Skip to main content
Topic: How to Remove Silicone Caulk/How to Reseal End Caps & Windows (Read 1529 times) previous topic - next topic
How to Remove Silicone Caulk/How to Reseal End Caps & Windows
I am the second owner of a 2003 30'IB.  The end caps need resealing.  The prior owner had used silicone caulk on the rear end caps of the unit.  From a posting by Larry W a few months ago, it appears that I have a problem.  Is there no way to clean off the silicone in prep for the application of the 3M product that is recommended?  I am not really interested in taking off the end caps and live in Wisconsin so a trip to the factory isn't practical.  I suppose I could just eterna bond the end cap seams, but my wife would not like that option for aesthetic reasons.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  PS  I am sitting in Kerrville TX right now, so weather wise I can work on it.
2003 30' IB

Re: Removal of silicone caulk-end caps
Reply #1
You might try this 'mystery silicone caulk' remover from McMaster Carr; I have no idea if it works, but you might call them and describe the surface - the end caps are ABS plastic, as far as I know - and ask for their suggestions.

McMaster-Carr

All traces of silicone have to be removed or the 5200 (or other 'appropriate' sealant) won't stick.

Others are pretty sure to offer suggestions!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Bob, if there is ANY residual film from the silicone caulk, nothing is likely to stick.  Eternabond might look ok on the outside but underneath, where a bond should be, there may be a thin space.  Capillary action could draw water into that space.

So, how to get it off?  Well, the non-volatiles in silicone caulk can penetrate any kind of porous surface.  I think you might have to scrape off what you can, then use a strong solvent to wipe, then fine sandpaper to cut at least part way through the paint, if not all the way, then another solvent wipe.  That MIGHT get enough off so you can start again, but no guarantees.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #3
If nothing will remove the silicone adequately, would using silicone again be an option?  Does new silicone adhere to old silicone?
2003 30' IB

Reply #4
"Does new silicone adhere to old silicone?"

Unfortunately, no. The stuff is a curse.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5

The previous owner did you a disservice using silicone. The stuff only belongs on machined metal parts that are designed to come apart. You will need to totally strip the silicone contaminated surfaces to bare metal and plastic.
Are the caps intact or loose?

Here is what I would do. Using a sharp utility knife, undercut the sealant on the caps as far inward as possible. Cut away as much silicone as possible. Then use plastic razor blades to remove the rest of the surface silicone. The plastic blades will not damage the paint.
Amazon.com: 100 Single Edge Plastic Razor Blades: Cell Phones & Accessories

After this, use masking tape off the surrounding areas along the edge of the caps and wall, leaving a 1/8" gap. Apply two or three layers of tape for better protection of the paint.
Window and seam sealing | Flickr

Wedge open the loose caps to allow cleaning even deeper under the caps.
Plan on screwing the loose caps into position using  #8 X 1" stainless steel sheet metal screws. Drill pilot holes using a very small drill bit and then open up the holes through the plastic caps, drilling them one drill size larger than the screw diameter, to help prevent cracking of the cap.
Where ever a cap will not lay flat and tight, use a screw, it's what the Mothership does when installing caps .

Use emery cloth to sand a narrow strip along the edge of the cap all the way to shiny metal, getting under the cap as far as possible. I also use dental tools, broken hack saw blades and even a Dremmel tool, with cutting disc and sanding drums, whatever it takes to clean out the loose adhesive tape and to open the metal up.

After the cleaning is done, wash the surfaces to be glued with a paint prep solvent.
Eastwood PRE Painting Prep
I would be temped to use an etching solution, such as phosphoric acid on the bare aluminum, before glueing, to remove any aluminum oxide that has built up.

When the prep is done,  use 3M 5200 Fast Cure to seal and glue the caps back into place.
Wear old clothes and buy a box of disposable gloves, I wear two or three pairs or gloves at a time, throwing them away as they get soiled, polyurethane is sticky stuff that is hard to get off hands and clothing.
5 mil Nitrile Powder-Free Gloves 100 Pc X-Large
Wedge open the loose sections of cap, so the adhesive can be pushed up under the cap, I use ice cream sticks for this.

Applying a good bead of the 5200 to the gap and a use a gloved, wet finger to force the sealant up under the caps.
Install the screws and then smooth the bead. Do not over tighten the screws, use them to pull the cap into place so it sits flat. A wet finger is the best tool for sculpting the adhesive, the moisture will not adversely effect it.
As soon as a satisfactory bead is achieved, remove the masking tape, before the 5200 skims over.
Resist the urge to work the sealant once the tape has been removed, any cleanup should wait for a half hour or so.
Use a rag and lacquer thinner for cleanup.

This is going to be an involved job, do one cap at a time.
Have fun
Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: How to Remove Silicon Caulk/How to Reseal End Caps & Windows
Reply #6
Since the topic of caulk removal and resealing end caps and windows comes up frequently, I have pinned this thread, which includes Larry's precise resealing instructions - with links to photos. 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: How to Remove Silicone Caulk/How to Reseal End Caps & Windows
Reply #7
Thanks for all the good info.  I probably won't start this until I get home in the spring.
2003 30' IB

Reply #8
I saw this at Home Depot today. It says it removes silicone as well as caulk but it will eat through paint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-24-oz-Caulk-Remover-336250/305457505

I have some silicone on the glass windows, where a previous owner sealed the glazing bead / gasket to the window.  So after removing the glazing bead and scraping the silicon off with a razor blade I will test using some of this.
I’ll ler you all know how it works.

Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #9
Thanks! I did find some old dental tools that I thought I might use on the dogs to scrape their teeth, that might work here.
2003 30' IB

Reply #10
Thanks! I did find some old dental tools that I thought I might use on the dogs to scrape their teeth, that might work here.

Dental tools are useful for digging out the failed double-sided tape, used by the Factory to secure the caps to the body.
Other useful tools are a utility knife, popsicle sticks, used to wedge loose caps open for cleaning, and 1" putty knife.
The putty knife is very thin and sharp, with rounded corners to prevent gouging the sheet metal.
Plastic razor blades, used with a holder, can be useful too.

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Well good news and not so good news.

I tested out this product today to see how it removes silicon.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-24-oz-Caulk-Remover-336250/305457505

I used it on a window that had silicon just inside the glazing bead (gasket).

Following instructions I removed as much of the silicon as I could - using a razor blade scraper.   I was dissapoInted in how much still remained on the windows - I had expected the razor blade to remove most of the silicon, but a lot of the final 1/16th of an inch off became difficult to remove. 

I scored the silicon on the window some and sprayed the product on just covering it and let it soak.  The product is a gel rather than a liquid but it did run down the window so I made sure to catch it before it hit the window trim.  The product label says it softens the silicon to make it easier to take it off.
I then used the scrape her again to take off as much as I could.  Some more came off but not lots more,

I did another pass and worked more at scoring the silicon and really soaked the area, again letting it sit about 20 minutes.  This pass worked better.  It still took a lot of scraping with the razor blade but it was all coming up.  When I thought it was good I washed the area.  I got some more bits up with the razor and a little bit of smear in one spot came up with a paper towel.  Glass was pristine - in the few inch area I was working on though I likely would do one more final pass to be sure.

I am confident I can get 100% of the silicon up, but it will be a massively labor intensive task.

Note - I didn’t see any paint taken off the window frame but I tried to prevent any product from getting to the frame and wiped up right away any that did.

If anyone tries any other products I would love to hear how they work.
Jane & Scott

We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #12
Some stupid thoughts and questions...What is under the end caps?  I assume wood frame members meet there...I would hope that LD would treat those wood members thoroughly for "life time" protection.  The plastic end caps are for looks as a rounded corner looks much nicer than a right angle corner...If my imagination is true then add weep holes top and bottom and allow the water to pass through...Too simple to consider?  LD does apply weep holes at the windows.
I bring this all up because a buyer has backed out of purchasing my 2007 rig as he became overly worried about the wood framing and wood rot.  Maybe he read these end cap messages?  Fixing the end caps seems to be a real undertaking.  If the area inside was treated well originally then the end caps could be considered an aesthetic appendage or whatever.  Do I make any sense?
Mike Lewis   
2007 RK

Reply #13
Some stupid thoughts and questions...What is under the end caps?  I assume wood frame members meet there...I would hope that LD would treat those wood members thoroughly for "life time" protection. 

Behind the caps is a channel, formed by the wood framing. In older LDs, the wood is coated with asphalt emulsion.
Newer models have the wood coated with polyurethane, no idea when the switch occurred. Either coating can break loose over time, with the polyurethane lasting much longer .
AFAIK, there are no visible drains or weep holes at the bottom of the channels.
It's best to keep the caps well fastened and sealed, as well as the window frames.

Larry

Larry

Reply #14
Thanks Larry.  You write below that the channel is formed by the wood framing.  I take it that this channel is between the wood framing and the end cap.  Correct?  I have never been a mechanic like you or Andy and reading the emails on this topic is troublesome.  Ok, the original protective covering applied by LD breaks down.  Could not the end caps be made removeable?  Lightly caulk them and apply bolts or a wing nut or two.  Add the weep holes top and bottom.  Then periodically the caps could be removed, the wood frame thoroughly treated with some magic potion or perhaps Eternabond tape, and the caps replaced again with a light caulk coating.  That process sounds like something I could do every 2-3 years.  If you could design such a system maybe LD would listen and I will be your first customer...
Mike
2007 RK

Reply #15
Mike if you eternabonded them, it would last forever, no need to redo every few years.
Jane & Scott

Reply #16
I take it that this channel is between the wood framing and the end cap.  Correct?  I have never been a mechanic like you or Andy and reading the emails on this topic is troublesome.  Could not the end caps be made removeable? 
Lightly caulk them and apply bolts or a wing nut or two.  Add the weep holes top and bottom.If you could design such a system maybe LD would listen and I will be your first customer...

LD listen to me? Oh you must be kidding. Steve has his own ways of doing things and that's that.
Removable end caps?, humm, I don't know how well that would work and to change an existing LD into one with removable caps would be a heck of a project.
Just removing the old caps could be a multi-day job. When they stick correctly, they do not come off easily, even using a oscillating tool. Once the old caps are off and the new installed, the rig will need a lot painting.

Keeping the existing caps intact is the best approach, do not wait when they begin to lift, they can be reattached with the methods I have been posting about for years with success.
It's a lot cheaper to maintain the caps than to have the Mothership replace and repaint them.

I do wonder why the drain channels do not appear to have openings at the bottoms, unless they are hidden somehow.
Something to ask about next time I'm in Montclair.

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
The previous owner did you a disservice using silicone. The stuff only belongs on machined metal parts that are designed to come apart. You will need to totally strip the silicone contaminated surfaces to bare metal and plastic.
Are the caps intact or loose?

Is this silicone caulk and how can one tell?

Reply #18
Howard, silicone (100% silicon) stays flexible forever - like soft rubber.  Typically they are clear but I won't swear there are not white ones out there.  Adhesives recommended (both in the LD companion and if you search for sealing windows/roof/endcaps in the forums) are not clear and don't have any silicone in them.
Big difference, if you scrape off all the adhesive and can feel a residue (rather than clean paint/metal feeling), it might be silicone.
Jane
Jane & Scott

Reply #19
"Typically they are clear but I won't swear there are not white ones out there."

Yup. I've seen silicone sealant in clear, white, black, and silver, and there are probably other colors as well. It's nasty stuff, because it isn't a good adhesive, it doesn't hold up well over time, and it is almost impossible to completely remove. And if you don't remove it completely, down to the bare metal, nothing will ever stick to that surface again... including silicone sealant! That's why Larry said what he did.
Andy Baird

Reply #20
OK, I think that replies via Yahoo don't always get here.

Andy, I realized shortly after writing this that the silicon caulk labeled Tub Tile is white - been decades since I used this.

I primarily have use silicon between the sink drain (metal) and the sink. 
Since it stays flexible forever, it is great there (instead of plumbers putty which can dry out some over the years) and it grows and shrinks as the parts contract/shrink from temperature changes.
Jane
Jane & Scott

Reply #21
"[silicone caulk] is great there (instead of plumbers putty which can dry out some over the years)"

I use marine-grade butyl tape (not the crap sold in most stores) for this kind of thing. It never dries out or cracks, remains flexible, and comes off cleanly if you need to remove it. And it doesn't contaminate surfaces the way silicones do.
Andy Baird

Reply #22
Andy, So where do you use butyl tape in your RV mods/repairs?

I had seen on the forum where people who pulled their windows used it (between the window frame and the framing).

I found a couple of interesting articles:  butyl tape used to waterproof screws on boats and another similar article butyl tape held up long time.

But it could be used where there is a protrusion (hole made to put something through) into the RV walls/roof structure to make that hole waterproof - e.g. where vents rest on roof, where windows meet the wall studs, where antennas go thru the roof, etc.

So how does this relate to re-sealing around windows/vents etc.  I have read in the forum about Butyl tape being used originally for the LD window openings but resealing is still needed every 10 years or so.  Maybe because LD stopped using Butyl tape or it changed properties (as told in the links above)?  Or because the sealant is really sealing the seam created by the aluminum sheets against the window frame (so water doesn't run underneath the aluminum and get the wood wet).

Jane
Jane & Scott

Reply #23
I'm not Andy, but the windows are removed (have someone outside to catch the window when it comes loose). (It will fall out when you least expect it with disasterous results.  The butyl eventually dries out as solvents escape. That leaves hard cracked material around the exposed edges on top of the windows, especially where sunlight has been hitting. The old stuff is removed, plastic scrapers work well here. Mineral spirits remove the scum. Alcohol wiped clean both on the aluminum walls and the frames. New stuff comes in a roll. Stick it back on the motorhome walls, peel off the paper covering, stick window back in the opening, and screw the window frame back on. Evenly tighten the screws, the butyl material will squeeze out. Use that plastic scraper to remove excess. Wipe down with mineral spirits, alcohol, and wax the motorhome. It leaves a thin gray line, Some paint the line white or black. OK maybe just me!  A lot of work, and takes two people. I know my 20+ year old TK needs it done. It is on the list.   I did this on most of the windows on my previous non LD motorhome.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #24
... The butyl eventually dries out as solvents escape. That leaves hard cracked material around the exposed edges on top of the windows, especially where sunlight has been hitting...

Ron, the boat articles I referred to showed a butyl tape install 31 years old and still good, which implies never replace (or nearly never  :D ).
Maybe the difference is the "newer" butyl tape that was not as good (e.g. not the old stuff that worked better and not the new bed-it tape) so it didn't last as long and did the drying out and cracking?

Maybe I need to hang around more boat people.... 
Jane

Jane & Scott