Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for boondocking in central Utah and Moab area?  (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic
Looking for boondocking in central Utah and Moab area?
Looking for boondocking in central Utah and Moab area?  WE will be in central Utah for about a week or more and would love some advice but we will be accessing that area in our 98~MB so we would like to avoid supper long washboard roads.  We will be hiking and biking.

Thanks

Karen~Liam
             98 ~ MB
               NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Re: Looking for boondocking in central Utah and Moab area?
Reply #1
As you are approaching Moab from the north, just after you cross the Colorado, there is a road to the left that follows the river upstream.  I know there are camping areas there, but I have never used them.  Every time I looked they were full.  I tend to stay about 9 miles south of Moab, a mile off the highway, at a public campground called Ken's Lake.  No hookups, but quiet, and good access for hiking and biking.  There are two upper campgrounds and one lower campground.  My tail drags every time I have gone to the lower one.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #2
We've stayed off Willow Springs Rd, a very popular dispersed camping area, and Klondike Rd, which is farther from Moab and less crowded. The good thing about Klondike is you are close to the trails and can ride your bike to them if you wish. We've also stayed at Ken's Lake which is a decent campground with great views and a trail. Check out Campendium for other boondocking sites in Utah.

Gayle

Reply #3
Thanks Ken and Jim, we just got into reception here now in the SLC area.  We are heading out tonight or tomorrow to check it out..

Karen~Liam
                98 ~ MB
                   NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags