Skip to main content
Topic: roof picture request (Read 247 times) previous topic - next topic
roof picture request
As we are in the process of resealing our roof as per the factory method, I'd like to ask if anyone w/ a recent rig would be willing to snap a picture or two of the top front and side sealing. We talked to Vince about how they go about sealing the roof, but we didn't actually go take a look at the top of the unit they had in the showroom. I'd like to compare the factory look to what we have to see how far off we are.

Thanks in advance
2001 MB

Re: roof picture request
Reply #1
I'd really like to see that photo, as well.  Especially if it includes the application of Eternabond tape.
2006 31' IB

Reply #2
I'm specifically looking for pictures w/ out the Eternabond tape. We decided not to go that route, but to use the factory method w/ the LC sealant.

So I'm looking for pictures of the roof of a newer rig that hasn't had any reseal work done, or one that was resealed by the Mothership recently.
2001 MB

Reply #3
Oops. Sorry for confusing the issue.
2006 31' IB

Reply #4
hi,
Had my roof resealed at the factory last summer.  I can get a pic for you if you give me a couple of days.

Bob
2006 RK

Reply #6
Henness post some pics of your rig!

A North Carolina lazy daze caravan needs to happen...
2000 RB

Reply #7
We had the roof of our 2003 RB resealed at the factory a couple of years ago. Pics attached.

I've tried to show how in this new approach the newer sealant is "mounded up" compared to how it was done in the past.

And a couple of things to note. Perhaps on a new coach this sealant would be painted after application, but in our case it was not. I don't think that adversely affects the sealing or the longevity of this approach, but the new sealant does seem to give off hydrocarbons of some sort, or similar, so when it rains that drips down the sides of the LD and causes more black streaking that we experienced in the past. After washing the motorhome I remove the residual streaks with some lighter fluid and everything looks fine. Adds about 15 minutes to a wash job at the most, assuming the presence of a ladder to make it easy to reach those streaks, which tend to be at the top of the sides of the motorhome.

Also, the raised sealant exacerbates "Lake Newton" a bit. Again, not a big deal, but a bit more water may accumulate up there than in the past and it may not drain off quite as easily.

I'm very happy that we had the factory do this. And I don't expect to have to do it again. Vince says they've not had to reseal a roof done this way. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have success at this if you're willing to take the time and endure the likely mess.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #8
We had the roof of our 2003 RB resealed at the factory a couple of years ago. Pics attached.

I've tried to show how in this new approach the newer sealant is "mounded up" compared to how it was done in the past.

And a couple of things to note. Perhaps on a new coach this sealant would be painted after application, but in our case it was not. I don't think that adversely affects the sealing or the longevity of this approach, but the new sealant does seem to give off hydrocarbons of some sort, or similar, so when it rains that drips down the sides of the LD and causes more black streaking that we experienced in the past. After washing the motorhome I remove the residual streaks with some lighter fluid and everything looks fine. Adds about 15 minutes to a wash job at the most, assuming the presence of a ladder to make it easy to reach those streaks, which tend to be at the top of the sides of the motorhome.

Also, the raised sealant exacerbates "Lake Newton" a bit. Again, not a big deal, but a bit more water may accumulate up there than in the past and it may not drain off quite as easily.

I'm very happy that we had the factory do this. And I don't expect to have to do it again. Vince says they've not had to reseal a roof done this way. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have success at this if you're willing to take the time and endure the likely mess.

Thanks a million for this. Makes me feel much better about how our's looks. Here is a gallery of what the wife has been able to do. Pictures

Here's the pictures out of that album.
2001 MB

Reply #9
That’s looking good!

If you find the seal collects dirt going over it with eternabond gives a super nice finish and cleans up easily. Obviously this would give you a seal that will no doubt last pretty much forever and scrubs clean super easily.
2000 RB

Reply #10
The older roof sealants were self-leveling, unlike the new sealant that holds its shape. The newly sealed roof shown above looks fine, vey similar to a new Factory roof. While the application looks OK, it's the preparation that will make or break the job.

When resealing roof, I clean the old sealant and remove any bad spots before applying a bead of 5200 down the middle of the roof seam, to renew the old sealant . Then, after curing,  Eternabond tape is applied over the roof seam. The front of the roof usually require two strips of tape to fully cover the seam. I like the double seal provide by both sealant and tape.

And folks, if you are going to worry about resealing the roof, make sure to reseal the window frames and end caps too,  being the major sources of leaks in todays LDs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
What are you using to seal the seams?

Do be really meticulous with the cleaning and surface prep; for a lasting job, the areas to be sealed need to be very clean and dry. Roof sealing is a steppy, tedious job, and the fewer times it has to be done, the better.  :)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
The wife explains what we are doing here. We're using the LC that Vince at the Mothership recommended, and following the process he described for cleaning.
2001 MB