Skip to main content
Topic: Subaru Outback flat tow? (Read 578 times) previous topic - next topic
Subaru Outback flat tow?
I wrote Subaru asking if any Outback model can be flat towed.
As I await my answer has anyone here done this?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Subaru Outback flat tow?
Reply #1
I wrote Subaru asking if any Outback model can be flat towed.
As I await my answer has anyone here done this?

None of the automatic Subarus can be flat towed. The reason being that power is delivered to all 4 wheels all the time. You either get a manual or trailer it. We tow a manual tranny Forester.

Jim

Reply #2
None of the automatic Subarus can be flat towed. The reason being that power is delivered to all 4 wheels all the time. You either get a manual or trailer it. We tow a manual tranny Forester.

Jim

We're looking for something a little better off-road than our CR-V.
How do you like your Forester?
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
We're looking for something a little better off-road than our CR-V.
How do you like your Forester?

It's a good vehicle for getting offroad. However, after 6 years of owning it, I'm leaning towards an automatic transmission again and would likely look for a CRV. It's unfortunate that Honda kept dropping the ground clearance. There was a time when it had over 8" but now is just over 6". I've been looking at used 2014 CRVs though which is the last year they were flat towable.

We have a friend who owns an automatic Forester that they don't tow. He takes it on roads that I wouldn't even consider and has never had a problem. A drawback of the manual is that first gear is not low enough to get you up some steeper hills if you stop and try to start again where the automatic does. Once when I was following him on a dirt road we had to stop on a rise before pulling out onto a highway. He had no problem where I couldn't get started again and had to roll back down and start again. That has happened a few times until I stopped getting myself in that situation.

Jim

Reply #4
"We're looking for something a little better off-road than our CR-V."

My presumption is that your CRV is two wheel drive, correct? I tow a 2008 CRV and speaking from the angle of an old 'Off Road Enthusiast" (former owner of an International Scout) I'd day you already have a very good vehicle if you use good judgment on which roads to travel. Stay on graded FS roads and avoid that goat track that goes over the mountain and you will do just fine. Slow down and enjoy, a CRV will take you places you never thought of.  :D  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
The information at this link might answer a lot of "Can I tow this?" questions.  ;)

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Keep in mind that Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guides list only those vehicles that have manufacturer approval for towing 4-down.

If you have a vehicle that's not listed, go to Remco Towing and enter your vehicle's information in the box on the left-hand side of the screen.  This will tell you whether or not your vehicle can be towed 4-down as is, can't be towed 4-down at all, or can be towed 4-down with the addition of something like a lube pump or drive shaft disconnect.
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Good information, Linda; thanks for posting the Remco link!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
I've read the following but it seems to go against the grain of what most people say. Not sure about it.

"AWD Subaru vehicles with manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral. When towing a manual transmission Subaru behind your motor home, you would want the transmission in neutral and the key in the 'ACC' position. As all new models are equipped with digital odometers, mileage will not accumulate when being towed."
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #9
I've read the following but it seems to go against the grain of what most people say. Not sure about it.

"AWD Subaru vehicles with manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral. When towing a manual transmission Subaru behind your motor home, you would want the transmission in neutral and the key in the 'ACC' position. As all new models are equipped with digital odometers, mileage will not accumulate when being towed."

The odometer on our 2011 doesn't accumulate mileage while towing.

Jim

Reply #10
The problem with Subaru is only the manual transmissions can be towed. They are also the basic models with no upgrades, including X-Drive, the very effective traction and braking control system, used in low traction situations.
The only exception are the expensive WRX models, fun to drive but not the vehicle I want to explore back dirt roads with.
Around the year 2000, the Federal crash requirements were increase, especially the side and offset impact protection. This resulted in wider, heavier cars, eliminating many of past favorite toads, such as the various Suzukis, Cherokees and other small 4X4 vehicles.
I would like to update our 2001 Cherokee toad but there is no adequate replacement that weight less the 4000-lbs. Any of the newer Jeep 2-door Wranglers will be over 4000-lbs, once properly equipped, the four-door models will be at or over 5000-lbs.

Honda CRVs are popular, but as Jim pointed out, they sit lower and lower, as the model years pass.
There are companies that sell lift kits that will raise the ground clearance, adding one to two inches, which is probably the limit to keep it dependable, without problems with the axle's CV joints. Better springs, along with improved shocks and alignment mods, will improve the off-road performance and ride.
Lift kits and skid plates are available for most Subarus.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
I liked my 2014 Forester a lot; I'd still be driving it if I hadn't switched to a truck and trailer. But there are some gotchas with recent Subarus. First, the Outback is no longer available in the US with a manual transmission, and none of the CVT automatics can be towed "four down." (Manual Outbacks are still available in Canada.)

And while a manual transmission is still available in the Forester, as Larry pointed out, it's limited to the lower trim lines... so if you want modern features such as lane assist, rear cross traffic alert, or adaptive cruise control, you're out of luck.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #12
"The only exception are the expensive WRX models, fun to drive but not the vehicle I want to explore back dirt roads with."

We had one and it sure was lots of fun. 140 mph felt like a casual 65. We also had a crosstrek and it would make a great toad. Small and low weight with high ground clearance and fantasic mpg. They came in manual then not so sure with new ones.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #13
The manual transmission on the Forester is no longer available starting with the 2019 model.  Although the dinghy guide published by Motorhome says the 2016 is not towable, I have towed mine for 15k+ miles.  I am not sure about the 2017-18 model years.
Charlie Gary
2016 Subaru Forester

Reply #14
This is another place to check with for towing setups. They make driveline disconnects for “non towable vehicles”. Contact Us  
They can help you out with cars that Remco lists as trailer only.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #15
I'm satisfied with the 2011 Honda CRV.   When we plunked the nickel-pile down on the last 2013 31IB, we had a 2011 Toyota Rav4.   The Remco xmission pump would have voided the warranty, so we traded it for the CRV, which is good for light pebble crawling.  65K on the odometer plus the 30K behind the LD.  Never stuck in the sand . . . yet.  I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 I may consider towing at some point - haven't weighed it yet tho'.

Off road towds just don't seem to be a targeted demographic for the auto industries.
Sigh
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #16
I like my 2017 Forester but it is not perfect.  The factory did a poor job of balancing the drivetrain to the with the weight of the car and the performance of the engine.  Chiefly first and reverse are geared to tall.  A lesser complaint is other gears ratios are to much the same, for example both 5th and 6th gears are overdrives with very little difference in engine speed when shifting to 6th.   Before I purchased the car I asked the salesman if it could be towed.  He said yes and showed the paragraph in the owners manual.But those are really nit picking complaints.  I do like the car very much.  I am surprised how flat it is in the corners at speed.  It is not my MINI but with correct tire pressure I can still enjoy a winding country road.  Trip gas milage is ok for a car this size an shape.  The short trips from VA to FL to see family are less often RV trips and more often car trips because it is just easier once there.  Our o7 LD MB pulls the car easily enough when we decide we need the extra wheels along, as we did on a trip to CO last year and VT this year.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #17
I like my 2017 Forester but it is not perfect.  The factory did a poor job of balancing the drivetrain to the with the weight of the car and the performance of the engine. 

You must have the stock engine, my wife's 2015 Forester XT isn't slow, 0-60 MPH in 6.3 seconds.
I felt the Forester's stock 2.5-L, 4-cylinder engine was barely adequate for freeway driving.
Felt the same about the 4 cylinder Outback, it needs the 6-cylinder engine.
Wish Subaru had not gone to CVT transmissions.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #18
You can still order a Subaru with a manual stick transmission if desired...……………………..

Gary
2007 30' TB

Reply #19
I didn't see any 2018 Subaru models listed as suitable for towing in the Motorhome dinghy guide. The 2019 model listings aren't available yet, but it would seem unlikely that the later incarnation of Subarus would be towable when earlier models, all with a CVT (no manual available, as far as I know) are not? Remco states that a 2018 Outback can't be flat towed; it has to be on a trailer.

Maybe earlier model years of Subarus and other brands without the CVT, but the choices of weight-appropriate, manuals (or autos that can be tweaked to tow safely) look to be pretty skimpy.

YMMV, of course.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
According to Subaru, manual transmissions are available only on the following new models:

2019 Crosstrek, 2019 BRZ, 2019 Impreza, 2019 WRX

source:  Subaru Design | Subaru of America | Official Subaru Site
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
I didn't do an investigative research, however, I know the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek was offered with a manual transmission because I took one for a test drive.  I don't know whether a base plate is available.

Gary
2007 30' TB

Reply #22
You must have the stock engine, my wife's 2015 Forester XT isn't slow, 0-60 MPH in 6.3 seconds.
I felt the Forester's stock 2.5-L, 4-cylinder engine was barely adequate for freeway driving.
Felt the same about the 4 cylinder Outback, it needs the 6-cylinder engine.
Wish Subaru had not gone to CVT transmissions.

Larry

Larry, yes it has the stock 2.5 engine.  It is not fast but if one lets the revs build and doesn't take all day to move from one gear to the next the car will scoot ok.  For passing I often drop two gears (6 to 4 or 5 to 3) so the RPM fall in the meat of the power band.  The shift is not always easy because the shifter is somewhat vague when compared to other cars I've driven.  If I could of had the 6 and a standard trans I would have done it.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #23
I didn't do an investigative research, however, I know the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek was offered with a manual transmission because I took one for a test drive.  I don't know whether a base plate is available.

Gary
I would think a crosstrek would be an excellent toad. My wife loved ours but I found it to tiny to feel comfortable in. Great MPG and fun to drive.

Reply #24
I purchased a 1998 Subaru Outback Legacy with a new engine, trans., new belts, radiator, hoses, brakes, tires, etc. for $4500, because I could flat tow it...yes, it is a manual, yes the exterior and interior are twenty years old and show it, but hey, the parts I care about are new or rebuilt. I also don't need to care about dings, paint, etc. Looks a little rough but fits my needs behind my 1998 30ft IB [and the colors match! :-) At 02:52 PM 12/5/2018, you wrote:

I didn't see any 2018 Subaru models listed as suitable for towing in the >Motorhome dinghy guide. The 2019 model listings aren't available yet, but it would seem unlikely that the later incarnation of Subarus would be towable when earlier models, all with a CVT (no manual available, as far as I know) are not? Remco states that a 2018 Outback can't be flat towed; it has to be on a trailer.

Maybe earlier model years of Subarus and other brands without the CVT, but the choices of weight-appropriate, manuals (or autos that can be tweaked to tow safely) look to be pretty skimpy.
YMMV, of course.
2003 TK

You can reply to this email and have it posted as a topic reply.
LDO Links:

index.php?action=notifyboard;board=3.0 Regards, The Lazy Daze Owners Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."