Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Starting Problems  (Read 423 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Starting Problems
As posted before in another thread I've been having intermittent starting issues with my generator so I went out to start it today and she fired right up. After several minutes  I checked my guages over the stove and it didn't show the batteries were charging so I turned on the AC then checked again and it showed batteries were now charging. Turned off AC and still showed batteries charging. This has me a bit baffled and I'm wondering for future reference if I want to charge the batteries if I need to put the generator under a load to get that process started and if this is normal. Anyone else notice this with their generator?
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Re: Yet another generator question
Reply #1
Sawyer,

Your issues are not anything that I’ve ever experienced, however, when I run our generator twice a month, I always do it “under a load” such as the AC. I always run it for a minimum of a hour each time to avoid the build up of varnish in the carb.

Some people run their genny just long enough to run an appliance for a few minutes, but this is not a recommended practice. Perhaps as you exercise your generator any varnishing, if present, may flush away. I’m sure I don’t know that this is possible.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Yet another generator question
Reply #2
Sawyer,
My initial thought is that you are seeing is the initial high current charging when the battery voltage has been drawn down during starting.  This is similar to what you see on the truck battery when you start the chassis engine if it had an ammeter, vs. the modern voltmeter.

When you start the truck the alternator produces 100 amps that can recharge the chassis battery to 14 volts in 30 seconds.  When you start the gererator there is typically a 20 second time delay before the transfer switch turns the gererator 120VAC to the coach power panel.  Therefore there is a 20 second delay in  recharging the battery because the coach battery recharging occurs using the 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter.  My old converter only sends 6 amps to the battery.  With only 6 amps to rechage the battery it will likely take longer to restore the voltage to the coach battery and the status lights above the stove. 

My other thought is that the transfer switch may be the old style with a thermal delay switch, and it is slowing down. I had a thermal delay swich fail open which resulted in no generator power to the coach.  It failed while the generator was surging with the AC on.  Definately a bad situation.  I may be wrong i am thinking the amount of 120AC load controlled how fast the thermal switch turned 120VAC to the coach.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Re: Generator Starting Problems
Reply #3
I bought a 94 LD and can't seem to get my jenny started, It did sit for over 18 months in the desert heat. It doesn't seem to be getting any gas.

Reply #4
I bought a 94 LD and can't seem to get my jenny started, It did sit for over 18 months in the desert heat. It doesn't seem to be getting any gas.
Slyde, there could 50 different reasons why your genset won't start. What model LD do you have? What model genset do you have? Describe for us what you are hearing (or not) when you try to start it. Do you have more than 1/4 tank gas in the LD? Do you see any error codes? Have you read the manual? On the home page under Helpful Hints, click on The Lazy Daze Companion and scroll down to "generator". Use the search function and type in Generator Troubleshooting. There will be tons of threads as generator issues are often discussed.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Hi Chris
I got a 94, 30 footer with the 454. Less than a quarter tank. No manual, bought it used, therefore the dilemma.
DS

Reply #6
I got a 94, 30 footer with the 454. Less than a quarter tank. No manual, bought it used, therefore the dilemma.
DS

We have a 2011 27 MB. The manual states that the Ford chassis fuel tank must be at least ¼ full, or the generator will not start.

Maybe you need to add gas.

Sue
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Reply #7

Fill the gas tank and see if it starts.
The generator's fuel pump will not pump fuel if the tank is 1/4 full or less.
This is done to prevent  accidentally running the fuel tank dry.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
I'll give it a try

Reply #9
Hey Larry,
I got her up to 1/2 tank and still no luck. It is not legal right now so I have to carry gas do I need more?
DS

Reply #10
Hey Larry,
I got her up to 1/2 tank and still no luck. It is not legal right now so I have to carry gas do I need more?
DS
Not Larry, but no. Half a tank should be good. Check to make sure the fuel hose has not rotted out and are you seeing any error codes?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
"I got her up to 1/2 tank and still no luck. It is not legal right now so I have to carry gas do I need more?
DS"

DS

Your communication does not tell me anything! By saying "got her up to ½ tank"  leads me to believe you, for some unknown reason, did not fill the tank. Why?

And in saying it's "not legal" I'm confused, what's 'not legal', filling the tank??? And what's with the statement "I have to carry gas do I need more"? What is 'more', perhaps a full tank?

Please enlighten us!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12
"I got her up to 1/2 tank and still no luck. It is not legal right now so I have to carry gas do I need more?
DS"

DS

Your communication does not tell me anything! By saying "got her up to ½ tank"  leads me to believe you, for some unknown reason, did not fill the tank. Why?

And in saying it's "not legal" I'm confused, what's 'not legal', filling the tank??? And what's with the statement "I have to carry gas do I need more"? What is 'more', perhaps a full tank?

Please enlighten us!   ::)

Lazy,
I took this to mean it's not registered to drive so he had to carry cans of gas to the RV to fill it.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #13
Slyde, there could 50 different reasons why your genset won't start...On the home page under Helpful Hints, click on The Lazy Daze Companion and scroll down to "generator". Use the search function and type in Generator Troubleshooting. There will be tons of threads as generator issues are often discussed.
Chris

Slyde, Chris made an excellent recommendation regarding the Companion. A simple test made by placing the generator fuel supply line into a gas can will help point you in the right direction. The Lazy Daze Companion: Generator

Please use discretion when troubleshooting with gasoline. If you do not feel safe doing so, then don't.
Now would be a good time to find a qualified mechanic that is dependable.
Ray
Now doing without...

Reply #14
Sounds like the same issue I had when I first bought my 2005.  It also sat in the desert heat for 2 years.   I disconnected the fuel inlet and ran it into a can to see if the carburetor was being supplied - not a drop.  Replaced the filter and fuel pump and was able to attain a nice steady stream but still the generator wouldn't start.  Ended up just buying a new carburetor and installing it.  Been running fine ever since.  I let the old one soak in Seafoam and cleaned/blew it out best I could thinking it would be nice to have a spare.  But I'll probably not use it.  For maintenance I run my generator once a month, under load(usually the AC) for at least 1 hour.  Never found a rebuild kit for it.  Anybody ever try and succeed?

Bob

2006 RK

Reply #15
"...it's not registered to drive ..."

Thanks Linda!

Aha, the fog is beginning to clear Never would I have imagined that the LD could not be driven, it never crossed my mind. Does that fall into the category of teaching an old dog new tricks?  :-[ 

It took two people to get me to see what's going on. 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
DS

After we got our 2004 the generator would not start. After spending a lot of time with the generator manual and researching error codes, discovered that it starts off the chassis battery and if the battery is low the generator will not start. Replaced the old battery and haven’t had a problem since! 
2004 MB