Skip to main content
Topic: Exit/escape hatch lid dimensions (Read 131 times) previous topic - next topic
Exit/escape hatch lid dimensions
I called LD mothership. They told me my '95TK takes a 15" x 22" .

I then measured it.
Now I'm confused.
Anyone know what to get?

2021 Mid Bath

Re: Exit/escape hatch lid dimensions
Reply #1
If the Mothership still has them, get one from them.
If not, remove and take it to a large RV shop and match it. I have had a lot of trouble finding hatch covers that fit correctly.
Take the crank mechanism for matching too, they wear out and come in a two or three variations .
You will need a roll of foam insulation to line the new hatch's inner lip .

Be careful with the old hatch, the hinge and crossbar need to be transferred to the new hatch.
The hinge's pop rivets need to be drilled out, then the old hinge is pop riveted to the new cover.

After the installation is complete, give the new cover a few coats of white paint to help protect it from UV damage.
Give the A/C cover a couple coats of paint too, while you are at it.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
If the Mothership still has them, get one from them.
If not, remove and take it to a large RV shop and match it. I have had a lot of trouble finding hatch covers that fit correctly.
Take the crank mechanism for matching too, they wear out and come in a two or three variations .
You will need a roll of foam insulation to line the new hatch's inner lip .

Be careful with the old hatch, the hinge and crossbar need to be transferred to the new hatch.
The hinge's pop rivets need to be drilled out, then the old hinge is pop riveted to the new cover.

After the installation is complete, give the new cover a few coats of white paint to help protect it from UV damage.
Give the A/C cover a couple coats of paint too, while you are at it.

Larry

I've always heard paint degrades plastic?
Maybe this was petroleum based spray-paint?

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
I've always heard paint degrades plastic?
Maybe this was petroleum based spray-paint?

Plastic spray paint is available at your local home center.
Auto Specialty Paints Paint For Plastic Product Page
I have never had a problem using regular spray enamel.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I knew it was just a matter of time before the plastic hatch cover would need replacement so I took the cover to a sheet metal shop and had a duplicate cover fabricated from aluminum. Before re-attaching the hardware (hinge and closing mechanism) I covered the inside with stick-on cork shelf liner for insulation and used multi-cell rubber door frame liner for the outside edge seal when closed. I them painted the exterior white and easily reassembled it to the hatch frame.
When having the aluminum hatch cover fabricated I also had an aluminum cover made to replace the plastic refrigerator roof vent cover. Painted it white and installed. It vents very well.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'