Skip to main content
Topic: What Do You Think on This LD? (Read 523 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What Do You Think on This LD?
Reply #1
Wow, very low miles for an 89’ and looks clean. Check everywhere for water intrusion, and definitely take it for a test drive. This is a classic RV and if it is in great shape, it is worth the money. Also it will chug a lot of gas but for short weekend trips it is worth it. I have a 1990 mid bath, it is not perfect in all regards but we still love it, good luck.
jon🦈
1990 MB

Reply #2
In one word -- water.    You can not be overly cautious about water intrusion.   I'm guessing this rig has been in the PNW all its life I'd been even more concerned.  
To my eye (and I'm no expert at all) I'd wonder why the overcab front area panel is a different color then the other panels.  And why there is a one clear back window.   I'd also want to know the generator hours.   In a '89 LD the hours should be in the range of 300 or so.   Checking oil and other fluids is not very helpful as a 'good' RV/car dealer will change them before they put it on the lot. 

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
I saw that one too, and it seems like a fairly decent deal on a classic LD. The points about potential water ingress are good ones though. I wouldn't want to purchase this rig (or one like it) without a thorough inspection, so I knew what I was getting into.
Expecting/hoping to begin living in an LD in the next year or two.

Reply #4
Not a fan of those barrel chairs. A sofa on the other side would be so much more practical to me at least. A generator in that year is quite the treat if it works well. Expect many different issues to address but if it has good and dry bones then it could be a gem after working the bugs out.
1996 Twin King

Reply #5
Was looking at this LD.  Any opinions good or bad?

1989 Lazy Daze M-22 Rear Lounge, Gresham OR - - RVtrader.com

As well as what's already been mentioned, if you are handy and have a sizable amount of money to accommodate repairs and maintenance, go for it!

Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Glen, if by color change, you mean on the pic from the left front,  that may be a reflection from a vehicle next to it.
I agree that a real close inspection would be needed.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
Just my opinion but any RV that old is bound to have water damage somewhere unless it was owned by the patron saint of Lazy Daze. Also my opinion that an RV inspection much like a home inspection can't find what it can't see so if you purchase this rig be mentally and financially prepared to have an expensive water damage issue pop up at some point over the time you own it. LD's are great but their wood frame makes them particularly vulnerable to this type of degradation.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #8
I'm no expert either.    I am superstitious.    Lots of improvements in 30 years.      I'd pass, go for something newer even if SOB.     Looks nice but it's really old.    Probably sat for long periods.     How long in PNW?     Rots, leaks, be careful.
2017 Newmar Canyon Star
2002 Lazy Daze MB
2005 Honda CRV Toad

Reply #9
My parents had a sob on that old e350 chassis. I hated the way it drove compared to my sob 1994 with the newer chassis.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #10
Buy the newest rig you can afford especially if you plan to keep it for time.   Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #11
Hi Liz; That clear window in the back probably was broken, and replaced with regular clear glass that was available. Sometimes temporary repairs attain a life of their own. You could easily get it replaced with tinted glass to match when convenient, or put a tinted film on it.
  After 30 years almost anything could be wrong, but this one appears to be in excellent shape. I would bet that it was mostly stored inside, or under some type of car port roof. I think the paint would be more faded if it hadn't been. Diligent care by someone with experience could prevent water damage. Odds are that there might be some. Especially check around that cabover window, and underneath the side and back windows. The interior wood grained vinyl has turned a bit yellow in some places. It is a lot like my '99 TK except for the barrel chairs, which involves loss of storage in an outside compartment.
   Check for rust underneath, and rust on the brake lines, propane tank, and suspension components.  If it has 16.5" wheels, the tires are getting hard to find. Minor things like drapery rods and drapes are easy. Off color outside paint in front is probably ok. The front takes a real beating from sand particles in the slip stream from vehicles in front of you.  At least it isn't the under powered GM chassis from the 1980's. The Ford 460 had it's issues. The price seems high to me, just my opinion, i'd have to see it. Many LD of this vintage didn't have generators, or roof air conditioning. Most did have swamp coolers, but only of much use in dry climates.
    If you can do some of the mechanical work to keep this one on the road, that will help a lot. My previous coach, not an LD, is 39 years old and still on the road with the person I sold it to.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #12
I gotta say one thing about water damage or water intrusion and the big question is always how the vehicle was maintained.  We also own a 1984 itaska since '96 and have maintained calking and sealing and In-Door Winter Storage for its life with us and it has no water intrusion or damage.  Get it's History and INSPECT !

Karen~Liam
                               98 ~ MB
                                 NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #13
I gotta say one thing about water damage or water intrusion and the big question is always how the vehicle was maintained.  We also own a 1984 itaska since '96 and have maintained calking and sealing and In-Door Winter Storage for its life with us and it has no water intrusion or damage.  Get it's History and INSPECT !

Karen~Liam
                               98 ~ MB
                                 NinA

Who has owned the rig over its life is of primary importance in an older RV. When I was shopping for a used LD I called on one 15 years old the original owner had for sale. When I asked him how the roof was he laughed and said these LDs are not like others, you never have to do any water maintenance, they are sealed for life. I didn't even bother making the drive to look at it.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.