Skip to main content
Topic: Magazines (Read 133 times) previous topic - next topic
Magazines
If I were to sbscribe to a RV Magazine, what would you recommend, if any?
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Re: Magazines
Reply #1
"If I were to sbscribe to a RV Magazine, what would you recommend, if any?"
---
In my experience, anything you might find in an RV paper magazine, including all the ads, is available from online sources, and, since publication times often run weeks or months from the time the information is gathered, online information is often a lot more current. If you really want a "magazine", you might want to check for an online version.

I'm sure that others will disagree, but I would save the price of a subscription and spend the cash on some goody for the rig.  YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
If I were to sbscribe to a RV Magazine, what would you recommend, if any?
I've subscribed to MotorHome and Trailer Life for many years primarily because I like to see what's new. They aren't terribly expensive - maybe a 12 pac of beer a year? They pander to RV manufacturers and wouldn't write a critical review even if the RV fell apart during a test run.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
"They pander to RV manufacturers and wouldn't write a critical review even if the RV fell apart during a test run."
----
 :D 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Hi.. I have gotten all three, MotorHome, Trailer Life and FMCA for 30+ years. When they do badmouth a rig, you can be sure it's terrible!. 25 years ago or so they reviewed a Newmar, but didn't say anything. They did list it's empty weight, and it's GVWR on the same page. For a $700,000 40' coach, with tag axle, that nice tile flooring and granite counter tops left it a whole 50 pounds or so for food, supplies, and whatever else you wanted to take with you! I xeroxed (remember when that was a verb?) that page and posted on my office wall. A bunch of engineers, you can be sure it raised a few eyebrows!
   My favorite is MotorHome, the complaints and resolutions, along with ever present slideout issues. Lately I've seen some more stern comments about weight issues. They'll probably let that writer 'go' soon. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
I agree with Joan.  Save your money.   Go to the local RV show if you'd like to see what is new.  At the same time you'll be able to get a hands on look. 
Years ago I learned the the quickest way to find out if the sales person knew the RV product was to ask about the weights.   If you get a straight answer then you are dealing with someone with some knowledge.  If not just look and run.  
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
Another thought: Request that your local library subscribe to MotorHome or any other magazine and read it/them there.
2003 TK has a new home