Skip to main content
Topic: A little crack on the fiber glass (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic
A little crack on the fiber glass
I am thinking of filling it with 5200. Any other suggestion.  What's behind those fiber glass?
2003 RB

Re: A little crack on the fiber glass
Reply #1
Are you able to get a clearer/closer photo? Not enough detail is visible to offer suggestions.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
A little fiberglass, a little resin and some wet and dry sandpaper. Good as new.
Fixed a lot of dinged surfboards way back when.

Just for fun I goggled dinged surfboards and there's actually some new easy to use products that might be easier than the old fashioned method but the old ways still the best way.

What To Do About Surfboard Dings
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #3
Hi Dave, looks like an impact......maybe a tree branch or very high rock hit. Bondo, for fixing fiberglass is the best. There are also epoxy resin kits already mixed that you just knead, and put in place, smooth down and it will cure in place. good cleaning with a cotton swab ('Q' tip) and some acetone. Be careful with that stuff, it will dissolve lots of things. Sand with really fine grit paper about 600 or better at 1000 grit. A touch up with black, and 'Oxford White' Ford color paint should fix that.
    I use this stuff a lot. You need gloves to mix it. Keep leftovers in refrigerator. (I have a garage 'frig', just drinks)
    jb weld water weld -
   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
When repair dings in the front cap, I have used a thicken (with glass beads) plastic epoxy to fill the hole. After curing the patch gets sanded flat and painted with Oxford white . A fiber reinforced Bondo is another choice.
I prefer epoxy, be it fiberglass or plastic epoxy,  it bonds better.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze