Skip to main content
Topic: Going to Big Bear (Read 144 times) previous topic - next topic
Going to Big Bear
I know that some of you in SoCal know the road to Big Bear quite well.  We’ll be going up next week via HWY 38 or the backway.  I am not concerned with the trip up but the road down has me concerned.  We are staying at Serrano Campground and know the Big Bear area well but have never driven our RV to the Lake. 

We are a 31 ft. IB, and tow a CRV with a brake assist connected between our rig and car.  I am well versed in down shifting to keep my brakes cooler. 

Would you advise not towing on the downhill drive? 

Any and all advice will be appreciated. 

Thanks so much!

Jules
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Re: Going to Big Bear
Reply #1
Jules,

I don’t tow and always go the back way through Lucerne Valley. Far fewer turns and once you get to the bottom of the hill it is only a 20 minute drive to the top.

There are some tight turns at 10 mph. Driving up separated is probably a good idea. I spoke with a gentleman last week while up at Serrano that swears by 38 and pulls a 5th wheel with his Sequoia and has no issues. I prefer the back way up since you never climb to 8,000 feet and then back down to the lake.

Just make sure you are hooked up when you pull into Serrano otherwise it’s $7.00 more per night for the extra vehicle.

I’ll be up there again for a two week stay on the 16th. It’s a great campground and I just can’t get enough.

Enjoy your stay.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Going to Big Bear
Reply #2
Jules - we do Hwy 38 quite often and have never had an issue with the downhill...though we do not tow.......I just keep the rig downshifted and have never felt like I had to ride the brakes at all.....

Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....