Skip to main content
Topic: hub cap (Read 433 times) previous topic - next topic
hub cap
So in walking around our rig today, I noticed we lost one of the nuts that holds the hub cap on on a rear tire. I don't *think* it was missing last time we checked air in the tires, but who knows. I think that only two of the nuts actually do anything. The missing one has a long stud sticking out the hole, and the hub cap seems loose. I found a funky pliers like tool in the compartment that has the spare tire. It has handles like pliers and the business end forms a hex when closed that seems to fit the nuts. I tried to tighten up the nut 180 degrees from the missing one, but that funky tool really doesn't spin around. The center cap gets in the way. I'll see if I can find a socket that might fit it. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement and maybe a spare or two to carry with me?

Thanks
Sean
2001 MB

Re: hub cap
Reply #2
Sean,

Here’s an interesting video about installing a nut on a wheel simulator such as those on some LD’s. https://youtu.be/oc5_IiA_6vE

Of course this may only work on the “found” nut. New replacement nuts may be attatched differently.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
The missing one has a long stud sticking out the hole, and the hub cap seems loose. I found a funky pliers like tool in the compartment that has the spare tire. It has handles like pliers and the business end forms a hex when closed that seems to fit the nuts. I tried to tighten up the nut 180 degrees from the missing one, but that funky tool really doesn't spin around.
From your description and on a 2001 LD, I'm pretty sure you have the KII wheel simulators from Kaper.  The tool you describe certainly sounds like the tool used for cases like our Bus where a chrome cap fits tightly over the actual wheel lug nuts.  That tools wouldn't be terribly useful on the KII covers.  You should have a metal socket wrench with a T-handle to loosen/tighten the two chrome covered nuts that screw onto those studs.  The other 6 "nuts" are just hollow decorative shells.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
So in walking around our rig today, I noticed we lost one of the nuts that holds the hub cap on on a rear tire. I don't *think* it was missing last time we checked air in the tires, but who knows. I think that only two of the nuts actually do anything. The missing one has a long stud sticking out the hole, and the hub cap seems loose. I found a funky pliers like tool in the compartment that has the spare tire. It has handles like pliers and the business end forms a hex when closed that seems to fit the nuts. I tried to tighten up the nut 180 degrees from the missing one, but that funky tool really doesn't spin around. The center cap gets in the way. I'll see if I can find a socket that might fit it. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement and maybe a spare or two to carry with me?

Thanks
Sean
I posted these some time back. Might help. http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=348

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
You should have a metal socket wrench with a T-handle to loosen/tighten the two chrome covered nuts that screw onto those studs.  The other 6 "nuts" are just hollow decorative shells.

It is easy to twist off one of the fake nuts and destroy the looks of the wheel cover.
Each cover has two actual nuts, they can be identified by the dimples on the side of their chrome covers.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
So I went digging around the spare tire and I found the correct tool. I went around and tightened up the rest of the nuts and the driver side rear one was loose on both nuts as well.

Here's a picture of the two tools.
2001 MB

Reply #7
I'm glad that you found that you have the correct tool.  I'm not sure what the red handled nut cover tool was doing in an LD.  If you have to drive much, maybe you should remove the cover missing the one nut until you can get a replacement.  I'd also recommend removing the wheel covers anytime you take the coach to a shop for tire and/or wheel service.  Not all (few?) techs at a tire store know how these covers mount and can ruin them in a short time or not remount them properly.

Art

Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #8
In case you do lose the hubcap, we have one. A guy rode up to our camp in Quartzsite a few weeks ago asking if we knew anyone who might have lost a "lazy daze hubcap".

Not as such, we replied, but we'd check with our fellow cult members. Turns out he'd been wandering in the desert as one does, and found one. He returned to his camp and fetched it for us. It's been riding around in the back of the pickup ever since.

It's big and shiny. That's all I know.

PS I once sent spouse into Quartzsite in search of small magnets I wanted for some kind of project. No luck, but on his way back he found an entire magnetic door sign for something called Magnashade. We called the number on the sign to report it found, but never heard back. It was too big for the fridge but clung well to the water heater in out last house where it probably still clings.

We finally caught up with the Magnashade guy at the 2017 Escapade in Tucson and ordered a set for the SK-POD. We mentioned finding his sign and he looked at us funny but that was all.
fu
2015TK

Reply #9
Is this still available? We lost one last weekend....

Reply #10
Cactuscc if that one is not available you can order new one from factory. I lost one last summer, ordered it and put in place. 😊🚐
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #11
Supposing an unknowning owner twisted off one of the decorative shells, what is the best way to reattach them? Just supposing.

2006 RB

Reply #12
The wheel covers on your 2006 are made by Kaper II; you might want to call them for advice and any parts needed for replacements.

KII WHEEL SIMULATORS

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Hi Cebuano;  I guess the Facebook meme is "asking for a friend"... If you have the fake nut cover part and it isn't too damaged, you may be able to glue it back into the cover, from the back. Otherwise per Joan.   A few years ago a 2001 was missing one entire simulator and I got the last one from Lazy Daze.  They said they weren't re-stocking that old of a pattern. They might have a 2006 simulator.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB