Skip to main content
Topic: Sea Foam?? Good-Bad (Read 323 times) previous topic - next topic
Sea Foam?? Good-Bad
Hi Gang.
I'll be placing my 2002 LD in storage for the winter. My Onan Cummings 3000 generator will not be in use during this time.
I would like to treat the gas so my generator doesn't varnish up. I purchased 4 cans of Sea Foam from the local auto parts store.

Have any of you use Sea Foam for this purpose?? If so what is your opinion of this product?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
2002 30' IB

Re: Sea Foam?? Good-Bad
Reply #1

I'll be placing my 2002 LD in storage for the winter. My Onan Cummings 3000 generator will not be in use during this time.
I would like to treat the gas so my generator doesn't varnish up. I purchased 4 cans of Sea Foam from the local auto parts store.
Have any of you use Sea Foam for this purpose?? If so what is your opinion of this product?

Sea Foam is a general purpose oil and fuel solvent, made to clean dirty engine parts.
It works OK for cleaning fuel systems but for long-term storage, I would prefer to use a product made for this purpose such as Stab-Bil gas stabilizer.
It will protect all the fuel in the tank, generator and fuel system.

STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabilizer-Keep Fuel Fresh | Gold Eagle
Amazon.com: STABIL 22207 Fuel Stabilizer - 16 oz.: Automotive.
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/fogging-oil-and-fuel-stabilizer/sta-bil-sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/136365_0_0

After adding the chemical,  make sure to run the generator and to take a drive to distribute the product throughout the fuel system.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I love SeaFoam for what it is.

According to the internet, it repairs engines, slices, dices, fixes broken bones, adds 20% horsepower, reignites failed marriages and can potentially bring world peace.

I don't buy much of the hoopla but I keep it around for a number of purposes.

- Mixing with fuel for a device I don't use frequently but don't neglect, like a portable generator or even a motorcycle in winter months

- As a fuel additive after cleaning out a carburetor properly - it's not the first "go to" but after a serious mechanical fix and then follow up to help with any remaining crud

- Make a great starter fluid

- Can help with water in fuel issues

The area where old fuel turns into a major problem is when fuel evaporates its more volatile components and leaves it gooey residual - which can range from a texture of gel to a fully dried shellac that takes nuclear fission to remove.

What I would do is add stabil to the fuel, add an ounce of SF per gallon of fuel, and run the genny once a month to keep things moving anyway.
1996 Twin King

Reply #3
Seafoam isn't for storage but it cleans dirty carbs as advertised. When I bought my LD the generator was difficult to start and or keep running. Sea foam and two hours had it purring like a kitten and starting first time every time. I've let chainsaws sit to long and they refused to start so I just poured the stuff directly into the carb and pulled the rope a little to get it into the carb and let it set a while. Problem solved. Same thing with old lawnmowers and if something ever goes wrong with me I'll drink the stuff and live another decade or two.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #4
Hello Nadaze. I live in Arizona. But I run away from the heat in April and don't return until late Oct. early Nov. I keep a carbureted motorcycle and a fuel injected truck there (full time) inside my home's garage. It is common for them to sit 5-7 months in between "starts." Also, the temps during the summer rise to well above 110 ℉. When I return, both vehicles start within just a couple of engine revolutions. No problems at all. I usually use Stabil but also tried Sea Foam this year (in April). I was there just a couple of weeks ago and both machines started and ran perfectly. The motorcycle is more finicky than the truck due to the carburetor but I can get a better look inside the gas tank. The fuel was pristine. About 1/16th of it had evaporated but it was otherwise in good condition. No sludge. And to be more specific, I used Stabil on the bike and Sea Foam in the truck. They both claim to preserve the fuel. I believe it. You should not have any trouble with either product. As the other poster suggests, preferably have a nearly empty tank of gas, add the additive, then top off the fuel and run the gen and truck engine a few minutes/miles. Hope this helps :-)
-RdP->
On list for 2019 Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Hello Nadaze. I live in Arizona. But I run away from the heat in April and don't return until late Oct. early Nov. I keep a carbureted motorcycle and a fuel injected truck there (full time) inside my home's garage. It is common for them to sit 5-7 months in between "starts." Also, the temps during the summer rise to well above 110 ℉. When I return, both vehicles start within just a couple of engine revolutions. No problems at all. I usually use Stabil but also tried Sea Foam this year (in April). I was there just a couple of weeks ago and both machines started and ran perfectly. The motorcycle is more finicky than the truck due to the carburetor but I can get a better look inside the gas tank. The fuel was pristine. About 1/16th of it had evaporated but it was otherwise in good condition. No sludge. And to be more specific, I used Stabil on the bike and Sea Foam in the truck. They both claim to preserve the fuel. I believe it. You should not have any trouble with either product. As the other poster suggests, preferably have a nearly empty tank of gas, add the additive, then top off the fuel and run the gen and truck engine a few minutes/miles. Hope this helps :-)
Welcome to LDOF, verylazy. Do you have a Lazy Daze? If so, what year and model? I'd like to add it to your profile.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB