Skip to main content
Topic: Which Club?  (Read 353 times) previous topic - next topic
Which Club?
Escapees, Good Sam, Cruise America, Passport America, or ???
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Re: Which Club?
Reply #1
What exactly is the question? Some of us need it spelled out for us 😁
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #3
I think it partly depends on how and where you travel.  Passport America can work well if you are willing to search out member campgrounds and deal with any discount restrictions each campground may have.  Escapees is a great organization, but more oriented to full time RVers.  We were members before going full time, and now use their mail forwarding service and domicile service.  We have a Good Sam membership which provides a small discount at many RV parks and we also have the Pilot/FlyingJ RV Plus card through Good Sam which allows us to pay at the pump in the truck diesel lanes.  We also carry a KOA card, as their campgrounds often make decent overnight stops for us.  If old enough and like federal campgrounds, the Senior Pass is a great deal even though the purchase price recently went up.  If you like boondocking, you may want to look into Harvest Hosts.  We've never been interested in membership clubs like Thousand Trails, but they work for some folks that tend to go back to the same parks all the time.

HTH,
Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
I've been a member of 3 of those in the past, but am not a member of any right now.  It really depends on your travels style for the particular year of membership.

I think this is good advice:
RV Clubs - Which are Worth Joining? | Technomadia
and
RV Clubs

Rich
'03 MB in NC

Wow! That link is rv biblical! TY!
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Reply #5
I don't want anything to do with a club that would have me as a member. But AAA is on my list for roadside assistance. Good Sam should be called "Marginal Sam".
1996 Twin King

Reply #6
"But AAA is on my list for roadside assistance.
---
For quite a long time, some AAA regions did not offer emergency road service coverage for RVs; the Northern California region was one of them. I think that it does now, but I would definitely check the individual district's RV road service coverage policies very carefully and compare the costs and services to an emergency road service plan like Coach Net, and verify whether the services are offered where and when one needs them, and with the appropriate equipment and personnel to do the job. 

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
What does AAA roadside assistance for RV's cost?

(AAA is not disclosing this information unless I actually sign up, which in my opinion makes them rather dubious.)
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
Just an opinion: I keep a basic AAA membership because I use their paper maps, get a small RV park discount (usually 10%, if I happen to stay at an RV park which offers this; I've not found any that offer GS that don't offer AAA), and prefer not to use my CoachNet contract for any local road service that I might need for the car.

For the LD, I have CoachNet; happily, I have not had to use the service in over 15 years, but I am a lot more confident that, if I do need emergency road service, CoachNet (an RV service) is far more likely than AAA (an automobile service) to send what and who is needed.

As for other 'clubs', I suggest carefully evaluating the advantages and perks of membership for direct benefit to the subscriber and any duplication or overlap of services among 'clubs' that one may already belong to before joining others.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Escapees, Good Sam, Cruise America, Passport America, or ???

I was not aware that Cruise America was a "club."  I thought all they did was rent RVs.....?

As for the other 3, we belong to each.  We're lifetime members of both Escapees and Good Sam, although if we had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't bother with Good Sam.

We don't very often stay in RV parks, so we look closely at Passport America each time the renewal comes up.  So far, we've renewed because we have one RV park on our trip south in the fall and again in the spring where we stay, that the savings pay for the annual fee.  So any other PA park we stay at is pretty much icing on the cake.
Linda Hylton

Reply #10
"I was not aware that Cruise America was a "club."  I thought all they did was rent RVs.....?"
----
AFAIK, you're right; Cruise America is a rental and sales (of previously rented RVs) outfit only.

Re: Good Sam

Consider all aspects and decide for yourself; in other words, YMMV. The link offers opinion pieces which may or may not agree with your personal point of view, and is posted only as an FYI.

You searched for Good Sam club - RV Travel
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Klaus, I'd totally skip AAA..had a VERY bad experience with them a few years ago. My old SOB ran out of gas after being stuck in a construction zone..when I called them they sent an "affiliate" that was contracted to them..guy showed up with one gal. of gas..one! When I told him that SOB only got 5-7 mph and I'd need more, an argument ensued...He wouldn't go and get more, even when I was paying for it.
He ended up just leaving me on the side of the road at 2am. After calling AAA again [from a call box a half mile up the road that I had to walk to [no I didn't have a cell ph. at that time].
They had to send another service person who was 40 miles away..I didn't get the gas I needed til almost 4:30am. When I complained to AAA they said they had no control over their franchise people..they did NOTHING about the treatment I endured.
Go with Coach Net..much better, 1,000 times more dependable...trust us here on the forum, we know where of we speak! Grin At 07:28 AM 2/2/2019, you wrote:

What does AAA Plus RV or AAA Premier RV cost?

(AAA is not disclosing this information unless I actually sign up, which in my opinion makes them quite dubious.)

2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

You can reply to this email and have it posted as a topic reply.
LDO Links:

index.php?action=notifyboard;board=3.0 Regards, The Lazy Daze Owners Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #12
AAA RV towing isn't worth it, every state has different rules. The AAA is an umbrella for all the separate regional Auto Clubs, each club is an independent organization.
I keep a basic AAA memberships for their DMV services, the maps, Westways Magaizine and occasional travel planning.

I need a towing service that covers the entire country with the same rules. Coach-Net, so far, has worked fine the two times we have used them. The RV towing also covers your personal vehicles and tow car.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze