Skip to main content
Topic: Traveling with a dog advice needed (Read 621 times) previous topic - next topic
Traveling with a dog advice needed
We now have a little Shih-Tzu.
I am trying to figure out how to contain her outside.
Pens look cumbersome to us.
What about those long leashes on a stake?
We have a 4 foot diameter playpen we'll bring also but we are looking for more space for her.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

2021 Mid Bath

Re: Traveling with a dog advice needed
Reply #1

Congratulations on your new family member.

Perhaps something on this line?
They also come with doorways for a bit more.

or maybe  this

I've tried the cable and stake similar to this  with other, larger,  dogs.   They worked by I didn't really like using them for some reason I can no longer recall.

When we got a pomeranian puppy,  I was rehabbing from an achilles tendon tear.  I didn't have the mobility to chase her around when she was running free.   I put some 30# test line on a fishing pole with carabiner on the end.  I'd let her run around the campsite and reel her back in when she got to far.  Got some interesting comments from the other campers.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Personally I dislike having to restrain a dog, preferring to train him to stay within certain limits, but I am also aware that at times it is quite necessary. A couple of the items in the following link works well for me:

Dog It® Vinyl-Coated 10 ft. Tie-Out Cable - Walmart.com

I normally attach one end to the awning supports and daisy chain as many tethers as necessary. One caveat however, one time my Boston Terrier, Jiggs, got a running head start and when he hit the end of the line he actually broke one of the fittings and found himself free.   :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Just make sure it's not one of these dogs . . .
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4

We have a 1 year old 45 lb Standard Poodle that is very active.  I use a retractable lead to play fetch and also use that same lead tied to my tool box when I am working outside or reading.  When I go inside she (and the tool box) come in too. Note, for regular walks we only use a 6 foot leather lead.  She is good walking on the lead but is still an excitable pup.  The retractable lead gets hung up on fewer things.  We also bring along a soft crate that folds up close to flat and doesn't weigh all that much.  Ours also fits our 80 lb Standard Poodle who elected to move with our daughter when she went to grad school near the Shenandoah NP.  Such a crate for the Shih-Tzu would be much easier to pack.  These soft crates will not keep a determined dog in or other critters out, but if the dog is crate trained the pup can rest outside when your reading or relaxing under the awning. Ours is several years old, but I added a amazon link to one similar (if you use this link be sure to sign onto amazon going through this website's Amazon link so you can help defer costs)
John
Amazon.com : Dog Soft Crate 27 Inch Kennel for Pet Indoor Home & Outdoor Use...

Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #5
We use poultry netting and plasic fence post.
Pic from our pre LD trailer days.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #6
"Pic from our pre LD trailer days."

Wow, that looks like a twin to the HR I had! What year is it? I bought mine new in 1994 and sold it in 2004, it had the propane bottles recessed into the front with a cover. Nice rig.   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #7

Back to the dog question.
For our cockapoo these are things we use.
I really like this waterbowl. It travels really well, I keep it on top of a latex mat that keeps it from sliding but it doesn't spill and water is always available.

Pet Supplies : Lixit Waterboy Travel Water Bowl : Pet Travel Bowls : Amazon.com

We use a tie out for our girl, a quick clip on each end and we can hook her to almost anything,  cheap light rope, about 15 feet, and two clips like the ends of a leash.  Cheap, easy to replace.  She uses a tie out at home on a zip line so she is used to it.  There are too many critters (rabbits, chipmunks, white tail deer, etc.) in my yard and the spaniel in her tells her to chase it all, so to keep her safe at home she has her "hook" .   You can set up a zip line between two trees or anything else available, so your friend can have more freedom.  Just run the leash down from the overhead line and your pet can have more room to explore but still stay safe.

tlbh2o

Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #8

Speaking of water bowls, I am now on my 3rd iteration of the Buddy Bowl. These things are amazing. You cannot make them spill even to the point of turning them upside down. Fill them all the way up to the inner rim and sleep well knowing that your floor will stay dry even while underway. My boy Jiggs had one and now my buddy Cedar uses the smaller size. You can have them in 3 different capacities. One small caveat, they are a bit difficult to open.

Pet Supplies : Ray Allen BB1-NEU Buddy Bowl, 44 oz, Neutral : Amazon.com

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Depending on where and in which type of surroundings I'm camped, my dog may be snapped on a (roughly) 20' length of nylon rope, usually attached to the lower part of the rig ladder. That length allows her to move around, but not race off after some critter. However, she's never tied out when I'm not either in the motorhome or sitting outside; a tied-out pet without "supervision" (and/or unable to escape) can be very vulnerable to getting itself lashed up and possibly injured in the tie out, to being stolen, and/or to being attacked by another animal, e.g., a loose dog or a coyote.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
I've used a tether (the vinyl cover cable with snaps at both ends from Walmart) for the 4-Legged Alarm both at home & traveling.   The only problem is her tendency to get herself wound in/around whatever obstacles she can find (& she's very adept at that  ::) ).

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #11
"Pic from our pre LD trailer days."

Wow, that looks like a twin to the HR I had! What year is it? I bought mine new in 1994 and sold it in 2004, it had the propane bottles recessed into the front with a cover. Nice rig.   ;D
Ours was a 94 too. Fantastic trailer and it killed me to sell it but the trailer thing just didn't work for us. Too many places we couldn't go and too many campgrounds we didn't fit in. Has to be one of the best trailers ever made though and I wish I could have kept it just cuz.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #12
If I can ask you to bare with me a minute for a longer speech I have something you might consider if it will work in your situation.  We usually use a retractable with a carabiner on the most convient non moving thing but we were in Colorado at a mountain campground and a lady was walking her two big mean dogs and she was about 78 and about 90# soaking wet.  she had no control an the dogs ran at our corgi and drug the lady about 20 ft down a hill on her face to get to our dog.  As luck would have it the corgi was quick enough to dart into the camper and the wife was able to intercept the dogs.  IT could have been a real bad thing, corgis are not real big as is your dog.  Point is if were able we put up a porta fence to keep out as much as keep in  .   sometimes it is not practical but there worth a million bucks if your in a place you need one.  They fold up and stow away very easily even on top if need be.
Oh and about not restraining your pups it is a wonderful way to have then but now days in most places they dont care how well behaved your dogs are there are laws that require it. 
Best to you all
jim and esther
2005 Front Lounge

Reply #13
"...but now days in most places they dont care how well behaved your dogs are there are laws that require it."

Quite true Esther, but how well are they enforced?   :-X   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #14
I find a well trained dog rarely attracts enough attention for “dog rules” to be applied.   Ours is off leash almost always everywhere we camp, haven’t had any issues thus far.
2000 RB

Reply #15
Your attitude is unfair for every dog owner who follows the rules and leashes their dog(s).  Everybody thinks his dog is "well trained", but lets face it, a dog is a dog, and even a "well trained" one still has dog instincts.  We all would love to let our dogs off the leash, but unless in a "off leash" area where all can do it legally, please don't think you have the only "well trained" dog.

Rich - owner of a well trained Golden Retriever who still believes in leashing him to be fair to other dog owners.
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #16
Rich, not only fair to other dog owners but fair to ALL others in your space. It is a privilege to travel with your pet in populated areas, not a right. By disregarding leash laws you put in danger the tolerance of non dog people. If you travel with a pet you need to consider those folks who may be afraid, or allergic, or suffering from a low immune system. Your dog may be perfect but circumstances rarely are, If you do not want to have your dog leashed you probably should not venture to places where a leash is required. I have traveled with dogs extensively and as my dog is a "necessity" I cringe when I pass a dog untethered as the investment in my dog is substantial. Yes, my dog is well trained. No, I cannot control the environment where we must go but I must do my part to make EVERYONE "safe" and "unafraid".
I have seen "bad" things happen with unleashed dogs.

2005 RK

Reply #17
Everyone’s entitled to their own dog preferences, that being said the animal I’ve raised isn’t on a leash in a campsite.

My dog isn’t perfect, neither are most people’s children. I understand most places prefer a dog on a leash, But then again I’ve never been asked to put my dog on a constraint by any rangers/staff or neighbors.  I understand why these rules exist and I work hard to be mindful of my neighbors and their preferences about my animal but if they are concerned they can tell me and I’d be glad to leash her up. I’m simply stating that it’s never been an issue.   My dogs only job and responsibility in this whole world is behaving around various distractions and if she’s doing her job i doubt many mind the fact she’s off leash.
2000 RB

Reply #18
I'm a bad dog owner.  Their most common responses to command are 'ignore' and 'disregard'.  For the most part they are leashed when around others, reliability is intermittent. Two are damaged rescues that do not do well in training regimens.  ::)
They might entice your well behaved dog into less than stellar behaviors.
They still have forever homes.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #19
I realize this won't change any minds but I wanted to offer a perspective.

First I should say that Gayle and I pretty much love all animals. We have volunteered at pet shelters around the country as we have traveled the past 10 years. I've cared for dogs and cats at these places. My natural inclination is to reach out to pet a dog if it approaches without aggression.

Many, many years ago when I was a small child in a small town I was petting a collie when it jumped and bit me in the face. I ended up getting the series of rabies shots in the abdomen following that experience. Fifteen years ago we were riding mountain bikes on a dirt road near a small town when a pack of 6 dogs acting like they wanted to kill us left their yard and chased us down the road with no owners in site. Somewhere in that same time period, Gayle was riding a road bike a block from our house in a subdivision when two good sized dogs ran across in front of her and one struck her front wheel taking her down. A few years ago we were walking the river trail bordering the Uncompahgre river that runs through the town of Ouray, CO. A few houses bordered the trail. As we were standing on the trail a small dog approached us from one of the houses. It walked up to me and as I leaned over intending to pet him he jumped up and bit my knee causing a bloody wound. He never barked or growled. I ended up with a minor infection despite treating it myself but was, fortunately, able to remedy it myself.

There are other instances where we have been chased by dogs when we have been biking roads. All of this hasn't really changed my tendency to pet animals that approach me and appear friendly although I am more cautious. It has left Gayle leery of any dog that approaches unless it shows obvious signs of being good natured. I can't tell you the number of times we have been approached by off-leash dogs while walking and hiking who appeared very aggressive only to be told by the owner not to worry he won't bite. Needless to say, we don't take them at their word.

When camping near people we don't know we don't want to make an issue of it with owners as you never know how people will react. If it works as well as asking them to make a little less noise after quiet hours I prefer not to do so. In my view, I appreciate an owner who asks us if we have a problem with the dog being off leash but that almost never happens.

It isn't fun for my wife being made afraid of a strange animal and almost without exception the owners of the seemingly aggressive dogs never physically restrain them when it appears that they want to bite you. They just offer assurances that they are friendly despite appearances. We just finished a walk in a small town during which she wanted to turn around due to a large dog that was running towards us barking in his yard but not restrained from coming on the road. The owner who was a good 100 feet away simply yelled at him several times and made no move towards him. We turned around.

The end result of all this is that we like animals more than humans most of the time since the problem is generally with the humans.

As Joan would say, YMMV.

Jim

Reply #20
I’m always surprised how foul a dog can act while owners smile and pretend the negative behavior is “normal” and acceptable. 
2000 RB

Reply #21
We have lived and traveled for the past 38 years with German Shepherds.  They are intelligent, loved family members and go everywhere we go.  However, not all people love our dogs as much as we do and the dogs react very differently from one person to a different person.  Although our dogs respond to verbal commands, when we are camping and traveling, they are on a restraint.
When our dogs are inside the vehicle they are usually on a settee and looking out the windows, sleeping,  or mooching snacks as we drive. When they are outside they are on a leash.  If we are otherwise occupied around camp, the dog is on a ten-foot steel cable, long enough to move around, but short enough that they can't stray beyond our immediate area.
Everyone seems to think that their dog is well behaved and safe around people, but I have been bitten by "safe and friendly" dogs, and more often than not, by small dogs. On the other hand, my wife was attacked while walking our shepherd, on a leash, by a pitbull that pulled out of its collar.  The owner's response was that it was the first time it ever happened and it is usually friendly to other dogs and strangers.  My wife had to go to surgery to have the broken bones in her fingers pinned back together.
I keep my dog under control for the safety and comfort of my neighbors. I wish parents would reciprocate and do the same with their children.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #22
I realize this won't change any minds but I wanted to offer a perspective.

Fifteen years ago we were riding mountain bikes on a dirt road near a small town when a pack of 6 dogs acting like they wanted to kill us left their yard and chased us down the road with no owners in site. Somewhere in that same time period, Gayle was riding a road bike a block from our house in a subdivision when two good sized dogs ran across in front of her and one struck her front wheel taking her down. A few years ago we were walking the river trail bordering the Uncompahgre river that runs through the town of Ouray, CO. A few houses bordered the trail. As we were standing on the trail a small dog approached us from one of the houses. It walked up to me and as I leaned over intending to pet him he jumped up and bit my knee causing a bloody wound. He never barked or growled. I ended up with a minor infection despite treating it myself but was, fortunately, able to remedy it myself.

There are other instances where we have been chased by dogs when we have been biking roads. All of this hasn't really changed my tendency to pet animals that approach me and appear friendly although I am more cautious. It has left Gayle leery of any dog that approaches unless it shows obvious signs of being good natured. I can't tell you the number of times we have been approached by off-leash dogs while walking and hiking who appeared very aggressive only to be told by the owner not to worry he won't bite. Needless to say, we don't take them at their word.

Jim

I started carrying a small pistol while biking along rural roads like this because of the same type of things happening with dogs. I'm the world's biggest dog lover but if one attacks me or my wife while biking I will most certainly put a bullet in it's head. So far there has not been the need and we have peddled away unmolested but you do here about people being viciously attacked by two or more dogs and I'm prepared if that ever happens

Reply #23
Although we are typically armed when we travel, I would recommend a can of bear spray for defense against dogs, et.al.  In the heat of the moment, it is a lot easier to deter an animal (or a human) with a fog of bear spray than with a bullet.  The legal consequences are less severe as well.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #24
it is a lot easier to deter an animal (or a human) with a fog of bear spray than with a bullet. 
And you don't have to worry as much about the space beyond the dog.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke