Skip to main content
Topic: Replace Chairs and Cabinet with Dinette | 26.5 RB  (Read 293 times) previous topic - next topic
Replace Chairs and Cabinet with Dinette | 26.5 RB
Is it possible to replace the two barrel chairs and cabinet with another dinette similar to the one across from the kitchen on the 26.5 RB models? 
-Joe
2005 26.5 RB

Re: Replace Chairs and Cabinet with Dinette | 26.5 RB
Reply #1
Not sure. I sure wish I could replace my chairs and cabinet with a second couch. Maybe someday this project will come to fruition.
2000 RB

Reply #2
Not sure. I sure wish I could replace my chairs and cabinet with a second couch. Maybe someday this project will come to fruition.
Joseph, it is definitely possible, but how picky will you be if it doesn't match exactly with the existing dinette (color, design, etc)?  You can build a dinette to fit the space, or look around on ebay or craigslist for an already-built dinette that you can plop in there.  They are actually very simplistic in their construction.  If you buy one, they come in various widths, so you just need to make sure it doesn't intrude too closely to the opposing couch. 

Cor2man

If you look at how the couches are constructed, you will see that they are really simple for anyone with decent woodworking skills.  It's literally a wood box with another piece of wood that slides on top of the box. That piece of wood also has a front face attached to that is upholstered.  Construction of the boxes is at most a 4-hour job, and then just get an upholsterer to create the cushions to match the other side.  You'd probably have to get the existing couch upholstered also so they match. 
And I if were doing this project, I would make sure I could access the space under the couch for storage.  From factory, you can access it via an outside door, but if you build one yourself you'll need to create a way to access it from inside.  I would do it by leaving the front side of the underlying box off, and make the upholstered front face hinge upward.  Anyway, all that to say that having your 2nd couch is not a far-fetched idea!

Paul

Reply #3
I talked with Vince at LD about taking out the cabinet and barrel chairs in my 30 IB.  I wanted the dinette type seating that is an option.  He said that I would have to disassemble the side of the coach as it was bolted from the outside.  I dont know if that is true or not, but I went ahead and just reupholstered the  chairs along with the rest of the coach.

Reply #4
I talked with Vince at LD about taking out the cabinet and barrel chairs in my 30 IB.  I wanted the dinette type seating that is an option.  He said that I would have to disassemble the side of the coach as it was bolted from the outside.  I dont know if that is true or not, but I went ahead and just reupholstered the  chairs along with the rest of the coach.

Removing any fixed cabinet or seat is a major project in an LD.
LD screws most fixtures in from the outside, requiring the screws to be cut or the fixture will be nearly destroyed in the process of removal.
Do not expect to reuse any removed item since it most likely will come apart in many broken pieces.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
If you look closely at or blow up this photo you can see the hex screws placed through the walls, holding some fixture together in the interior. Underneath my bench dinette seats, I can see the screw points sticking through the framework. They are there to stay.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB