Skip to main content
Topic: The Millenial RVer (Read 428 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Millenial RVer
Reply #1
Small application solar is easiest to get into and break the ice. Our entire house runs on 2 panels and six batteries. Once you learn to live this way in an RV you see it's transferable to your actual house.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #2
Nice view!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
I would love to do some technical upgrades to our 2000 but considering us “millineals” are only camping Fri-Sun 2 house batteries hold us over just fine. On longer trips we have always either plugged in or charged on the road.
2000 RB

Reply #4
I would love to do some technical upgrades to our 2000 but considering us “millineals” are only camping Fri-Sun 2 house batteries hold us over just fine. On longer trips we have always either plugged in or charged on the road.
Two batteries are plenty for camping unless you watch lots of TV. Personally when I go camping I don't bring one and try to avoid all news from the outside world.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #5
Yep, I think I would add 2 more house batteries and a new converter plus a battery monitor if I was to do anything. Solar is cool but I have very little use for it currently.
2000 RB

Reply #6
Small application solar is easiest to get into and break the ice. Our entire house runs on 2 panels and six batteries. Once you learn to live this way in an RV you see it's transferable to your actual house.

Indeed.  The LD has taught me a lot, & if I were building from scratch out at the farm, with the expectation of being there a while (e.g., back in my 20s & looking into the future) I'd certainly want to go this route. 
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #7
Indeed.  The LD has taught me a lot, & if I were building from scratch out at the farm, with the expectation of being there a while (e.g., back in my 20s & looking into the future) I'd certainly want to go this route. 
Things have come a long ways in off grid living and you really don't sacrifice much in comfort or convenience. We have all propane appliances and our two solar panels with six batteries give us plenty of power for lights, TV, computers etc. Things with heating elements such as hair dryers and toasters are the only real concession and if the sun doesn't shine a couple hours of running a very fuel efficient honda 2000 tops off the batteries nicely.
We started down this road  because where we built our retirement home was three miles from nearest power and the cost of bringing it in was enormous. Now that we've been living this way ten years I wouldn't go back to on grid. Really enjoy the self sufficient aspect and countless times over the years we have sat leisurely with our morning coffee watching the local news telling about the latest mass power outage from snow, ice or wind that we are not effected by.

Reply #8
Winnebago now has 3-4 models that offer solar as standard equipment.  Most are needed to run the new compressor fridges in these models.  However the Winnebago Travato is everything the millennials have lusted for!  A bit of a departure from normal motorhome operation.  Must be the future?   the following video is quite long but very informative...almost scary.

So pull up a chair and crack open a beer.

RV Webcast Video Library from Lichtsinn RV including Winnebago Product,...

2003 MB

Reply #9
Prediction: the RV industry is off the mark here.

These things will be as off-putting to millennials as the 'RV with a surround sound entertainment system' was to gen-X. 

The millennials I see who are looking to live/travel in a vehicle is searching craigslist for a old cargo van, showering at Planet Fitness, and cooking on their backpacking stove. 

They are paying on students loans, not sitting on a chunk of change that they want to sign over to the RV industry. 

I interact with a fair number of millenials, and I can't imagine one of them buying something like this.  It looks exactly like it was designed by someone who read a list of 'things millenials want' in a trade magazine, but has never actually met one. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #10
The survey must have taken place out here on the west coast, where a good chunk of them work in Silicon Valley, Portland and Seattle for all the high tech and social media firms and are making six figures and love living off the grid??  ;)
2003 MB