Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic Refrigerator (RM3762) Cooling Unit Failure Options (Read 544 times) previous topic - next topic
Dometic Refrigerator (RM3762) Cooling Unit Failure Options
Looks like the cooling unit has failed (Dometic RM3762) in our Lazy Daze.  Since this unit is new to me, I want to replace with a quality unit.  I've ready extremely positive comments about the Dutch Aire aka Amish made by JC Refrigeration.   

We have two options and I'll paste their email below.  1 is their upgraded propane / electric unit similar to the Dometic but heavier duty.  OR All electric with possible AC or DC.  Basically converts your existing unit to a residential unit.

We are unsure of how much boondocking we will actually do probably not more than a few days at a time.  We have 300 watts and 2 deep cycle batteries.  The electric one seems to be fairly low amp draw so I'm thinking it would work with the solar recharging the batteries plus maybe an hour generator or so every other day ?

Both options are around $650 plus $150 install....

Has anyone done this or had any experience with this company or products?

Products | JC Refrigeration

OPTIONS FOR 2852 – 2652 series refrigerators
Replaces RM 2852 RM2853 RM4872 RM3862 RM3863 RM4873 RM2652 RM2653 RM3662 RM 4672
RM4673 NDR1062

#1 the new cooling unit option:

Converts your existing fridge to a residential fridge,  (which eliminates your Ammonia system and LP Gas) this cooling unit is built with a compressor system and not only do you get to keep your same fridge and controls you are used to but there is no need to remove the windshield or window to get the old fridge out and the new in nor the hassle of cutting or redoing the cabinets to make a new fridge fit. There is also no need to have your coach level anymore for the fridge, since this unit will have a compressor. It pulls .08 Amp on a AC compressor or 5A on a 12V compressor and will run off a 600W inverter for AC (does not require pure sign wave) or run it on your 12V house Battery. This cooling unit is designed to withstand hot humid temps and will keep your ice-cream hard. This unit comes with a 3 year warranty with an additional 3 year option for $75, and is very user friendly to work on in the field should it need it down the road.  we can ship to you,see our easy to install video or have it factory installed for $150………………

AC Compressor  $ 595.00
DC Compressor $795.00 

* there is always the question of how much power it really takes or how long the battery will last on a charge........ you need to multiply your amp hr on your battery by how many batteries then multiply by 60% for amps available, then divide by either 8 for the AC compressor or 5.5 for the DC Compressor

Example:    4 batteries at  225 A hr      (these hrs are subject to amb temp an usage)
                                                x  4                   
                                                900 amps total         
                                                x60%
                                                540 available Amps
                                                / 5.5 amp draw DC
                                                98 hrs of run time
                                                50% average run time
                                                147 hrs of available run time

#2 – regular gas/elect Hyd charged unit 
upgraded with a faster boiler design with thicker tubing for leak prevention which will bring you years of cold refrigeration and hassle free camping.This unit will still have the LP Gas function and is used largely for weeks of dry camping. Meaning it will withstand hot humid conditions and your ice cream will be rock hard for the first time.………… we can ship to you for a easy to install for the DIYs (see our install video) or have it factory installed for $150

3 warranty  with an optional 3 year for $75………………. 
Gas / elect  $650.00 

2003 Lazy Daze 26.5 MidBath
Professional Virtual Tour Photographers

Re: Dometic Refrigerator (RM3762) Cooling Unit Failure Options
Reply #1
I have no experience with this company, but I'm surprised that the refrigerator in your 2003 MB is an RM3762; I thought that 23.5' and 26.5' refrigerators of that year were 6 CF RM2662 models?

Anyway, just my take on this question: Having an all-electric refrigerator in an RV would be very limiting, IMO; you would always be dependent on needing AC power from a hookup or from running the generator. Maybe this constraint would work for you, but since you state that you haven't taken your "maiden voyage" yet, choosing an "electric only" power source option could be premature.

I wouldn't replace the cooling unit; I'd replace the refrigerator with the same or appropriate replacement model, installing the thing correctly and insulating the hole.

http://w2.distone.com/bradstrailer/downloads/RefrigeratorReplacement.pdf

Dometic Americana Plus DM 2662 | Dometic

Reinstalling refrigerator | Flickr

(I'd also keep any "innards", i.e., bins, from the old refrigerator and make sure that a door panel is included withe the new refrigerator.

I understand that replacing the refrigerator and insulating the box costs more, and that may be a deal-breaker. At the least, I suggest carefully considering the limitations of an all-electric cooling unit.

As always, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
I have no experience with this company, but I'm surprised that the refrigerator in your 2003 MB is an RM3762; I thought that 23.5' and 26.5' refrigerators of that year were 6 CF RM2662 models?

Original was replaced by previous owner 8 years ago.

Anyway, just my take on this question: Having an all-electric refrigerator in an RV would be very limiting, IMO; you would always be dependent on needing AC power from a hookup or from running the generator. Maybe this constraint would work for you, but since you state that you haven't taken your "maiden voyage" yet, choosing an "electric only" power source option could be premature.

You can run on batteries with an inverter(at least 600 watts) is my understanding so boondocking is still an option from my limited understanding.

I wouldn't replace the cooling unit; I'd replace the refrigerator with the same or appropriate replacement model, installing the thing correctly and insulating the hole.

http://w2.distone.com/bradstrailer/downloads/RefrigeratorReplacement.pdf

Dometic Americana Plus DM 2662 | Dometic

Reinstalling refrigerator | Flickr

(I'd also keep any "innards", i.e., bins, from the old refrigerator and make sure that a door panel is included withe the new refrigerator.

I understand that replacing the refrigerator and insulating the box costs more, and that may be a deal-breaker. At the least, I suggest carefully considering the limitations of an all-electric cooling unit.

I appreciate your thoughts and will carefully consider.  There is both an AC and DC option for the compressor and it can draw as little as 1 amp on the batteries.  We have 2 deep cycle batteries and 300 watts of solar so it keeps Boondocking with solar/batteries and option but most likely with a little generator supplement when needed.  

As always, YMMV.

Reply #3
Hi Jvandore;  You've confirmed that your refrigerator is only 8 years old as I was writing this.  The rear windows and the window at the dinette are big enough to pass the refrigerator through the open window. No window removal needed. It's been reported here that two people and a protective blanket on the window frame make that maneuver much easier.

About that battery calculation. The deep cycle, 6 volt batteries are about 62 pounds each, not counting support structure. For 225 watt hours at 12 v. , you need two. 900 watt hours in your calculation would require 8 batteries at about 500 pounds. Squeezing them in somewhere might be quite the challenge. With an upgraded 4 stage charging converter a generator could  probably keep your refrigerator cool on an hour run time per day, with four battery banks in parallel. The Watt Imperium fuel cell at a silent 500 watts would be a better choice than all of those batteries.
  So that leaves you with a new cooling unit option. See recent comments by ' Tedeboy' about his recent change out of his cooling unit.

When you bought your 'new to you' MidBath, did the seller say that you needed a new refrigerator? How sure are you that the cooling unit really is bad, or are you just having trouble lighting it. If the gas has been off for quite awhile, air will infiltrate the plumbing in the motorhome back to the valve. It can take a long time to get gas up to the refrigerator's burner before it will ignite correctly, and then cooling the fridge to operating temperature can take as long as a day or so. An eight year old refrigerator should still be working ok. Running the 'fridge on AC could show that the cooling unit is still working.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Hi Jvandore;  You've confirmed that your refrigerator is only 8 years old as I was writing this.  The rear windows and the window at the dinette are big enough to pass the refrigerator through the open window. No window removal needed. It's been reported here that two people and a protective blanket on the window frame make that maneuver much easier.

About that battery calculation. The deep cycle, 6 volt batteries are about 62 pounds each, not counting support structure. For 225 watt hours at 12 v. , you need two. 900 watt hours in your calculation would require 8 batteries at about 500 pounds. Squeezing them in somewhere might be quite the challenge. With an upgraded 4 stage charging converter a generator could  probably keep your refrigerator cool on an hour run time per day, with four battery banks in parallel. The Watt Imperium fuel cell at a silent 500 watts would be a better choice than all of those batteries.
  So that leaves you with a new cooling unit option. See recent comments by ' Tedeboy' about his recent change out of his cooling unit.
    When you bought your 'new to you' MidBath, did the seller say that you needed a new refrigerator?

I will check out his post.  No, my son purchased last year and it worked fine for a few months.   He smelled ammonia and it stopped cooling.   Ran diagnostics with no error codes.   Confirmed it lights up fine and it just gets very hot.   Same results whether AC or Propane.

RV Mobile Tech said he was pretty sure it was the cooling unit.  We were just not ready to make the repair at the time.  I ran it for 4 hours on propane and temperature did not change but the box got very hot.   Let me try AC for 24 hours before we jump into the deep end.

How sure are you that the cooling unit really is bad, or are you just having trouble lighting it. If the gas has been off for quite awhile, air will infiltrate the plumbing in the motorhome back to the valve. It can take a long time to get gas up to the refrigerator's burner before it will ignite correctly, and then cooling the fridge to operating temperature can take as long as a day or so. An eight year old refrigerator should still be working ok. Running the 'fridge on AC could show that the cooling unit is still working.    RonB

Reply #6
Hi John and Cindy. That smell of ammonia is pretty telltale of a cooling unit leak. Some yellow powder residue should be present near the leak. I think you are past trying to get it to work on AC power.  If I were you, I would replace the cooling unit with a standard propane unit, although I didn't see the RM3762 unit listed in the header.
  The newer units don't require it being as level as the older ones from what I hear ( the one I have is still running well ) but the attraction of a Freon powered one is there. I think the larger coaches, class 'A' in the 32' to 40' range with higher GVWR's are better candidates for battery operation of electric refrigerators.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
"I didn't see the RM3762 unit listed in the header."
----
Ron, I believe that the RM3762 has been discontinued.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8

"I appreciate your thoughts and will carefully consider.  There is both an AC and DC option for the compressor and it can draw as little as 1 amp on the batteries.  We have 2 deep cycle batteries and 300 watts of solar so it keeps Boondocking with solar/batteries and option but most likely with a little generator supplement when needed. "

You have overestimated the power available from the solar panels and the underestimated  the possible consumption of  battery power.
Solar panels never deliver their rated output except for an hour or two a day, in the summer when the sun is directly overhead.
In the winter, when the sun is low and days are short, you will never have adequate solar.
300-watts is enough for most LD users for their summertime lighting and electronics needs but not for the additional load of a compressor refrigerator.

I suggest a minimum of 600-watts of solar and the addition of two more deep cycle batteries, to help cover the days when the sun doesn't shine. Upgrading to a larger more efficient converter will help reduce generator run time during the winter and during cloudy or rainy weather.
It would be a lot cheaper to rebuild your old Dometic with a new cooling unit and then learn the ropes.
Upgrading the electrical system to power a compressor refrigerator will be costly and can still leave you short of electrical and cooling power without a lot of planning and analysis of your personal electrical needs..which you do not have any personal RVing experience.  It's a lot of money to put into a 15 year old RV.

It's hard to duplicate the simplicity, efficiency and ease of operation of an absorption refrigerator.
Compressor refrigerators are becoming more popular, mostly seen in higher end RVs, which spend much of their time in parks with electric hookups. Installing one in a LD will require a costly electrical system upgrade, if you want near foolproof system.
FYI, frequent battery discharging to the 60% point will shorten the batteries life.

Mess up the electrical calculations and you will be running the generator a lot more than what you want or intended.
Myself, I prefer to never rely on the  generator, hating to listen to ours or anyone else's generator .

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Just a thought: I have no experience with this company, and don't know how far away from your location it is in AR, but it might be worth checking out?

RVCOOL.COM - Supplier of replacement Cooling Units for Norcold and Dometic...

Talked to the owner and he can do it for about the same price as JC Refrigeration.   They build both new and also do remanufacturing as well.  We'll go new when its time.   He's only about 1.5 hours which would work out very well.  More to come.

Reply #10
I got my unit at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse .  Worked great.

Check out the posts by tedeboy too as a recent repair. The job is doable but detail oriented.

1996 Twin King

Reply #11
You have overestimated the power available from the solar panels

Solar panel ratings are measured at 1 sun (similar to noon at the equator) and temperature controlled to 'room temperature', typically about 72 F. You will never see this performance in the field. My advice when doing a power budget is to find information on real-life amp-hr production on any solar panels, then scale the results to what you have, and under the typical conditions where you expect to camp. If depending on generator supplementation, then you will need a multi-stage converter with a bulk-charge mode.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #12
I got my unit at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse .  Worked great.

Check out the posts by tedeboy too as a recent repair. The job is doable but detail oriented.

Did you DIY the install or hire a tech?   Most are wanting $400 - $500 for changing out the cooling unit...They guys at the Amish unit factory do it for $150 and it takes usually 2 hours or less.    In negotiations now with a shop...lol before I press on..

Reply #13
I did it myself but if the job including R&R of the fridge is $150 that's the biggest no brainer in history. The job for a first timer like me is 6-8 hours. I did the replacement of the cooling unit in the RV - not removing through a window or otherwise.

It's like painting - most of the work in painting is prep and cleanup - not the actual painting.

Lazy Daze uses that physics-defying antimatter goo to hold the fridge in - have fun removing that :-)

1996 Twin King

Reply #14
Yep, I did it, too. I'd rather go to the dentist. Took me a week with a lot of belly scratching time. The vendor is gonna lose removing a fridge from an LD for $150. In addition to the sealant LD uses bolts, not lag screws. The spec calls for 6 front face screws. I think LD used 10. The main problem is the lack of interior space to move it around and work on it after you get it out.
Two people required at various stages.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #15
RVCOOL.COM - Supplier of replacement Cooling Units for Norcold and Dometic...
[/quote]

I recently used them to rebuild our Dometic frig, It's 20 years old and this is the second time it's been rebuilt by them. They did it this time for the cost of shipping. That's customer service. If you use the frig a lot, they only last about 10 years. The guys in Arkansas do a great job rebuilding the cooling unit and even provide a video on their web site to show you how to remove and reinstall the cooling unit.
I just laid the whole frig face down in the living room on couple 2x4s and did the repair inside the coach.

Reply #17
Thanks for all the great comments...very helpful..

John

Reply #19
We went with a unit form RV Cool and so far works great.   The other company you mentioned has huge lawsuits by the AG so stay clear.   Wick at RV Cool ships around the country or they will put it in for you (for a fee) if you come by the shop.