Skip to main content
Topic: Ladder replacement (Read 457 times) previous topic - next topic
Ladder replacement
   Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on buying the correct ladder. My concern is having all the brackets match up. Here is a photo of what I have. 1990 26 1/2MB. Any help would be gladly appreciated.
jon🦈
1990 MB

Re: Ladder replacement
Reply #1
Hi Jon, From what I can see in your photo; I've seen a lot worse running around. Especially on a 1990. The Factory might have some in stock, or they could connect you with the original maker. At the least they could probably tell you how to order the right one for your application.
   The one from camping world doesn't have any standoffs, so I'm going to assume that you could drill where you need ones to match what you have. It also had a hinge in the middle to bend to fit the back contour of your LD. RonB

Outdoor Universal Ladder - Stromberg Carlson LA-401 - Ladders - Camping World
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
   Thank you Ron, I will look into that. I will probably end up calling the mothership. I live about 2 hours away, so not to bad. I just don’t think that it is worth fixing, since it is more of a safety issue, need to have a sturdy ladder. Thanks again.
jon🦈
1990 MB

Reply #3
If it was my ladder I'd patch it with a length of rebar and hose clamps followed by a heavy wrap of duct tape but that's just me. :)
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #4
I would be tempted to leave it.

If it really bothers you, you might try to find a boat tower fabrication place and approach with a 6-pack of local beer.  They could probably make it strong but not pretty in a few minutes for a reasonable price. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #5
I was going to say a piece of aluminum angle and several hose clamps. I think a guy could dress it up pretty well.
1994 MB

Reply #7
    I think that is worth a shot, thank you all for the help. Life is to short to fret over the minor damage.
jon🦈
1990 MB

Reply #8
LD's existing ladder may fit just fine but they do cost a lot and the shipping cost can be as much as the ladder since LD builds a wood shipping box to protect the ladder.
I have replace several ladders, most bent like the one shown. When the tubing has bent and cracked, it has lost most of its strength. The danger I see is the tubing collapsing while the ladder is being climbed.
Adding splint will add strength, if you are good with the makeshift look.

I repaired one ladder by cutting the ladder in half, at the bend, and then using aluminum tubing, whose inner diameter was slightly bigger than the outer diameter of the ladder's tubing, to sleeve the damaged and cut tubing, on both sides.
The repair tubes were the same length as the distance between the ladder's rungs, to effectively transfer the weight from the top to the bottom the ladder . Once completed, the repair wasn't very noticeable and it was a lot cheaper than new ladder..
The tubing was found and purchased through McMaster-Carr. They are one of America's biggest industrial part suppliers and have almost any material you can Imagine .
McMaster-Carr

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Jon, I had checked regarding replacing our missing ladder.  This company
strombergcarlson supplies universal ladders and the stand-offs (the horizontal pieces between the ladder and the RV) are adjustable so you can match them to where your attachments are.  They make only one model but it comes in silver or black.  I saw several on Amazon and it seemed like more than one model, when I told them that they said a dealer might be selling on Amazon but they suggested going to suggest etrailer or camping world.  This ladder holds up to 250 lbs and can be cut to fit your rig (length). 

I am not sure how the above ladder compares to the lazydaze ladder.  I had called Lazydaze to ask about them sending me one, they had strong opinions that was not the way to go (too heavy).

Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #10
Hi Jane; I'm not sure what the mothership was talking about. Maybe they just didn't want to box one up for you. , I mentioned a 'universal' fit Strombercarlson from Camping World that was listed at 11 pounds or so. I'm sure it would be adaptable to fit Jon's or your rig. Most of it looks very much like the one I have on Bluebelle. The treads with the black plastic ends especially looks like mine. My ladder used to have a sticker on it;   a company called "Upland" or "Inland"....something like that. Further looking around shows that StromberCarlson appears to dominate the market.     RonB

Reply #11
Old post BUT I happened to call them awhile back and it was about 1100 bucks for a new ladder. I don't recall if that included shipping or not. I wrecked mine on an oak tree at a state park a while back so I'm trying to decide on what to do myself. 1100 is more than I really want to spend. Considering just deleting it and using a separate ladder since I don't like climbing my big butt on that factory ladder anyways.
2000 26.5 MB

Reply #12
Hi Jtrux;  That $1100 may have been for them replacing it.  Jane's link above still works, and the price is reasonable. 
Universal Exterior RV Ladder - Stromberg Carlson Products Inc.     Of course you get to do the work yourself. Having it always attached means it is there when you need it.  The price is listed from $125 through $250.  The swivel joint (hinges) allows it to fit the curve.       RonB

Reply #13
Old post BUT I happened to call them awhile back and it was about 1100 bucks for a new ladder. I don't recall if that included shipping or not. .

I have bought a couple of ladders from LD and over half the cost was for building a wood box to contain the ladder, and the shipping.
Since the Mothership is just over an hour away from home, it was much cheaper to go pick it up in person.
LD uses a custom bent ladder, I have not found an online, generic replacement that comes close to fitting.

Many folks access the roof through the escape hatch, if their LD has one, preferring not to climb the ladder.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
Might be cheaper to custom build one using a good metal fabrication shop.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
Might be cheaper to custom build one using a good metal fabrication shop.
Hum, mine is good still, but I use to be pretty good at bending electrical conduit.  You might have a good idea.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #16
Hmmm...that is pretty reasonable. Mine is a 2000 model and has a luggage rack up top. Not sure if that plays into it, but that might have been the reason for the higher price.  I was pretty clear when I talked to them also, that was the price for the ladder itself.
2000 26.5 MB