Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator Troubleshooting - Eyebrow Board (Read 467 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator Troubleshooting - Eyebrow Board
As I wait to see if my new cooling unit actually cools on A/C I tried propane to test it.

The flame lights and stays lit.
The problem is the control board loses all it's lights.
The only way to get lights back is to power off then back on A/C only.

Any thoughts?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Bizarre refridge issue
Reply #1
How's it cooling - does that appear to be resolved? Progress is good!

If I recall - you have a Dinosaur board for the fridge control correct? That should be perfectly fine. I do believe it has fuses on it - have you checked those? It sounds like a possible faulty connection of some sort. Have you double and triple checked all connections to/from all boards, grounds, etc? The main ones in question here would be the temp sensor inside the fridge and the sensor for the thermocouple.

I'd also methodically go through the troubleshooting guide in the manual as those things are rather comprehensive.
1996 Twin King

Reply #2
How's it cooling - does that appear to be resolved? Progress is good!

If I recall - you have a Dinosaur board for the fridge control correct? That should be perfectly fine. I do believe it has fuses on it - have you checked those? It sounds like a possible faulty connection of some sort. Have you double and triple checked all connections to/from all boards, grounds, etc? The main ones in question here would be the temp sensor inside the fridge and the sensor for the thermocouple.

I'd also methodically go through the troubleshooting guide in the manual as those things are rather comprehensive.

Good news!!
It's getting cold!!!

Thanks for the tips!!
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Any update? Is it cooling the way it should?
1996 Twin King

Reply #4
Any update? Is it cooling the way it should?

On shore power ...it's fine on A/C power and holds at 36 degrees.
Going to gas it has a myriad of issues.
One of them is that the eyebrow control board goes dark. The gas will sometimes not light. Sometimes it will stay lit even with the CB lights dark.

On battery power...it'll work on gas for awhile with lights on CB. I can have it A/C, pull the power (while in "AUTO") , and it will switch to gas but how reliable is the question. I had it running on gas for awhile and it went to "Check" mode while on battery.

It's all so intermittent on gas and the symptoms are many and varied.
Hard to keep track of them but gas is the issue.
I am thinking a new thermocouple?

What is so frustrating is that the controls and gas worked fine before.

I checked all connections and they are good.

Thanks for asking.

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #5
My suggestion: talk to Dinosaur tech support (541-994-4344). They were very helpful when I was having problems with my Dometic fridge a few years back.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
My suggestion: talk to Dinosaur tech support (541-994-4344). They were very helpful when I was having problems with my Dometic fridge a few years back.

Thanks Andy.
I'll call tomorrow.
After further testing is appears that not being in the "Auto" mode is the culprit for gas issues. It seems to function normally in Auto.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Refrigerator Troubleshooting
Reply #8
I am certainly no expert, but since you just referenced the thermo-coupler, I am wondering if you reviewed any of my recent thread regarding similar issues.  I postred a few pix, as well.  Maybe it will help, especially the last few entries to the thread.

Brand new Dometic quit running on gas mode (refrigerator troubleshooting)

Thanks for that link!
I have tested the thermocouple and it's millivolts in flame is 26.5. That's in the proper range for my RM2607.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #9

I called them and we pretty much narrowed it down to the eyebrow board.
Found a replacement at Dryers.com .

Thanks again Andy. Chris and Joe over at Dinosaur were of great help. What fantastic customer service they have!
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #10
I called them and we pretty much narrowed it down to the eyebrow board.
Found a replacement at Dryers.com .

Thanks again Andy. Chris and Joe over at Dinosaur were of great help. What fantastic customer service they have!

Thanks for posting the result, Ted. We've not seen many eyebrow board issues, so this thread will be a good resource under "refrigerator troubleshooting".

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Thanks for posting the result, Ted. We've not seen many eyebrow board issues, so this thread will be a good resource under "refrigerator troubleshooting".

Chris

You're welcome Chris.
The eyebrow gets here tomorrow.
Hopefully that's it.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Refrigerator Troubleshooting - Eyebrow Board
Reply #12
UPDATE

While I'm happy I replaced the eyebrow control it turns out I needed a new pressure regulator.
Preliminary tests are going well. It fires up with a different tone and stays lit so far.
I'm cooling it down now on gas and cannot get it to shutdown like it did before so that's a good sign!

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #13
That's a beautiful flame. Can't wait to hear how it goes.  I can appreciate how troubleshooting can lead to false positives. I was working on a motorcycle which I did a bunch of things to - but it had ultimately failed due to a gummed carb (the simplest, and most common problem). If I had just done only what I knew to do and then worked from there it would have been much easier.

My main lesson learned is that while many things can deteriorate over time - typically it's ONE thing that happens that actually makes it stop working - because two things would be far too coincidental. The rest we deal with after identifying that one thing. Easier said than done.

1996 Twin King

Reply #14
That's a beautiful flame. Can't wait to hear how it goes.  I can appreciate how troubleshooting can lead to false positives. I was working on a motorcycle which I did a bunch of things to - but it had ultimately failed due to a gummed carb (the simplest, and most common problem). If I had just done only what I knew to do and then worked from there it would have been much easier.

My main lesson learned is that while many things can deteriorate over time - typically it's ONE thing that happens that actually makes it stop working - because two things would be far too coincidental. The rest we deal with after identifying that one thing. Easier said than done.

I'm glad I didn't have to take it in for repair $$$.

It's been about 3 hours and it's coming nicely. 47 degrees and dropping.

2021 Mid Bath