Skip to main content
Topic: Old Satellite Removal  (Read 191 times) previous topic - next topic
Old Satellite Removal
I removed a broken, and very large, old satellite dish from the roof of our 02 LD.  The base had been attached with multiple brackets, each having multiple screws.  Each of those screws were long ago heavily sealed.  Since the weight of the base isn't holding the brackets any longer, and the fronts aren't attached to the roof, the front edges of the brackets are free to flex. My concern is whether the air flow may cause issues.  Wondering now if I should somehow seal the brackets or remove them and re-caulk?
2002 30' IB

Re: Old Satellite Removal
Reply #1
I removed a broken, and very large, old satellite dish from the roof of our 02 LD.  The base had been attached with multiple brackets, each having multiple screws.  Each of those screws were long ago heavily sealed.  Since the weight of the base isn't holding the brackets any longer, and the fronts aren't attached to the roof, the front edges of the brackets are free to flex. My concern is whether the air flow may cause issues.  Wondering now if I should somehow seal the brackets or remove them and re-caulk?

Andy Baird removed his. Perhaps he will chime in with tips.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Wondering now if I should somehow seal the brackets or remove them and re-caulk?

The brackets are almost the same as solar panel brackets.
The sealant looks fine and the hardware tight. The brackets supported a dish for years, without obvious damage.
I woud scrub the surface clean, wipe with solvent and overcoat the edges and recover the screws and nuts, using either Dicor or polyurethane.
And then leave it alone. The floating bracket has little stress on it now.

If you hate the idea of leaving the brackets, the holes can be covered with Eternabond tape, eliminating the screws.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks Larry.
2002 30' IB