Skip to main content
Topic: Yeti Goal Zero battery pack (Read 291 times) previous topic - next topic
Yeti Goal Zero battery pack
Has anyone had any experience with utilizing this sort of auxiliary power in a smaller-than-a-Lazy Daze unit?  Or even as an adjunct "power plant" in any venue?

Yeti 1400 Lithium Portable Power Station WiFi App Enabled / Solar Generator...

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Aubergine

Re: Yeti Goal Zero battery pack
Reply #1
Good morning Judie,

I haven't used that model, but a friend bought a smaller one to use for boondocking with his lightweight trailer.  He uses it to make sure he has enough power for his CPAP for the night without depleting his mickey-mouse little single 12v automotive battery in the trailer.  I do have several Goal Zero products and they make nice stuff and stand behind their products.

At $2100, it is a pretty significant investment...

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2
A lithium power pack that includes solar panels is a waste. Solar is ideal for charging lead-acid technology, which has charge-rate limits. Lithium tech allows charging at very high rates, so high-current fast recharge is better suited. Assuming the battery pack can be recharged from the alternator while driving, I would see if you can get it without the solar panel kit, and save that expense and storage requirement.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yes, it definitely does come separately.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Reply #4
Goal Zero has a number of power stations - at all levels of capacity and size.

Portable Power Packs - battery power stations | Goal Zero/Goal Zero

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #5

I don't see these as cost-effective for most people. Look at the specs. Even if your plan is to charge the Yeti battery pack at home and then take it on a short camping trip, It takes 25 hours to charge with their 5 A wall charger. Once you're out boondocking and need to use their 100 W solar panel, they say recharging will take 28 - 56 hours (and you can bet they are being optimistic). By the way, their solar charge controller is PWM, not MPPT, so you'll be wasting a significant portion of the power from that solar panel.

Let's break down what you're getting: 100 watts of solar power, about 110 amp-hours of lithium battery at 12 VDC, and a 1,500 watt pure sine inverter, plus a few USB charging outlets. The battery is in a 44-pound box with handles, and the solar panel is another 26 pounds (for 100 watts? Sheesh! Most 100 W panels weigh 15-17 pounds.). You pay $2,100 for this outfit.

Let's match these specs with separately purchased components. Renogy 100 W "Compact Design" solar panel: $98. Battle Born 100 Ah lithium (LiFePO4) battery: $949. Victron 75/15 MPPT solar controller: $115. 1,500 W pure sine inverter w/ cables and fuse: $268. USB charging adapters: a dime a dozen.

That's $1,430 total, or two thirds of the Yeti system's cost. Now, I'll be the first to admit this isn't strictly apples to apples. You don't get a suitcase powerpack and a suitcase solar panel. But I put forth these numbers to show how much of a premium you're paying for Goal Zero to put it all in a box with handles. In fact, if you went to an AGM battery instead of a LiFePO4 battery, the cost would drop to $827, or a little more than a third of the Yeti system's cost. The AGM battery weighs 65 pounds, so it would no longer be a portable system, but if you could find a place to stash the battery in your Pleasure-Way, you might not care.

So... now let me ask the question that I should have asked in the first place: what are your intended uses? How long do you expect to be dry-camping at a stretch?  What kinds of devices will you need to power while you're boondocking?

Some things to think about:

A hundred amp-hours of lithium battery means about 80 Ah of usable power. Is that enough?

Do you really need that big inverter? 1,500 watts sound great until you consider that that's over 100 amps when used at full power (e.g, to run a portable water distiller). Your battery won't last very long at that rate. And if you're just going to run a CPAP, Water Pik, MacBook charger, etc., you don't need more than a couple hundred watts. A smaller inverter will be more efficient when idling.

Perhaps most important, do you really need this outfit to be hand-carryable... or would it make more sense to beef up the Pleasure-Way's 12 VDC system instead? That way you'd have only one system to manage instead of two. If your rig's house batteries get too low, you can't just power its outlets from the Yeti powerpack, so things will get awkward.

I understand that an off-the-shelf portable system like the Yeti 1400 is appealing in its simplicity. But in return, you'll pay a high price, and you'll have to juggle two separate electrical systems.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Steve and I have a friend who uses a Yeti 400 to make sure his wife never runs out of power when watching her favorite shows on the satellite TV. 
It has been use for about three years without a failure.  Kinda pricy but easy to use.

Looking at the Yeti 400 specs, it takes 5 Hours to charge, using the 120-VAC wall charger (72W), and 13 hours using the car charger (30W).
It doesn't appear to have a high speed charger available, one that takes advantage of lithium batteries ability to efficiently charge at very high rates. Looks like solar panels would still be needed.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
I have a Yeti 1000 (Costco $850 on Sale) and a 200w System on the roof. It is fantastic and I rarely run out of power.

The MC4 Cables connect to the Anderson Power Pole Adaptor and plug directly into the Yeti and I can get a lot more Wattage to the Yeti as compared to the 120-VAC or 12-V Outlet. I love the display that shows output and input and how long it will take the Yeti to charge to capacity or run out of juice. The 1500/300w Inverter on the Yeti has been used to power my Nespresso Machine, Toaster Oven,  Hair Dryer, Space Heater, Fan, Hot Water Kettle, Laptop, IPad, TV, Phone and I have even plugged the rig into the Yeti to run the Microwave or AC on Low  in an emergency a few times.

There is a premium to pay for the Goal Zero products but I am a fan of the convenience and portability of the Yeti.

Josh
1984 TK

Reply #8
I would check out the Kodiak Inergy, 1100 watt lithium battery and 1800 w pure sine wave inverter, solar and only weighs 20lbs.  Expensive though, and there is a waiting list. Kodiak Portable Solar Generator - Inergy Solar.

And this last post finally takes me from newbie to junior member, only took me six years !
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”