Skip to main content
Topic: Driver’s leg room  (Read 477 times) previous topic - next topic
Driver’s leg room
Hi all. I just purchased a 2001 23.5 and want to make the modification to the bathroom wall (cut an opening) at the back of the driver’s seat so that I can get bit more leg room.  Has anyone done this and can share some pictures, diagrams, or advice.  Thanks, Steve.
Steve W

Re: Driver’s leg room
Reply #1
Hi all. I just purchased a 2001 23.5 and want to make the modification to the bathroom wall (cut an opening) at the back of the driver’s seat so that I can get bit more leg room.  Has anyone done this and can share some pictures, diagrams, or advice.  Thanks, Steve.
Welcome to the Lazy Daze Owners' Forum, Steve. 

I don't have an answer to your question but others may. I've not heard of anyone doing this, but let's see.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Welcome, Steve.  I have a MidBath, so I have a refrigerator there, not the bathroom.  If I were to cut an opening for the seat to move farther back, here is how I would go about it.

1.) I would determine, with some careful measurement, just how much distance there is from the outside to outside of that wall.  From that measurement, subtract for the material thickness on the bathroom side of the wall.  If the amount left is only an inch or two, it probably is not worth the effort and disfigurement to your rig.
2.) If I decided that there was some real potential benefit, I would move the seat as high and as far back as possible, then I would use something like masking tape to mark the edges of the seat, as far around as possible.  Why not magic marker?  I might change my mind, and tape is much easier to remove. 
3.) Lower the seat as much as possible.  Then, measure the separation distance between the wall and the seat back.  When the seat back separation is nearly the same as the wall thickness that you will be exposing, that would be where the cutting ends, as cutting any lower gains you nothing.  Mark that point on the tape.
4.) Remove the seat.
5.) With a stud finder or other means of locating wall studs, examine the cut area in detail.  If you find any bracing inside the wall within the cut area, think several more times if you REALLY want to do this.  Cutting through structural members is almost never a good plan, and if any are present, you would have to remove them to gain any benefit.  Think several more times.
6.) If you decide to go ahead, there are several ways to cut the paneling.  I would NOT use a reciprocating saw.  The paneling is quite thin and would vibrate, leaving you with a ragged edge.  I might use a router with a panel cutting bit, or I might use a razor knife.  Cut the outline and remove the paneling.
7.) Sand the cut edge to get it as smooth as possible. 
8.) You might be able to find edge trim material at a place like Home Depot that you could slide on to dress it up a bit.
9.) Re-install the seat and move it back and up and down to be sure you clear the edges.

Good luck.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #3
Steve, I forgot to mention, before doing any cutting, try to determine if any wiring or plumbing may be in that wall.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #4
Thank you Ken. I read your suggestions carefully. I saw a driver’s door cut out in newer model on utube and it looks very doable. I will use a vibrating saw to get a clean cut. I will send a picture when I get it done.

Steve
Steve W