Skip to main content
Topic: Removing Headlight "Fog" - New Headlight Assembly (Read 756 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing Headlight "Fog" - New Headlight Assembly
First allow me to say that I understand that a good many RV and LD owners believe that trying to cleanup the "fog" on headlights is a waste of time.  And maybe it is.  Nevertheless, I wasted some of my time over the last 3 days cleaning up our headlights.  New headlights are not in the budget right now.

I used a polishing compound that is reported to be equal to 3000 grit sandpaper.  I did two (2) treatments of polishing compound by hand over the course of 2 days.  By my count, I did more than 1000 polishing motions on each headlight.  At the end of day 2, I cleaned the headlights with vinegar.  On day 3, I applied two (2) coats of synthetic wax.  Now we'll just see how the headlights hold up over the next few months.

Re: Removing Headlight "Fog"
Reply #1
Headlights look like new!
2010 MB

Reply #2
Ed,

They look fantastic. Great job.

I’ve polished the headlights on my sedan a few times and they look great for several months. The cost of the polishing kit is almost as much as one head light replacement from Rock Auto.

I understand budget constraints and this was my reason for doing my headlights as a DIY project. Next time, however, I’ll give Rock Auto my money. Hopefully the result will last longer than my elbow grease does.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
First allow me to say that I understand that a good many RV and LD owners believe that trying to cleanup the "fog" on headlights is a waste of time.  And maybe it is.  Nevertheless, I wasted some of my time over the last 3 days cleaning up our headlights.  New headlights are not in the budget right now.

I used a polishing compound that is reported to be equal to 3000 grit sandpaper.  I did two (2) treatments of polishing compound by hand over the course of 2 days.  By my count, I did more than 1000 polishing motions on each headlight.  At the end of day 2, I cleaned the headlights with vinegar.  On day 3, I applied two (2) coats of synthetic wax.  Now we'll just see how the headlights hold up over the next few months.

Ed, is the polishing compound a brand name or did you concoct it yourself? Headlights look great.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4

When the headlight refinishing kits first came out, I tried several of them, on my own and friend cars and LDs.
The headlights look great to begin with but will start to yellow within months, when exposed to sunlight..
When manufactured, the lens is coated with a thin ultraviolet resistant coating.  With the passage of time, the coating breaks down and deteriorates, turning a hazy yellow. Polishing removes the yellowed coating, exposing the sunlight sensitive plastic lens.
It can be cleaned again but repeated polishing distorts the surface and reduces the focusing .
None of the kits I tried included an ultraviolet replacement coating, just polish.

New headlights are not too expensive and the refinishing kits are not free. $60 buys a new pair.
Our 2003 LD's original's headlights were replaced four years ago with these..
Amazon.com: TYC 20-3074-90 Ford Econoline Passenger Side Headlight Assembly:...
Amazon.com: TYC 20-3075-90 Ford Econoline Driver Side Headlight Assembly:...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Amazon.com: TYC 20-3074-90 Ford Econoline Passenger Side Headlight Assembly:...
Amazon.com: TYC 20-3075-90 Ford Econoline Driver Side Headlight Assembly:...

The headlights that I found for a 2009 were much more expensive than those mentioned above.  For example -

Amazon.com: OE Replacement Headlight Combination Assembly FORD VAN FORD...

I'd be quite happy if I found lights at the price mentioned above and would buy straight away.

Btw Chris H., the polishing compound was made by Turtle. 

Amazon.com: Turtle Wax T-415 Premium Grade Rubbing Compound - 18 oz.: Automotive  .

Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Re: Removing Headlight "Fog" - New Headlight Assembly
Reply #6
Oh, you have the oversize 'macho' lights, another one of Ford's 'better ideas'.
I can see why you decide to try polishing.
My best suggestion is to fully cover the headlights, when not in use, not exposing them to the sun.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7

My best suggestion is to fully cover the headlights, when not in use, not exposing them to the sun.

Larry

😎😎.   Guess living in the PNW overdoseing on sun isn't going to be an issue.  

BTW at the moment sitting in Riverside RV park in North Little Rock...... Lots of that big ugly yellow thing in the sky beating down on us.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #8
I get a big kick out of Scotty Kilmer. Here’s a video he produced on headlight fogging.

https://youtu.be/E9NP0_nF2ak

So now you know.

Kent

Reply #10
Not a bad idea...me too. 😎

Kent

Reply #11
Can't hurt to try
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #12
It impresses me how often I learn stuff from Larry's posts!  I had no idea about UV protection on the lenses.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #13
I had no idea about UV protection on the lenses.

When sanding the yellowed layer off, you can watch the thin coating disappear, exposing the clear plastic below.
Headlight lens are precision cast and have a very smooth surface. The sanding and polishing process cannot maintain the same precision surface.
The first polishing usually works OK but the second and subsequent polishings degrade the focusing.
Polishing my wife's Acura the first time caused the sharp cutoff line to get fuzzy and it was eliminated after the second polishing.
The $800 cost to replace the headlights was one of the reasons why we traded it in.

There isn't much to be done to prevent the foggy or yellowing of headlights other than keeping them away from sunlight .
Waxing doesn't seem to have a positive effect other than making them easier to clean.
For long term storage, fabricating vinyl covers may be something to consider .

Larry
Larry

Reply #14
Rather than waste $35 on a headlight polishing kit I spent $60 to replace both headlight assemblies on my ‘02 Toyota Sequoia.

In about half the time it would have taken me to polish the headlights, I had the new set installed (by myself) with only a few simple tools.

I also purchased the Meguiar’s Headlight Coating for the Sequoia. I will be treating the LD headlights in the morning.

Total out of pocket was about $70 for everything. A perfect DIY project. The Meguiars can be used yearly to protect the headlights. Hopefully this will be the answer to all my headlight troubles.

Not all headlight replacements will be as easy as my Sequoias. Some take a bit more effort and room. Did mine on the street in front of my house.

Now I have 3 Avalon’s to do. 🧐

Kent

Reply #15
I purchased two TYC headlight units from Amazon several months ago and tried installing them.  They are very nice units and look great.  However, the post on the bottom is 1/4" too long and it causes the outside of the lens to stand proud of the corner lights.  I contacted amazon and they said  to contact the manufacturer.  I did that and provided photos and they agreed that the units dont fit every vehicle, but refused to do anything about it.  So beware when you buy any units from TYC. Just fyi.

Reply #16
Can you cut off the post a bit?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
While I did use Amazon for my headlight assemblies, I’ve found that RockAuto.com often has a larger offering of headlight assemblies (and likewise with other OEM replacement items) that are designed to fit the various models of a particular vehicle.

Prices for a particular part will vary depending on the variables of selected items. In that regard, RockAuto may be a better choice if several OEM replacement parts are available for the various models of your particular vehicle.

Buying on line has its pros and cons. It’s sometimes difficult to know exactly which part fits the best.

So far, I’ve been lucky.

Kent

Reply #18
I went along with a friend to an auto parts store to buy one of the headlight kits to get rid of the "fog" on the lenses of his headlamps.
The store was out of stock.  As we were leaving the store one of the employees came up to us and asked if we had any half used bottles of brake fluid.   Told us to get a soft cloth, microfiber works well, so does a t-shirt.  Use the cloth as if you were applying wax or polish to your car.  Dampen the cloth with some brake fluid and apply to the fogged plastic of the headlight .
Rub in circular motion, turn cloth and rub off any wet areas. Lightly rub the plastic till it's dry.

He attempted it on the worst of the two front headlamps.  Holy Cow - it worked!   It's only been several months ago that he did it but by golly it's still just as bright and clear as a new headlamp.

He used polishing compound on the other and it helped remove some of the fogging but the results do not compare. 

LD  wannabe will be owner

Reply #19
All Done...

This morning I used the Meguiar’s Headlight Coating on both the new headlight assemblies of my Sequoia and my 2015 Lazy Daze headlights.

The Coating does not change the appearance of either set of headlight assemblies. Only time will tell if it is doing as it claims. “Keeps Headlights Clear For One Year”.

This time next year, I will reapply the Coating. Just another part of vehicle maintenance.

Kent

Reply #20
Good Job Kent!  I did my 2003 Tacoma about 10 months ago. I put on three coats of Meguiars spray coating. It doesn't turn yellow so far, but it does seem to roughen up and turn dull. I suspect (and hope) that the underlying plastic is being protected, and will easily be cleaned up and recoated here in a little while. If it doesn't look any worse than it does now, it may go longer before it gets recoated.
    I looked up replacement headlight fixtures, and at Rock Auto the price is a bit steep for new housings. Typical price is about $370 a pair with sales tax and shipping on top.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #21
Ron,

Thanks. I’m hoping that the LD headlights stay like new for quite some time.

When looking into my nephews ‘09 Honda Accord, prices varied wildly. From $49 each light assembly to nearly $400 a set. I’m thinking it has to do with who makes the part.

Age of the vehicle and popularity may have something to do with overall cost as well. Did you polish your lenses before applying the Meguiar’s?

Kent

Reply #22
I wonder if 303 would do any good.
Dave 04 PleasureWay
2004 PleasureWay TD

Reply #23
Hi Kent. Yes I polished the headlights on my Tacoma 2 years ago. And they would turn yellow again in just a month or so, so I was cleaning and polishing about every two months. I heard about Meguiars and used that. It is still looking much better with just washing the headlights now.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #24
Polishing yellow headlight is just delaying the inevitable, once the top, UV resistant coating is gone, the underlying plastic turns yellow quickly. I have not found a durable replacement UV coating. Re-polishing will make the headlight pattern muddy and reduce or eliminate the low-beam cutoff . Polishing significantly reduces the light thrown on the road.
If you drive at night, new headlights are the right fix.

In the pre-2008 LD, the $50 a set, TYC replacements from Rock Auto have worked fine, with a good pattern. One or two of the spacers, on the rear of the headlights may be the wrong length. They can be twisted, unlocked and removed and replaced with the stock spacers. Unlocking and re-locking the spring clips can be challenging.

2008 and later model headlight assemblies are very expensive, $200 each and up.
I would make some type of headlight cover for use when the rig is parked, to delay the decay

Larry
Larry