Skip to main content
Topic: Little bit of a dent (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic
Little bit of a dent
So, as soon as I finished sealing up the seams along the edge of the moho (great advice from you all, project went very smoothly) a tree fell on The Pearl. The local repair place wants to do a whole roof replacement, complements of the insurance company. Given that the damage, as far as I can tell, is only to a small section of one side, is that a sensible option? There is some damage inside the compartment under the major dent, but everything else seems fine, and after a couple of bad rains, there don't seem to be any leaks...
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Re: Little bit of a dent
Reply #1
I don't know where you live, but I will offer my opinion. 

1.  Since water intrusion is the number one killer of RVs, I would certainly seek expert advice on a repair/replace of the roof.
2. The most likely best advice would come from the Mothership.
3. The most likely best repair/replace would be done by the Mothership.
4. If insurance is paying, I certainly would want the best job possible done (see points 2 &3)

I know not everyone can pick up and take off to SoCal, but I would (from West. PA) in this case.

Good Luck
2011 MB

Reply #2
The LD roof is unique. I wouldn't let anyone else replace it but LD itself. It's a single sheet of aircraft grade aluminum placed over luan plywood placed over the support structure. The aluminum is actually fitted loose, attached only at the edges and at the various cutouts, such as the vents. It's loose so that it can expand and contract with heating and cooling.

Placing some other type of roof over that, which is probably what your shop is thinking of, could lead to problems. In addition, from the interior picture it looks possible that the wooden framing has been damaged, perhaps cracked.

I'd send those pictures to Vince at LD and then discuss this with him and make a plan of action. In the meantime, after photographing everything carefully I'd talk with Vince about covering that gap in the roof with more Eternabond. That should keep water out for now.

This is unfortunate but nothing that hasn't happened before. I'm sure the folks at LD will know what is required. And if they feel there is something you or someone else can/should do they will say so. My guess is that the solution would be to remove the edge caps that join the roof to the walls, peel back the roof a bit, inspect and repair the framing, perhaps by replacing some of it or perhaps by straightening and gluing it. Then replacing and resealing the edge caps. Followed by correcting the interior damage.

To me it is always a bad sign when someone recommends something because "the insurance will pay for it," which seems to put financial reimbursement ahead of correct methodology. And once your insurance pays that guy it won't pay someone else if the job needs to be redone.

The roof is in many ways the most important part of a motorhome. I'd be careful with it and only proceed in a manner recommended by LD.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #3
I'd be concerned about the roof frame being bent where the roof and sidewall meet.
Have no idea how much work it would take to straighten that.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Quite right Terry, just cause insurance will pay for it doesn't mean that's the way to go.

I'll be sending pictures to Lazy Daze to see what they have to say. I've always wanted to take a real road trip!
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Reply #5
Pat, Despite its well-earned rep as an on-going traffic jam, LA offers countless attractions, something for every taste. In a week of active exploration, you will barely scratch the surface. Get a room in a desirable location, rent a car and have a wonderful time.  Try to keep your traveling between 9 and 3. Winter is a great time to be there. Be sure you have a GPS, they have more elevated roads than most cities have surface streets. One that shows upcoming exit lanes would be desirable.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Let me second about LA traffic and attractions.  May I also recommend finding a spot to coup then rent a car.   RV driving can be fun but finding a parking spot is like looking for a leprechaun rideing a unicorn.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #7
Pat, Despite its well-earned rep as an on-going traffic jam, LA offers countless attractions, something for every taste. In a week of active exploration, you will barely scratch the surface. Get a room in a desirable location, rent a car and have a wonderful time.  Try to keep your traveling between 9 and 3. Winter is a great time to be there. Be sure you have a GPS, they have more elevated roads than most cities have surface streets. One that shows upcoming exit lanes would be desirable.

Things to do in the Los Angeles area:  https://travel.usnews.com/Los_Angeles_CA/Things_To_Do/

I'll only add, attend a Jeopardy taping!  :)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264