Skip to main content
Topic: Spotted (Read 365 times) previous topic - next topic
Spotted
Spotted older Lazy Daze... bull nose (84?), blue/white, probably 27', possible rear bath, towing newer Honda CRV. Seen her roll by while eating breakfast at Country Waffles, Clayton Valley Shopping Center, Clayton, CA. Old or new they've all got that same great look!   ;)   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Spotted
Reply #1
Steve,
It is a small world.  I lived in Clayton from 1978-2004 and moved to Tucson, AZ.  Used to eat at Mac's restaurant, he had the best biscuits and gravy.  Just went back last year for 50th high school reunion.

Reply #2
Steve,
It is a small world.  I lived in Clayton from 1978-2004 and moved to Tucson, AZ.  Used to eat at Mac's restaurant, he had the best biscuits and gravy.  Just went back last year for 50th high school reunion.

Thanks for the tip!  As someone always on the prowl for the best biscuits and gravy, where exactly is Mac's?

This topic may deserve it's own thread, "Best Biscuits and Gravy."  Kinda like the coffee thread, ya know . . .  ;D
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
"... where exactly is Mac's?"

Indeed! Where is Mac's?

I've lived here since 1976 and Mac's and the Gravy are news to me. Would you by any chance be thinking of "Mac's Old House" which is located way over the hill in Antioch?   ::)

Outside of Country Waffles the best place of which I'm aware is Giant Chef in Pleasant Hill.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #4
No Dad Mac’s is on Main Street in the town of Clayton. I see this is a new food adventure for you. Try it out when mailing that package. 😁
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #5
"No Dad..."

Jeezzz! Her mother used to do that too.   ;)   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Well, I'm sorry but I just don't get it!

Clayton is not a huge metropolis, being a rather small village of the 'don't blink or you'll miss it' category. My memory does not bring to mind a Mac's Restaurant, nor does Google, Trip Advisor or Yelp. In fact, to my intimate knowledge there are only three (3) eating establishments in the entire town, Moresi's Chophouse, Ed's Mudville Grill (both owned by the same guy) and, last but not least, Skipolini's Pizza. That's it ladies and gentlemen, unless you can show me something different.   :P

The Pioneer Inn has been gone for many years now.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Well it looks as if Mac’s is a thing of the past like other things that are around for a while then just vanish 💨
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #8
Steve,  Sorry if I misled you.  Mack Rogers passed away in 2007 and his restaurant closed in the late 90's.  He was a great guy and was from Louisiana and could he cook.  His biscuits and gravy and red-eye gravy makes my mouth water even now.   Here is his obituary:

Mack H. Rogers 1943 - 2007 Resident of Concord Mack Henry Rogers, 63, departed this life May 4, 2007 at his home in Concord, CA. He was born in Baton Rouge, LA and migrated to the San Francisco bay area in the late 1960's. Mack led a full and happy life. He was a strong family man with a big heart and kind and gentle spirit. He always had a smile on his face and a warm greeting on his lips. He truly never met a stranger. A chef and restaurateur, Mack touched thousands of people in the bay area and around the country with his culinary skills. For 14 years, he worked as a chef at Golden West Pancake House. He also worked at Bella Roma Pizza in Concord, which later became Mack's Oak Pit BBQ. When the restaurant moved to Clayton in the 1980's, Mack was able to realize his dream of owning his own business. After the restaurant closed, he spent the remainder of his career enhancing the staffs of various restaurants, including Mack Lou, another of his business ventures, and Holiday Inn. He also ran a catering business, Southwest Catering, with his wife. To know Mack was to know a conversationalist, ever ready to engage family and friends. He had an arsenal of jokes and silly stories in eager anticipation of making people laugh.

Reply #9
"Here is his obituary:..."

Hmmm, interesting story! I think I would have enjoyed meeting him, particularly when you consider how much I love good gravy.  :P

And coincidentally, he died two years, nearly to the day, after I lost my wife.  :'(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!