Skip to main content
Topic: Storage Compartment Latch/Catch (Read 148 times) previous topic - next topic
Storage Compartment Latch/Catch

One of the outside clips that holds up a storage compartment door has lost its spring and presumably needs to be replaced as it constantly pops up when the door is locked.  Is this what I should buy for a replacement:  Amazon.com: 5 Pack RV Stainless Steel Baggage Door Catch Square: Automotive  Should I apply some type of sealant to the back of the new clip and/or the screws before installing?
Thanks,
Paul

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Re: Storage Compartment Clip
Reply #1
Those compartment door "keeps" are standard, I believe. I would just remove the old catch, clean the surface, and shoot 5200 or polyurethane sealant into the screw holes before attaching the keep using the original screws. As long as the screw holes are sealed, I don't see a need to "bed" the keep's rubber backing in sealant.

As ever, YMMV.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Storage Compartment Clip
Reply #2
Good find. The ones from the Mothership have a double-sided sticky strip on the back. It keeps the metal off the paint, I guess. And together with the bolts ensures the clip will stay fastened if at ground zero of a nuclear blast.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Storage Compartment Latch/Catch
Reply #3
I used new clips just like that. The VHB double sided tape makes a good new pad up against the motorhome. I used new stainless screws for mounting. The ones I bought, the springs weren't stainless and do rust. It's hard to make good springs that are also stainless. Of course they could have been plated, but the stretching of a spring gives you cracks in the plating anyway. I just put a dab of grease over the spring, which helps a little.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB