Skip to main content
Topic: door lock and key change (Read 196 times) previous topic - next topic
door lock and key change
evening;   we have a question that came up with our trip to mexico to the dentist;  Can the lock and key on the main door be replaced with something more substantial??   You know the little simple key and lock seem pretty unsecure for certain circumstances.      I have seen a couple that actually did the fold over pad lock like we used to call outhouse door locks or shed locks :::    ANT NO WAY but I hope there is something nice and clean looking.  
Our ld is a 23.5    2005  Front Lounge. 

Thanks for the help
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Re: door lock and key change
Reply #1
we have a question that came up with our trip to mexico to the dentist;  Can the lock and key on the main door be replaced with something more substantial?? 

The door isn't very substantial and neither are the windows, Locks keep honest people honest, that's it.
If someone want into your LD, and the door is too difficult to get through, a pry bar will pop a window open .
You can use wood dowelling to block the windows but how do you prevent someone from tearing the plastic escape hatch off and entering?    A child can drop though the other vent openings.

Your best bet is not to display any wealth, keep your toys out of sight and be careful where you park it..
I'm sure others will have better ideas but turning your LD into a fortress isn't going to be easy.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Did you drive in Mexico? I hope with liability insurance that was purchased for the excursion. An accident there without insurance would make your concern about the door trivial. Most people walk over and back or take a cab from the border.

What Larry said. The cab doors are more vulnerable than the side door. Some put a tie down strap from armrest to armrest.

I feel safer in Mexico than I do in California.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #3
thanks guys;  I guess I wasn't really clear what I was trying to avoid is that the simple keys are so common that people can get them and just walk in.    like cargo keys you can buy them in any rv place and our door has one. 
Also to clear up we walk across the border and park in usa.
thanks so much ,   an larry are you in that horrible weather out there?
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Reply #4
The previous owner of my LD installed an alarm system that sounds the horn if the cab or coach doors are opened while the system is armed.  That, and maybe a warning sticker, would probably do more than fortification.

The cab portion seems to be something that would be standard for a E450 van alarm at a car audio shop.  It comes with Key Fobs.  The coach door portion is just a single open/closed sensor tied into the system.

With kids and a dog (who steps on the cab door lock button to arm the system), the whole thing is typically more hassle than it's worth and I almost never use it. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB