Skip to main content
Topic: Propane Tank Gauge/Sensor & Propane Tank Spacer/Stabilizer/Leveler (Read 642 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane Tank Gauge/Sensor & Propane Tank Spacer/Stabilizer/Leveler
I saw this at Home Depot - sold in the gas grill section.  I would not expect this gauge to be extremely accurate but thought it might give a decent idea, since our current propane tank is not connected to the lp part of the panel above the sink in the LD. 
Anyone tried this and have any experience with how well it does/doesn't work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-Propane-Tank-Gauge-530-0074/206405531

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Re: Anyone try this propane tank level gauge out - for removeable tanks
Reply #1
I just bought a new tank for my grill and it came with one.  The person at the grill shop said that when the pointer gets into the red zone, you still have approximately two hours of run time.  Haven't used that much yet, so I can't comment on the accuracy.
2006 31' IB

Reply #2

I tried a similar gauge on my first (1985) Lazy Daze, which had a vertical DOT-type propane tank. It wasn't very useful, because a gauge on the output of a propane tank can only measure gas pressure. That's only loosely related to the actual liquid level inside the tank, and it fluctuates quite a bit. I soon gave up on that gauge. I also tried the stick-on liquid crystal level gauges, but those were all but useless.

My 2003 Lazy Daze had a horizontal ASME tank with a remote-reading float gauge that was reasonably accurate. But when I bought an Airstream trailer, which has dual DOT tanks, I once again faced the problem of determining propane level. Fortunately, technology has advanced, and there's now a very accurate gauge for propane tanks that lack internal level sensors: the $38 AP Products (AKA Mopeka) Tank√. I've been using this system for a year now, and it is very accurate and reliable - unlike anything I've tried in the past.

It senses the propane level by sending ultrasonic pulses upward from a sensor that attaches magnetically to the bottom of the tank. In other words, it uses sonar to gauge the distance from the bottom of the tank to the fluid's surface. The sensor then passes on this information via Bluetooth to your smartphone (using a free app), or to a dedicated readout panel. The first link I posted was for the sensor. If you want both the sensor and the readout, it'll cost you an extra fifty bucks. But if you have an iPhone or equivalent, I'd say just buy the sensor and use the smartphone app. (By the way, the readout works with one or two sensors; the app works with any number of sensors - I'm using two.)

There's one thing you need to know about the Tank√ sensor: because it sticks to the very center of the tank's bottom and is about half an inch thick, it would prevent the tank from sitting level if you didn't use a spacer of some kind to raise the tank slightly. The sensor ships with three small aluminum spacers that clip onto the tank's lower rim, but I found that they tended to fall off and get lost during refilling. A much better solution is a circular rubber rim that fits on the bottom of the tank, such as the Tank Tire or Tank Halo. One of those will add twenty five bucks or so to your total cost. But you can try out the system using the spacers that come with the sensor, and only add a circular spacer later if you need it.

If you need a way to check propane level, I highly recommend the Mopeka/AP Products Tank√ system.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3

Hi Andy; I should have checked ultrasonic detectors, and I should have expected the prices to be lower now. The only experience I have with those was in a semiconductor manufacturing facility, and the going prices were in the $1000 to $2000 range. Toxic and 'special' chemicals even more. Amazing that they can do that now.
   Last night I ran across a bottom tank support spacer here: Amazon.com: EZGO KRAN2 Propane Tank Holder and Stabilizer: Garden & Outdoor
 It seemed good, less expensive and a bit thinner.
    I don't have a removable tank, but with an ASME tank I have clear access to the top and bottom of the tank. The magnetically coupled tank gauge, mechanical float, and 3 segment display still seem to be really unpredictable. Just a few weeks ago my tank gauge said near empty (below 1/8 tank), and a fill got me 5.2 gallons, which means I had about 3 gallons left. Just at 3/8 th's of a tank.   I'll have to check this out, since a weight scale is out of the picture. I wonder if the reliability of the tank sensing would be adversely affected by the change in tank shape. (would need to be very level)    RonB

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Andy, I had looked at that device and wondered if it worked. Thanks for the feedback that it has worked well for you over time.

I know the SeeLevel also has an LP sensor available depending which kit you buy (tanks plus propane) and had thought about using that (not knowing what it took to set it up but knowing the company had a good reputation),

Jane
Jane & Scott

We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #5
"Last night I ran across a bottom tank support spacer here..."

That could be a good alternative to the ring spacers I mentioned, if it would fit in the propane compartment. You'd want to check before ordering. At least in my 1985 twin/king, that compartment was very tight--it wasn't easy to shoehorn the tank back in there after refilling it. Too bad the ring spacers are so overpriced, but they do work, and they don't add horizontal size. (I see that Tweety's lists the Mopeka "halo" for ten bucks less than Amazon, although they probably make it up in shipping.)

"I wonder if the reliability of the tank sensing would be adversely affected by the change in tank shape."

The Mopeka app does have a setting for "Arbitrary" tank size. The app's manual says this:

Arbitrary selection allows you to enter any size you wish if you are using a non standard tank or a horizontal tank.

So it should work. As you know, the change in level in a cylindrical horizontal tank is going to be nonlinear, unlike a vertical tank: as gas is used it'll decrease rapidly at first, then more slowly, then more rapidly again as it nears the bottom of the tank. Is the app smart enough to compensate for this? You'd have to ask Mopeka.

In practice, though, it might not matter that much. After all, the standard float gauge in an ASME tank isn't linear either. (And I've heard of them getting stuck, which can't happen with an ultrasonic sensor.)

"I know the SeeLevel also has an LP sensor available..."

Yes, but it's not really a sensor--just a wired connection to the sender on the horizontal tank. (That's usually a green wire on the back of the stove hood display panel.) Hence its accuracy is no better than the three-bar LED display, but it is much more precise. There's a simple one-time calibration procedure (see below). However, it probably would not work on one of the old vertical tanks.

1. The LPG tank must be full when the sender is calibrated, otherwise the calibration will be invalid. Fill the LPG tank by using an alternate measurement method, such as weight, a spit valve, or a mechanical gauge on the tank.
2. To calibrate, press and hold down the LPG button, the display will show some LPG level.
3. While continuing to hold down the LPG button, press and hold down the BATT button. Continue to hold down both buttons for about 5 seconds until the display shows “LPG”.
4. When this occurs release both buttons, the display will show “CAL” for a second and then shut off, completing the calibration procedure.
5. The LPG can be recalibrated as many times as desired, although recalibration should not be needed unless the LPG tank sender or the display has been replaced.
Andy Baird

Re: Propane Tank Gauge/Sensor & Propane Tank Spacer/Stabilizer/Leveler
Reply #6
I just installed the Mopeka LPG tank level monitor on our ‘15 RB. As always, the onboard OEM tank monitor isn’t as accurate as we would like and likewise the actual LPG tank gauge is not a perfect monitor of the tanks propane level.

Prior to my MBGT trip my onboard monitor said I was down about 25% as did the tanks gauge. Filling up at uhaul proved the monitors way off as I only took on one gallon of propane.

The Mopeka allows for an arbitrary input of horizontal tank size. In our case the OD (as stamped on the tanks ID plate) is 13”.

It was an easy installation/attatchment to the bottom (toward the ground on the tanks side) with the Mopeka magnets. After setting up the perimeters of the device and observing the LPG level on my iPhone, I placed duct tape across the device to secure it to the tank. After taping the device down, I checked the level several times to insure the tape did not interfere with the readings.

I didn’t think the little button magnets would be sufficient to hold the device in place for long and at nearly $40 I didn’t want to replace it anytime soon.

Here are some pics of the installation and software.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
Let us know how it works for you, Kent. I've been very happy with the Mopeka system on my Airstream's vertical tanks, which have no gauges at all. This could be a boon for LD owners.
Andy Baird

Reply #8
Andy,

I’m sure pleased so far. Should eliminate premature trips for propane fill ups. I set the low level alarm for 25%.

The lack of wiring and the replaceable button battery makes it a simple upgrade at a reasonable cost.

If they made them for the holding tanks that would be a bonus. A real no-brainer. 🤪

Kent

Reply #9
Is there any reason the Mopeka couldn't be used in for the water tanks (fresh, grey, black)? If it's able to detect liquid levels I don't see why it wouldn't work.
2001 MB

Reply #10
Sean,

I was curious about that as well. My guess is that particulates would interfere with the sonar signal. If that’s the case then the gray and black tank would be poor candidates for the Mopeka device or a similar system.

The fresh water tank would probably work but the device needs to adhere firmly to the bottom of the tank (which is enclosed from the bottom to protect from road debris (I believe).

The propane tank is steel and the Mopeka attaches with magnets with dialectric grease between the device and the tank (to increase signal strength?).  Mounting from above won’t work because the sonar searches for the top of the water level.

The SeeLevel monitor seems to be the best system for all three tanks although I found a device that intrigued me for possible fresh water monitoring. https://youtu.be/NU4aUmiEbMg
Pretty cool but the price for the device and installation hassles may be a bit too much for some of us.

I spoke with Todd yesterday about issues I’m having with my LD onboard monitor and hope to have the parts for its repair soon. After that, I believe the SeeLevel system will be my next move.

Kent

Reply #11
"My guess is that particulates would interfere with the sonar signal."

That's probably true. Most likely the Mopeka's ultrasonic sender would give false empty readings due to sludge on the tank bottom.

"I found a device that intrigued me for possible fresh water monitoring."

It's not cheap, but that moving-float device should work for fresh water tank monitoring--not gray or black, though. The main drawbacks I see aside from cost are the need to cut a hole in the top of the tank, and the fixed lengths of the available sensors. If your tank is 37 cm deep and you have to choose between 30 cm and 40 cm sensors, you're going to get the 30 cm one... but then it'll read empty when there's still almost a quarter of a tank left.

(One other "gotcha" that I just realized: to install the sliding-float sensor, you need to have accessible space above the tank equal to the total length of the sensor, plus a few inches. Many of us don't have that much free space above our water tanks.)

I agree that the SeeLevel II system is the best overall solution so far for monitoring fresh water, gray and black tanks. Mine does get fooled sometimes by black tank sludge--it doesn't always read "0" after dumping--but it's accurate when the black tank is getting close to full, and that's what I care about. (The fresh water and gray tank readings are always accurate.)
Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yeah the SeeLevel is next on my to-buy list. The Mopeka's interested me because I wouldn't have to run any wires. The Mopeka's are cheap enough that I might get one just to play with.
2001 MB

Reply #13

We also just installed the Mopeka LPG tank level monitor on our LD (on the way back from Morro Bay before we got to Jalama beach.  With our older LD, we have the removable propane tank.  We had read that there needs to be enough room under the tank for the device, so we bought the model that included 3 "aluminum tank spacers" that attach to the bottom of the tank and raise it up about 1/4"-1/3".  While it seemed there was enough room under our tank that the monitor could fit  under without using the tank spacers, since there needs to be no weight on the monitor and we had the space inside the cabinet to use them, we decided to use them.
The link to the model we bought including the spacers is below.
AP Products 024-1001 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

We bought only the tank monitor and connect it via Bluetooth to our tablet so didn't need to buy or install a the monitor display. 

It works great.  However, we did get one funky reading while driving home, where it said something like 27% when we knew it should be much higher.  That night when we stopped it read something like 85%, which was accurate.  I did read that if the tank is at a tilt (or the entire LD is because you are driving up/down a hill, you can get a faulty reading since the liquid would be tilted in the tank.
Since we didn't duct tape it to the tank, we think it also may have moved some, then moved back.  We plan to duct tape it down because while our propane tank is in a bin so we won't lose it like Kent could, when we take it in and out to be filled it could fall off then

We previously used Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker
It worked sort of ok, we had to take multiple readings at the same spot to get a decent idea of where the propane level was and it was around 80% correct.

I would highly recommend the Mopeka LPG tank level monitor over other choices.

Jane

Jane & Scott

Reply #14
Jane,
The Mopeka sensor is likely ultrasonic, so while traveling propane gas gets mixed in with the propane liquid and will give a false reading.  When stationary the propane liquid goes to the bottom and the propane gas bubbles float to the top giving a true reading.  The gas bubbles reflect the ultrasonic waves to the sensor giving a false low.

My Dometic LPGC10 would give me unusual readings on Powder coated tanks, but was fairly reliable on tanks painted with solvent/water based paints.  The powder coat is thicker and creates a detectable ultrasonic reflection at the steel that the sensor reads as empty.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #15
"We plan to duct tape it down"

Bear in mind that you will need to replace the sensor's batteries from time to time--every few months, in my experience.
Andy Baird

Reply #16
Knowing that the battery in the Mopeka Sensor will need periodic replacement, I placed a thick piece of paper between the unit and the adhesive of the tape.

In this way, I hope to eliminate shifting of the device on rough roads and the possibility of road debris knocking the sensor off the tank and it also allows me to make incremental movements to center the device on the tank. In addition, the paper will prevent the Mopeka label from being damaged.

After watching the apps readout of the Sensor data, I noticed that the battery is being utilized while the app is opened on my phone. Otherwise it appears that no readings are being performed and the battery is not being drained. However, to be on the safe side, I purchased 50 Sony replacement batteries (they received the most favorable reviews) from Amazon.

Always be prepared with backups and a big roll of duct tape.

Kent

Reply #17
Update.
We have liked our Mopeka sensor.  It has worked well.
When it gets down to 10-20%  (left) the readings can get off.
We have the portable tank which is rounded at the bottom.
After talking to the Mopeka people they said use a pea size (yup it needs to be that large) of dialectic grease on the sensor, then put the sensor at the "bottom" of the tank middle.  That fixed our initial problems where we would get some empty readings after we had just filled a tank.
We do use a tank ring from mopeka to help elevate the tank (the sensor just fits without but we did this to be sure), it is showing wear and tear and likely needs to be replaced every year or two.
We keep the app closed when we are not checking it and we have only replaced the battery once (after about a year of use).
Jane
Jane & Scott

Reply #18
"Mopeka... said use a pea size (yup it needs to be that large) of dialectic grease on the sensor"

They now include a tiny pod of the grease with the sensor kit, and the instructions explain how to apply it.
Andy Baird