Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator Troubleshooting (Read 346 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator Troubleshooting
Leaving in a couple days for get out of snow covered Dodge trip to the desert and went to town to load some stuff and turn on refer a few days ago. Took quite a few attempts to light which i attributed to sitting all winter and air in lines. Went in yesterday and flame was out. Turned on electric to make sure refer itself was working and we did some shopping. Got back a couple hours later to discover refer wasn't working on electricity either (pipes in back all cold). Blew burner out with can of  compressed air purchased in town and tried to light. Click click goes solenoid by fuse box but no spark at burner. Had wife push button on refer while I held a match at burner. No propane came out. After multiple attempts  it finally lit ( by itself with no match help) but i have little faith it will still be going when I return. Heres a big clue I think as to whats wrong for someone who is more knowledgeable than I am. On gas and electric the check light doesn't come on when the refer isn't working. I think that tells me something but I'm not sure what. I'm open to suggestions.

As an interesting side note we have friends in Phoenix that will be here tomorrow and are beyond excited to stay at our remote and snowed in off grid  mountain home while we are gone. Funny how they can't wait to get to where we live and we can't wait to get where they live.  Hope they are still our friends when we return in a couple months and it doesn't turn into The Shining around here. I hid my axe! ;D
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Re: Refer puzzle
Reply #1
Could be either one of the control boards. Looks like your trip will be delayed.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Check your coach battery voltage with a load. Even on AC mode, all fridge controls, igniter, etc, run on 12V.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Good thought on voltage, I'll look into it.  Control board was what I was thinking  too. Trip won't be delayed though, we are outta here! Just have to get by with ice until I can get this fixed somewhere sunny and warm. First big city will be Vegas and I'm already looking at RV repair shops there. Anybody knows a good one I'm all ears or eyes in this case.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #4
Went in yesterday with final load for trip and was shocked to find refer still working on propane. Actually burned my hand from grabbing burner tube because i was so convinced it would be cold. Freezer is frosty,refer is cold and propane flame is burning brightly. Temperature has moderated a bit and I'm wondering if my initial issues were weather related and the near zero temperatures somehow affected refer functioning properly. Crossing my fingers it's still working today when we get there to head out on our trip to the desert. This is very encouraging though and maybe just maybe we dodged a bullet here. Arizona here we come! :D
Enjoyed my time here but I don't watch TV or go online while vacationing. You'll miss me when I'm gone. LOL Have a good  spring folks.

Reply #5
Went in yesterday with final load for trip and was shocked to find refer still working on propane. Actually burned my hand from grabbing burner tube because i was so convinced it would be cold. Freezer is frosty,refer is cold and propane flame is burning brightly. Temperature has moderated a bit and I'm wondering if my initial issues were weather related and the near zero temperatures somehow affected refer functioning properly. Crossing my fingers it's still working today when we get there to head out on our trip to the desert. This is very encouraging though and maybe just maybe we dodged a bullet here. Arizona here we come! :D
Enjoyed my time here but I don't watch TV or go online while vacationing. You'll miss me when I'm gone. LOL Have a good  spring folks.

Sawyer, check the burner tube slowly with the back of your hand, lol!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Mike,

Back in the not too distant past at a place that will remain nameless when a piece of equipment worked sporadically, I checked the fuses.

Occassionally the glass mini fuse on a control board was either on its way out or the prongs on the fuse block had spread out causing a poor connection. Replacing the fuse (even if it tested good) or closing the prongs a bit often rectified the situation.

After attempting to install a circulation fan in our LD fridge, I have blown the small 3amp fuse and unless it’s the correct replacement fuse diameter there can be a poor connection causing the fridge to refuse to fire up.

Just a thought.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
I was preparing for a weekend trip for the first time in a few months and I had flame failure  on a wet and raining day.
I plugged in ran on 120 VAC for a few hours.  Then switched to propane and with success!  Apparently dirt and moisture shorted with the spark igniter.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Re: Refrigerator Troubleshooting
Reply #8
Could this issue be weather related?  Is the inside of the Lazy Daze currently heated?  I am also up in North Central Washington and it's been cold.  Temperature hasn't really been above freezing during the day.  The thermostat(wires attached to the fin) that signals the fridge to cool is in the refrigerator section.  If it is already cold(say 38-42, depending on where it is set) inside the motor home then the fridge isn't going to since a demand to cool.  With no demand to cool it's not going to run(cycle) or run very long.  Your freezer temp is not going to drop unless the inside of the fridge section is warmer then where it is set at.  That does not explain why it was not lighting but could be why it wasn't continuing to run(cycle) with the trouble light not coming on.

JohnF

2003 T/K and 1987 MP w/Roof Sleeper(for sale this Spring)
2003 TK

Reply #9
If it is already cold(say 38-42, depending on where it is set) inside the motor home then the fridge isn't going to since a demand to cool.  With no demand to cool it's not going to run(cycle) or run very long.  Your freezer temp is not going to drop unless the inside of the fridge section is warmer then where it is set at. 

It seem like a contradiction but ice cream does not stay as hard in the winter as it does in the summer because the refrigerator temperature that calls for the cooling , not the freezer.
In the winter, switch to cookies.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Just an FYI update. Refer has been performing great and all I can think is it was so cold for so long that some sensor told it not to light because everything was already frozen. Thanks for suggestions.