Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing cab carpet (Read 475 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing cab carpet
Hi,
We are starting to work on replacing the carpet in our LD (89 TK).  G30 chassis, not Ford.

I knew carpet helped reduce engine noise from the doghouse.  I read previous posts that also talked about it helping with insulation (including from engine heat in the doghouse) and that insulating the floor can also help reduce noise.  One person installed a new doghouse cover that helped reduce noise.

Our G30 chassis I bet has the same issue of lumpy not smooth surfaces in the cab area.
And I am guessing that people had to remove the seats to get a good install (they remove reasonably easy, right ???).

Ideally we would love something easy to clean (e.g. think rubber/vinyl sheets).  Maybe with something underneath for sound/temperature insulation.  But that might be dreaming rather than reality.

The posts were older, any new ideas on the best way to replace the cab carpet?

Do people glue it down or leave it free floating?

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Re: Replacing cab carpet
Reply #1
If you remove the old carpeting, I HIGHLY recommend replacing it with NEW heat-resistant insulation and carpeting. Heat from the exhaust is very high under the G-30 cab, and without the insulation will probably melt vinyl after a long drive in the summer.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Steve is there specific heat resistant insulation to use?  I figure indoor outdoor carpet is easiest to keep clean but we are still at the thinking stage.
Jane

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Jane & Scott

We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
JandS2, I am trying to think thru the same thing. The insulation nowadays is much better then 30-40 years ago I would imagine. I have seen carpet pre cut for my 1984 LD on ebay so I would assume yours would be on there too. Lots of different colors to choose from. I am not sure of the quality though and like you, I really would like something that could be wiped down with bleach and water and a paper towel but do not see that happening with carpeting...
1984 Chevy 30 TK Hotel California

Reply #4
I took a quick look on amazon and tons of heat resistant insulation for a variety of purposes.

Yeah wiping carpet with bleach probably would not work.

Ken, in the archives, had pictures of his floor redo - he had carpet with the vynal patch for feet to rest on - drivers side and put a floorMat over it.

I was hoping he would respond with what he did.

I will have to do some searching and see what others have done.

Jane

Jane & Scott

Reply #5
I am pulling the carpet out of the house part too. I am thinking a liner of foil bubble stuff and a sound proofing material for the bottom liner before installing flooring over that. For the flooring in the house I am thinking maybe sheet vinyl as there seems to be a boat load of problems with plank. I am only concerned about off gassing though ugh. But I am not going back to carpet without kicking and screaming. For the cab area though, (because of endless bumps and dings from what I hear) I will stay with a high quality similar color as the vinyl flooring. Question, does it have to be a carpet kit or can it be another carpet that is cut and fitted by a pro?

Reply #6
Teresa,

I would have some concerns about the foil bubbles for installation.
You want a reasonably flat surface to put your flooring on or it creates another set of problems.
While you could put another piece of plywood on top you just raised the floor up an inch or so which creates other problems.

You said "there seems to be a boat load of problems with plank" - I read about the bolts sticking up (they are not that bad in our coach - the underpayment on the planks probably would take care of that.
And I saw at Home Depot there are several brands now that are 100% waterproof.

With planks (vynal ones or non vynal ones), you could put an underlayment type product on it for insulation - sound and thermal, then the floor over it. Silicon at the edges (to make those areas waterproof while allowing for expansion and contraction) and trim just above the silicon - for looks.
I plan to go that way for the non cab area.

My experience is in house remodeling, but I have read of several people who used the planks - just resolving the LD bolt issue (different ways to do this).

Jane

Jane & Scott

Reply #7
Jane thank you. I have laid the tongue and grove laminate planks in my own home. They are fairly easy to do. I live in a doublewide mobile home and found the underlayment to hide the sins of the middle seams in the doublewide. The planks in my home are awesome! However, my home is air conditioned and heated year around. I have read with RVs that when left outside in hot weather or when it gets cold, that the expansion and contraction causes buckling and gaps. I do live in the high desert and it can be 65 degrees during the day and well below freezing at night in the winter, plus summertime is normally triple digits even over 115 degees! I would love to do the planks if you dont think the weather would be too extreme?

Reply #8
One of the rules ok RVing since your mobile you get to stay always wear the weather is nice. Not too hot not too cold.

The floor should be one solid piece what it's all locked in the place. So as long as you have a Knouff room for expansion and contraction between the walls and the floor it should be OK.

I have not personally seen an installation in an RV, but there are several people on this board that have installed it. You might l search for floor replacement and see if you can contact them.

Jane & Scott

Reply #9
Hi Jands2 and Teresa,

As suggested I would be very careful about what carpet you choose for the cab.  Pre-made to fit around the dog house would be my choice.  In the long run it will be the best value.  Easy to install and best insulation and sound reducer.  For the house there are lots of choices out there.  We put sheet vinyl down, others have used planks.  There are very few bolts through the floor that have to be worked around.  There are 100% vinyl click lock planks on the market.  We have used them in some other projects.  You could hollow out the bottom of the plank over the few bolts that you encounter.   I put a link below to another thread about flooring in our LD's.

Just an FYI
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.