Skip to main content
Topic: freezing pipes (Read 278 times) previous topic - next topic
freezing pipes
Enclosed is a paper on what happens to pipes during  freezing weather.   There seems to be a misunderstanding on what happens when ice forms in pipes.    It's not the ice that is the issue.  It's the idea that the ice has no place to expand.   For instance water freezing in a black or gray tank is not an issue in reference to do harm to the tanks ie lots of room for ice to expand.   If you drain all water tanks (hot and cold) then blow them out and leave open all facets ie what little remaining water turns to ice it will have a place to expand.  Yes you can place ethanol based antifreeze as a second backup but IMHO that's a belt and suspender thing. 

Freezing and Bursting Pipes

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: freezing pipes
Reply #1
My concern has always been that any residual water would gather in a low point and pool up there to freeze and crack the joint or pipe. I've been doing lots of research on this though and it seems this method is used very successfully on a regular basis.
I have been thinking my little nail gun compressor wouldn't be sufficient to blow out a house but I've been watching videos of people doing this with little compressors just like mine. Still on the fence about this as of now.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #2
Very interesting information, colddog. Thanks for posting that link!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yes, very interesting indeed.  Especially interesting that we really don't have much to worry about until the ambient temperature is around 20 F.  Also, since sink traps are open at both ends without pressure from more water, it looks like we don't have to worry about them at all. 

Rich ex 2000 MB now  2017 Bullet Crossfire trailer pulled by 2014 Chevy 2500 HD Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #4
Yes, very interesting indeed.  Especially interesting that we really don't have much to worry about until the ambient temperature is around 20 F.  Also, since sink traps are open at both ends without pressure from more water, it looks like we don't have to worry about them at all. 

Rich ex 2000 MB now  2017 Bullet Crossfire trailer pulled by 2014 Chevy 2500 HD Birch Bay, WA
Sink traps do freeze and break. Trust me on this. I learned the hard way.

Water always freezes from the top down. Once the tops freeze, the expanding ice formed under the top will crack the side or bottom of the pipe because it has nowhere else to go.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.