Skip to main content
Topic: pizza stone-cooking tips (Read 144 times) previous topic - next topic
pizza stone-cooking tips
Hello, almost ready for my maiden voyage. As I still don't have my LD in my driveway I don't know the dimensions of the oven. 2005 RK. I have been reading about folks putting a pizza stone to help with baking, do any of this group use one? What size?
What is your go to cooking essential? Thanks for your thoughts, Sharon
2005 RK

Re: pizza stone-cooking tips
Reply #1
"folks putting a pizza stone to help with baking"

I use a pizza stone in my oven, but be aware that it will likely crack right down the middle because the flame from the burner in the oven is very hot and it runs right down the middle of the oven. 

If you can find baking tiles of some sort, that might be a better choice.  I just use my broken pizza stone, ignoring the fact that it is broken.  So far, none of the food has complained of substandard housing.

On top of the pizza stone, I use an air bake cookie sheet (see below for URL at Kohl's).  This serves three purposes - it insulates, of course, but it also contains minor spills, and makes it easier to remove things from the oven, if you have multiple small items.

Best advice is to watch carefully.  Baking in the Lazy Daze oven is possible, but not nearly so easy as it is at home - at least not for me.  That said  . . .  I have baked everything from brownies to sourdough bread with success, but pretty much it was "trial and error" for a while.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Bunny Escape Route

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2555201/food-network-2-pc-insulated-cookie-sheet-set.jsp?skuid=73685723&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=FOOD%20PREP&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=73685723&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835012&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHc3BTp9HiuBazy1cAsfu48nPfRg3Rf8nxsqwjEbs6GapgLjxlCgXYhoCvCQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reply #2

Sharon

Not having your LD where you can do the touchy-feeley thing you may be in for a surprise when you see that oven! Lets just say that RV ovens are 'different'.

I went out and measured mine so you will have some idea of your future. The 'overall' opening is 15¾"W X 11"H X 14"deep.

However, that's not all useable space. Four inches above the oven floor is a permanent shelf, under which is the burner. One and a half inches above that shelf is a wire rack (the cooking surface). That leaves a whole six inches of cooking space.  :o

As to a pizza stone, I opted to use an insulated cookie sheet (see link below). This diffuses the direct transfer of heat from the burner to the cooking area and prevents scorching.   ::)

Amazon.com: AirBake Natural 2 Pack Cookie Sheet Set, 16 x 14 in: Baking...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
When I bought the RV it was very tricky for the seller to even light the oven. He said that they did not use it much. I read in the manual LD recommends a piezo gas lighter. I remember that the shelf seemed in an odd spot. The pizza stone and air bake cookie sheets make sense. The stone or/and sheet would sit on top of the shelf, then what ever your baking on top of the sheet. Or stacked stone-sheet-baking dish?Right? I thought the shelf was adjustable. Ya don't know what ya don't know. Maybe plan more recipes with crock pot and induction burner. I have a couple week long camping spots that are quite a ways from a grocery store. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate the help.
2005 RK

Reply #4

"Maybe plan more recipes with crock pot and induction burner."
---
Both of these "cookers" require 120VAC; if you're hooked up to shore power or running the generator (and for a long time with a crock pot!), these may be good options, but for the times when you don't have power, the stove will probably be your primary go-to "heat source" for cooking.

You might also consider carrying a small one-burner "chef's" stove; these are powered by butane (or propane) cartridges; I have an old "Max Burton" burner, similar to this one, but there are several brands.

Amazon.com : Max Burton 8253 Table Top Gas Burner (Black), 7650 BTU,...

Depending on how much space you have to carry, store, and use particular cooking items, and how, how much, for how many, and what you cook, you might also consider a traditional "camp stove" and a small grill. (Depending on where you camp, the grill could be charcoal or propane, but in many areas of the west, charcoal and/or open campfires are not permitted.)

Sun ovens, thermal cookers (both topics extensively covered in the past; a search may bring up posts), and quite a few other methods, including campfire cooking (an "intensive" topic, for sure, particularly when it extends to Dutch ovens, tripod cooking, building the right type of cooking fire, etc.), Traeger grills (Outdoors Grilling Traeger | Traeger Wood Fired Grills), large cast iron burners (https://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Explorer-Stove/727834.uts?slotId=3), and maybe several more!

These days, I stick with the simplicity and off-grid ease of using the stove, the small propane grill, and the butane burner; YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home