Skip to main content
Topic: 89’ LD microwave removal. (Read 196 times) previous topic - next topic
89’ LD microwave removal.
Hi everyone!

Our family just purchased an 89 26.5 mid bath model LD and we are trying to remove the microwave but having a hard time.

We removed the oven hood only to find wood flooring underneath the microwave. There’s a metal piece stopping it from just sliding out. This makes no sense, please help!

Thanks a ton, lovely to meet you.

Mandee & Ryan
Of all the roads you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt.
1989 MB

Re: 89’ LD microwave removal.
Reply #1
Hi Mandee and Ryan; Welcome to the club! The MidBath is one of the most common floorplans from that era. It's enough older than my year, that I can only guess. Someone with more experience will have to chime in here. The bar below the microwave is to keep it from sliding out onto the floor. Either that bar is removable, or the air grille above the microwave should be removable. If that can be removed, then the microwave can be lifted up enough for it's feet to clear the bar below. Finding a new one to fit there in that same space might be difficult. RonB 
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Mandee,
My 88 MB is currently in the shop.  The Microwave is mounted above the range hood.  The back of my microwave is visible from the cabinet to the left.  The front trim will have to come off.  I have a vent fan in the back, visible from the overhead storage area to the left to remove moisture from the cabinet, but my shroud is gone, making it non functional.  The shroud may lock the feet into recesses in the shelf.  They may have glued the Microwave feet down to the cabinet.  The other possibility is there maybe screws going up from above the range hood to hold the microwave in.  
then there is the gaps(wood conduits) in the cabinet. Most likely the gap contains the wires to control the generator and tank monitors.  All of these wires go through the wood conduits and eventually go down to the fresh water tank area  below the range and  lower cabinet, or to my generator on right front corner of the coach.

The top on/off switch, at the ceiling runs the vent fan mentioned above.  The monitoring system, then the Generator controls.   The Fresh Water tank area has the power converter,  water tank, and water pump.  I have a all of the 1988 Owners Manuals, issued in June 1988.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #3

This is what we are working with. The bottom isn't glued, but we can't get the micro out far enough to undo the screws because of that metal piece (it's too dark underneath to photograph the metal piece itself). We've only been able to remove the micro door so far (no worries, we aren't looking to replace it, just use the area for more storage).

It's like we would have to remove the wood underneath which would cause damage, which we are trying to avoid. I understand they built them to be forever, but they couldn't possibly think a microwave would last forever. Eventually it would need to be replaced, but they have made it near impossible to do so without damaging something...

We spent a good 4 hours on this yesterday. I even called Lazy Daze, but they were no help either. :(
Of all the roads you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt.
1989 MB

Reply #4

I keep thinking that LD somehow installed it. Doesn't mean you can remove it but I bet that LD, at the time it was built, had some way of removing it, knowledge that may have been lost over time.

If nothing else works, cut the vertical flange off, using a metal saw.  Finish removing the angle once the microwave is out.
Replacement aluminum angle, if wanted, is available at most home centers.

A hack saw blade, in a holder will work, with enough time.
Stanley Hand Tools 20-807 Mini-Hack Saw - Mini Hacksaw - Amazon.com

I would use an oscillating tool, with a metal cutting blade, or a pneumatic panel saw.
Rockwell RK5132K 3.5 Amp Sonicrafter F30 Oscillating Multi-Tool with 32...
An oscillating tool is a very handy tool with many uses in RV work.

A Dremel tool could be used with a metal cut-off  blade .
Dremel EZ456 1-1/2-Inch EZ Lock Rotary Tool Cut-Off Wheels for Metal, 5-Pack...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Mine came hole last night.
I will look and see what I can figure out.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath