Skip to main content
Topic: Propane smell?! (Read 680 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane smell?!
Hi all,

As a backstory: I recently had my propane regulator replaced and was told my tank was overfilled and that I should take it to a propane place to have them release some of it. I asked if I could just run the heater a while, and the mechanic said that doing so could still mess up the new regulator. I ran the heater for a while one night, and tried the stove. Everything seemed to work great. I did not smell anything. After running everything, I shut off the propane valve at the tank. That was about a week ago.

Yesterday I drove my RV about 5.5 miles on city streets. About halfway through, I started smelling propane really, really strong.  I stopped, got the dogs out, opened the windows, and investigated. The smell was coming from under the sink. The heater vent is below and to the right of the sink. 

There was no smell from the fridge or the stove/oven.  The valve to the propane tank was still in the off position.
After airing it out and calling my dad, who said it was likely bleed from whatever had been left in the pipes from the heater, I got back in to drive rest of the way. Within a minute or two the smell came back very strongly. Based on what my dad had said, I drove the rest of the way, but with the windows open.  The smell was still quite strong when we arrived, though not as bad as it had been first time I stopped.

I am schedule for a full inspection at the RV mechanic on Feb 12. But I have to drive 11 miles to get there, and no way I will do that if the propane smell is going to start up again. The tank is shut off and there is no smell at the tank, so what is going on?

1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Re: Propane smell?!
Reply #1
Residual gas in the lines dissipates quickly; there may be a slight smell for a very short time, but nothing like you described. Are you sure that the valve at the tank is completely turned off? (Clockwise all the way.) It could be that the tank valve itself needs to be replaced; they do fail. Did they do a pressure leak test after they installed the new regulator? There may be a loose fitting or even a damaged propane line in the area where the smell seems to be coming from.

Others will likely offer suggestions; I hope you can resolve this quickly.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Are you sure that the valve at the tank is completely turned off? (Clockwise all the way.)

Hi, thanks for the response. I turned it as far clockwise as I could. It's pretty stuck.  I know he did a pressure test before replacing the regulator, and assume he did a pressure test after, but I honestly don't know. I will call tomorrow and see and then ask what to do, because your response confirms my concern- that the smell should not have been that strong or lasted that long. The fact that it started each time after I was driving really bothers me. I don't feel comfortable moving it again with that going on.

Ugh.

1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #3
I think if this comes hard on the heels of having the regulator replaced, the two are likely connected. I’d contact whomever did the replacement and suggest that they come to you to inspect it. Sounds too dangerous to be driving around, and I would emphasize that to them. Good luck!  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #4

Well Lisa. Are you sure it is propane, or could it be fumes from your holding tanks?. Run some water into your traps to see if that helps, and put a deoderizing tank product in also. If the propane tank valve is off, can you light a burner on the stove? If you can, the main tank shut off valve isn't working. Also propane can leak out from the packing gland seal at the shaft of the valve. Soapy water can check that for gas leaks.
   Secondly if you did have a propane leak, it should be more noticeable while stationary, and not as noticeable while in motion. Propane is heavier than air. You do have a LPG detector, right? If you don't, get one!   Amazon.com: MTI INDUSTRIES 30442PBR 12V Propane/Gas Detector: Automotive
    I can't remember if your engine has fuel injection, or a carburetor, but could it be gasoline you are smelling?   RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
"Are you sure it is propane, or could it be fumes from your holding tanks?"
----
I can't say what Lisa is smelling, and every possible 'stink origin' is certainly worth investigating, but, to me, holding tank odors and LPG odor (mercaptan, the odorizer in LPG) smell nothing alike. (Ditto gasoline, brake fluid, and transmission fluid.)

If the problem is indeed a propane leak, I'd advise against lighting anything until the system can be thoroughly checked out by a propane tech.

YMMV, as ever.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Lisa, it’s relatively easy to test for leaking by performing a soap bubble test yourself. Google RV soap bubble test and you will find lots of info on it.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7

This product works very well to detect leaks in propane connections; it's fairly thick, and remains on the connection for a longer time than a thin, 'soapy water' solution so even a slow leak can be detected. 'Better Bubble' may also be available at Home Depot or from online vendors. It wipes off easily, doesn't leave a residue, and doesn't harm brass or rubber like some 'soaps' can.

Rectorseal 65554 8-Ounce Bottle Better Bubble Leak Locator - Household Paint...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
There are any number of LP Detection products on the market, Home Depot and Lowes should have them. The one I'm partial to is 'Snoop'. When I worked for BART that is what we used. It's been in my kit ever since.

Snoop Liquid Leak Detector | Swagelok | Swagelok
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Then there are “sniffers”. Newer LD’s have them built in. If the “smell” is coming from beneath a cabinet or elsewhere the sniffer should be able to isolate it.

Here’s what this Amazon item looks like.

Best wishes for an uneventful search and rescue.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #10
"I don't feel comfortable moving it again with that going on."

I'm wondering why your built-in alarm did not sound. All LDs have such a device... unless yours is not functional.   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #12
"I don't feel comfortable moving it again with that going on."

I'm wondering why your built-in alarm did not sound. All LDs have such a device... unless yours is not functional.   :o
Where is it located?

I'm in the midst of clearing out my house and my LD is currently parked in street in front of my temporary housing. It's been pouring rain on and off for days and I don't have time to do anything but pack, so for now I have to leave it. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some time to deal with this.

As for the smell- most definitely not gasoline. It smells just like it did when my dad initially opened the valve on the propane tank (where we subsequently discovered leak in regulator), but much, much stronger.  As of yet nobody can explain why the smell would start after I start driving, but go away when vehicle stopped. That is a mystery waiting to be unraveled.

1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #13
I know this is off topic but.....

Lisa,
In this rain are your windows and vents shut? You had a flood in RV last time it rained.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #14
Yes! I opened them to air out vehicle that evening, but closed everything before the rain returned. Thanks for asking.

I just talked to the RV guy- he said same as my dad: makes no sense that the smell would be coming only when driving, and he thinks it's exhaust coming up from below, maybe from loose or missing seals around sink. Suggested i call muffler places, but agreed that exhaust or propane, not safe to drive. I may have it towed. Make AAA work for their money.

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #15
"Where is it located?"

I'm not familiar with your floor plan but one thing for sure, it will be located low, near the floor, most probably in the kitchen area. In my 30' it is located just in front of where my toes would be if I were standing by the sink.

LP gas is heavier than air and so it will sink to the lowest level. The detectors are very sensitive and can be set off with common hair spray. I use a gas match (blow out flame) to test mine.

If your alarm is functional and did not sound off I would suspect something other than LP fumes. The suggestion of having a muffler shop take a look is a wise idea. Exhaust fumes will give you a terrific headache and prolonged exposure can kill a person by carbon monoxide poisoning.   ???
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #16
Hey all,
I'm about to throw in the towel here. I just feel like crying.

Today I was supposed to have appointment for my LD to get full once over, and get the propane smell investigated. Called AAA yesterday about a tow as I didn't feel safe driving it with that smell. AAA took all the info and said an hour, but I couldn't chance them coming too late and having the shop close. So they said call first thing this a.m. and they'd send tow. Got up and called at 7:30 as appt. at 9 and it's only 10 miles away. Two hours later I was still arguing with AAA as they claimed they don't have tow trucks sufficient for an RV, though I pay for a membership that includes RV tow and they towed it last year. So I called every possible person I could think of, and eventually AAA, who said they had no truck for RV, sent a tow truck (with "AAA" painted on the side), but it was already past 10am when it arrived and my appt was for 9am. At 11:30 I got call from the shop owner who was pissed at the later arrival (i had told him earlier I was trying to get the promised truck, and he said it needed to be there no later than 10, but by then the tow truck was finally on its way to my place). He said he took in two new RVs in that one hour and had no room, so sent it back to my place.
The tow driver apparently left the lights on, draining the battery. He jumped it so I could park, but after he left the battery completely died again, so it's now somewhat in a red zone. 
There are NO RV places around here with decent reviews, that guy, who seemed to know his sh*t, now seems like a world class controlling douche (tow driver was blown away that the guy would send the RV back and said there was plenty of room but the repair guy had a real attitude), and I just can't deal with this hassle. 

I am now filing a complaint against AAA, as they have absolutely failed in providing the service I pay for. While I was on the phone with a AAA supervisor who was giving me attitude about how I wasn't letting her talk, a AAA dispatch person left me a voicemail saying AAA has no trucks to tow in RV in my area, they can't assist me, and I could call commercial tow companies and pay for it myself and then request "reimbursement consideration."
Defeats the purpose of having AAA. 

I am so, so fed up. Too much to deal with while moving and selling a house. Or even if not doing all those other things.

Ugh.

Lisa G.
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #17
Lisa, I'm sorry for your troubles and definitely understand your frustration, but your experience with AAA 'RV', while it may not be the same as that of others who have whatever 'RV emergency road service' policy their particularly AAA district offers, is a story I've heard - and I doubt if I'm alone in this - many times.

I hope you will be able to resolve these issues, and I suggest that part of any 'resolution' be going with an emergency road service designed for RV service, e.g., Coach Net. There's no perfect solution, and no guarantees, but, IMO, one's chances for prompt, competent, and reliable RV road service and towing are a great deal better with an RV-specific contract.

As always, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
I suggest that part of any 'resolution' be going with an emergency road service designed for RV service, e.g., Coach Net. There's no perfect solution, and no guarantees, but, IMO, one's chances for prompt, competent, and reliable RV road service and towing are a great deal better with an RV-specific contract.

As always, YMMV.

Thanks. I am looking at coach net now. It seems a bit restrictive.  I'd like to know what peoples' experiences have been using the service, i.e. how long it takes for a tow truck to arrive, whether anyone's been told a tow was not covered due to alleged negligent maintenance of vehicle, etc. 

Thanks,

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #19
Lisa. Make sure that your propane tank is turned off. (righty tighty, lefty loosey). Light your cooktop burners until they go out. If they don't your tank valve isn't shutting, and you will need this repaired first. If the burners won't light, or go out soon, I don't see how you could have any propane in the rig. Use a butane match (not lit) to test your LPG detector. It might take a few minutes to get the butane concentration up to where it will alarm. The dark hole in the center is where the sensor is. 5 to 10 years is about how long they last. Usually they just become less sensitive the older they get.   Classic LP Gas Alarm Flush Mount, Tan - MTI Industries 30-442-BR - Alarm...
   With the propane tank turned off, drive your motorhome to a service place. A non working propane system doesn't actually disable your rig on the road. Maybe that is why AAA and other insurers won't come to your rescue. Take Uber home. Visit every few days in your other vehicle to keep a presence near the motorhome to be repaired. Some will charge you storage fees if you don't keep on top of it.    RonB

Reply #20
Hi,

Thanks for the info. My battery completely died since the tow, was jumped twice and wouldn't charge, so I got it towed again to a shop for inspection of alternator. Realized it was still under warranty, so having that fixed first, then it's going to another RV shop (NOT the guy who refused to let tow truck drop it off because it was past the appointment time!).

On the RV shop's suggestion, I did try lighting the stove to see if there was gas in the line. Using the igniter it did not light, and when I pressed the burner knob I did not smell or hear any gas. 

I just called Lazy Daze and spoke with Vince, as everyone I've talked to has said it makes no sense that the propane smell would ONLY start when the vehicle was being driven.  Vince said it could be residual gas in the line, and I'm not sure he believed me when I said the smell was very, very strong both times, seemingly too much for residual gas.  My friend came into the LD to smell it and after the second time she said asked if I had a weird feeling my my mouth because she did, and she got a headache.  Was definitely not my imagination or exaggerated. IN any event, Vince echoed the message above in that so long as I keep the tank turned off, I should be ok to drive it to the shop.  Fingers crossed. 

It would be one thing if I just had this to deal with, but selling my house feels like a full time job, in addition to my full time job. And dealing with AAA, the prima donna repair guy, and all the tow trucks (have had my vehicle towed 3 times in 2 days!), all while living in a sublet in a quiet residential area where i KNOW the neighbors are no happy about a giant RV parked on the street, is kind of overwhelming. I want this thing fixed so I can get it and drive away for an indefinite period of time. 

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #21
OK, now I feel like I'm getting somewhere. A headache is the first and foremost symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. Quite likely from the engine exhaust, leaking from a manifold or hole in the exhaust pipe. It would make sense that it would only smell, (that's unburned gasoline), with the engine running. CO has no detectable odor. You need a CO monitor anyway. This one will last seven years, you do need to feed it batteries about once a year. Kidde Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Electrochemical KN-COPP-B-LPM | Zoro.com.
   Read about CO poisoning here.Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Signs, Symptoms, and Complications
   If you have had the engine cover removed, you need to make sure that it was put back in place properly.   In the dark, place a bright light under the engine and see if you can see any light leaks to the inside. Some smog check or other repairmen aren't very good at getting the cover back on right.   RonB

Reply #22
I'm pretty sure it was not exhaust.  I actually ran the engine the other day and went to the exhaust pipe to smell it- it smells nothing like what we smelled in the vehicle. The smell was most definitely a natural gas additive type smell.  It smelled like propane!

I hope to find out soon what the issue is, and when I do, I'll post here. 

Thanks,

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #23
I'm not sure why folks are having trouble believing that Lisa knows what propane smells like. She's smelled exhaust, gasoline, and propane, and is clear on the fact that the odor in her rig is propane. And a headache is one of the most common symptoms of propane inhalation.

Why the propane smell is so strong when the rig is being driven remains to be seen, but there's no doubt at this point that it's there--and in large enough amounts to cause physical symptoms. And I hate to say this, but I'm not at all sure that the rig is “safe to drive as long as the tank is shut off.” The shutoff valve at the tank could be leaking. The connection from the tank to the valve could be leaking. The tank itself could be leaking. It doesn't matter how gas is leaking out--the key fact is that propane is present in large amounts while driving, and that's a very dangerous situation. If it were my rig, I would not drive it anywhere until this is fixed. I know that means more towing, but...

Lisa, you asked about road services. Like Joan, I've heard a number of bad stories about AAA's RV service over the years. Apparently they are happy to take your money and sell you a special RV plan, but when the time comes to use it, you're apt to discover that RV service is not available in the AAA region where you happen to be... or maybe worse, they'll send out a small tow truck that can't handle anything bigger than an SUV, with a driver who has never dealt with a motorhome. You do NOT want that person messing with your Lazy Daze!

Coach Net is the service many of us have been using for years. I've called on them three or four times in the past twenty years, and have only been disappointed once. That was when my Lazy Daze was struck by lightning. As I wrote back then,

When the day rolled around for the tow, I called Coach-Net to confirm... and got a nasty shock: they told me I was going to have to pay the $478 cost out of my own pocket. It turns out that Coach-Net, like AAA and other such services, only covers mechanical breakdowns—flat tires, burst radiator hoses and the like—but they don't cover accidents, and they consider lightning to be an accident. That's not unreasonable, but it was a very unpleasant surprise. Fortunately, it turned out that my Progressive insurance policy includes coverage for towing, regardless of cause. (If you don't have this clause on your policy, I recommend adding it. It's quite inexpensive, and can save you from a major towing bill.)

I don't know how Coach-Net would handle your current situation, but in the long run, I think they're probably your best bet. Meanwhile, I'd suggest checking with your insurance company. They may cover towing... and they have every reason NOT to want you to risk a propane explosion on a vehicle that they insure!

Lisa, I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this nightmare situation, let alone dealing with that and a full-time job and selling your house! I know from experience how stressful that can be. I hope you'll be able to get this propane leak fixed soon and move on with your life. In the meantime, stay safe!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #24
Just a thought, but was a window open in the rig near where the propane tank is located while the rig was moving?  That could have sucked the fumes in and concentrated the smell, whereas a stationary rig would permit most of  the fumes to dissipate to the outside air. No expertise here, just wondering. 🤔. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄