V-10. But one thing is evident from the power curves is that torque remains pretty flat from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm on the non-commercial engine; I would bet the torque curve for the E-Series engine (which Ford has not released) will be even flatter which I suspect could also result in measurable fuel savings.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #11
Hi Greg. Lot's of speculation out there. Most are in the 15% range based upon Ford's claim of 20% less internal friction than the V-10 due to 2 less cylinders and all the OHC components. Also, some claim the V-8 will run more efficiently fuel-wise than the V-10. But one thing is evident from the power curves is that torque remains pretty flat from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm on the non-commercial engine; I would bet the torque curve for the E-Series engine (which Ford has not released) will be even flatter which I suspect could also result in measurable fuel savings.

So let's go with the 15% improvement for conversation sake. If those with newer LD's are averaging 10 mpg (this is just a guess) one could expect to average 11.5 mpg with the new combo. Am I on the right track?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
So let's go with the 15% improvement for conversation sake. If those with newer LD's are averaging 10 mpg (this is just a guess) one could expect to average 11.5 mpg with the new combo. Am I on the right track?
Yes, but I seriously doubt many newer LD's are averaging 10 mpg. I bought a LD in spite of the milage. But of course YMMV.  :)

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #13
Sounds like there will be some things worth waiting for on the new chassis (power, safety features) but gas mileage may not be one of them.  ;)
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Sounds like there will be some things worth waiting for on the new chassis (power, safety features) but gas mileage may not be one of them.  ;)
Agreed. Fuel economy is just one of many trade-offs but of little importance to me now. Not like when I commuted before I retired.  :)

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #15
Disappointing that it will not be paired with the ten speed tranny.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #17
Disappointing that it will not be paired with the ten speed tranny.
Dale. This update only applies to MY 2020. Ford won't say if or when the E-Series might get the new 10-speed transmission. Don't give up hope.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #19
Another update.

According to Ford's official update the MY 2020 E-Series Cutaway and Stripped Chassis is going to be offered with either the 435 hp / 475 lbs-ft V-8 OR the "optional" lower power tune 350 hp / 468 lbs-ft V-8 for "commercial vehicles". Both are 7.3L. However, due to the GVWR of the chassis that LD orders it appears that only the “optional" lower power tune engine will make it to LD. Still an improvement.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #20
It states that it mates with a 6 speed, double overdrive tranny. Does that mean 8 total speeds?

Reply #21
It states that it mates with a 6 speed, double overdrive tranny. Does that mean 8 total speeds?
Nope. The top two gears are overdrive on the 6-speed as they have been for as long as I know.

Charles
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #22
Pickup trucks with 32 square feet of front sail and 7000# to 22,000# GCW range will likely use all 10 gears.
Our Cutaways  with 64 square feet of front sail and 11,000# to 18,000# GCW range are less likely to get the benefit of those extra 4 gears.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #23
Agreed. Fuel economy is just one of many trade-offs but of little importance to me now. Not like when I commuted before I retired.  :)

Charles

It may make a huge difference at first if and when they start making less gas engines, then gas prices will go way up .BUT when that happens, which it will ( less gas engines) technology will be so advanced it won't matter because by then we can Travel across country with no worries about Gas millage,   :)

Reply #24
Scotty Kilmer says, “ stay away from the 6 speed transmission, they’ve had nothing but problems with them”.  Does anybody have a 6 speed now.? I’m wondering what your thoughts are.